The Pal Closing

Good news.  What a dump (too bad about talks of relocating)

A popular Winnipeg nightclub is set to close, but will most likely resurface downtown.

The Palomino Club will shut down in early 2016 to make room for condominiums. It will hold its last bash Saturday, January 2.

The Pal has been a Portage Avenue landmark since it opened in 1988 as a predominantly country bar. Over the years, it has attracted many celebrities, professional athletes and even hosted weddings for customers who met there.

The club owns the piece of land on Portage between Goulding and Minto streets, which includes a former chiropractic clinic. It's working with a local developer to turn the property into condos. Managing partner Cary Paul said it made financial sense to develop the land into condos and find a newer venue for the club to expand.

Paul said this likely won’t be the end for the institution, as he owns the name.

He and other partners are currently in negotiations to open The World Famous Palomino Pub and Club in downtown Winnipeg across from MTS Centre, a two-level establishment that would have the same atmosphere as the current location.

The target opening date is the first week of February so they could be in business for the last third of the NHL season.

Paul hopes to retain his staff, as many have worked at the Pal for decades.

One possible location downtown is 323 Portage Avenue, the former site of 4Play Sports Bar. The bar closed at the end of 2012 and though the building had been considered for other entertainment concepts, remains vacant.

Taking over 4Play is a no brainer.  When I worked at the LID, I tried to convince the owner to buy 4Play back when the MTSC opened.  Maybe not as hot an idea then as it is now...lol 

But man, The Pal is just the worst bar in the city.  I know its sort of trashy chic and its cool to say you love it.  But it is such a dump.  The service is horrible too.  Over-crowded all the time (funny how some bars get away with that and others have the LC camped out) and just the nastiest, creepiest crowd groping at anything resembling a female that comes within their pawing radius.

Wish I was old enough to have been there when it was still primarily a country bar. Have heard some great stories about acts that came through when it was a legit honky-tonk back in the day. Went once, about 10 years ago, and had a decent time. Curious, what's in 4-Play now? 'Cause 4-Play shut down right?

I think the last time I was at the Pal was about two years ago.  Had some friends from Brandon coming through town and it was suggested to take them to the Pal.  They hated it and wanted to go home.  Took them to Cowboys instead.  Loved it.  Also had to threaten someone to stop toughing a friend everytime she walked by (at the Pal)  Spent most of my night at the Pal either standing at the bar waiting for a drink or wishing a server would happen by.

The Pal is great in a cheap, Winnipeg kind of way. No line ups, cheapest drinks i've seen in the city out of any bar/club, and usually a decent crowd. You'll meet all types of people there. Had some great times there over the past few years was one of the go to places if you wanted to spontaneously go out on a Monday night.

Maybe not enough room to fight.  Although I know there have been some nasty incidents outside.

Perhaps things are different on a Monday but when I've been there there have always been lines and the drinks arent cheap.  I hate waiting in line since I worked in a bar most of my adult life so we always received courtesy  (no lines/no cover).

Went to the pal a few times when i was younger, never really was to big in to the bar scene but the pal was ok, small for sure, packed for sure, cougars for sure... but it was ok, it's kind of a Winnipeg Icon, the World Famous Pal really, people know of the Pal that's for sure. 

Probably be a good idea for the PAL to relocate across from the MTS Center.. More space. Also surprised with the lack of fights there... that dance floor was maybe built for 40 people and most times it had like 100 people, not sure how there werent any fights really. 

Free Press

You will not see Andrew Ladd, Blake Wheeler and Bryan Little doing any line dancing across the street from the MTS Centre this hockey season.

Cary Paul, owner of the Palomino Club, has decided against moving his iconic country music concept into the old 4Play location on Portage Avenue. His plans have not changed, however, to close down the 27-year-old concept on Jan. 2.

"In my gut, the space didn’t have a Palomino feel," he said.

He had plans to put a pub on the main floor level and move the "Pal" into the lower level but after hearing from his many customers via the club’s Facebook page and not being comfortable with the numbers he was shown, he’s putting any further plans on hold.

A couple of weeks after shuttering the Palomino Club, he’s going travelling for three months.

"I might look for my own building with free parking to get a similar feel to the Palomino Club," he said.

geoff.kirbyson@freepress.mb.ca