Bike Tour to 2014 LDC

Chaosmonkey

So it has been in my mind for awhile now, and I think I've convince one friend so far.

I'm thinking about taking a 5-6 day bike tour from Winnipeg to Regina for LDC 2014. If anyone else here is down with that kind of thing, it would be awesome to have some more company on the trip. 

For the rest of you, feel free to tell me I'm crazy.

I've batted around the idea of doing something like this before.

Have you ever done anything like this in the past?  I've never done any highway riding and I'm concerned about how safe it really is.  Also what do you do about the nights?  Is it possible to plan it so that you end every day near a hotel or do you camp out somewhere?

I've batted around the idea of doing something like this before.

Have you ever done anything like this in the past?  I've never done any highway riding and I'm concerned about how safe it really is.  Also what do you do about the nights?  Is it possible to plan it so that you end every day near a hotel or do you camp out somewhere?

I have not done a long trip like this before. Just into birds hill for a night or two. My friend I will be going with went to Sault St. Marie last year. The plan is to camp it overnights, there are pretty decent spaced out rest areas near towns in case we need supplies.

It would be a fun thing but that highway is dangerous because of the traffic.

Not really... as long as you ride safe (I.E. don't weave and don't ride at night) cars can see you from forever away and tend to take a REALLY wide path around bicycles on the highway.  Combined with dual lane highways means that cars pass you with a good bit of berth (City biking is worse)

As much as people drive retardedly noone wants to be responsible for killing someone with their car... I find when people are less comfortable with the conditions (higher speeds, bad weather, winter, etc) cars tend to give bikes more space and it certainly feels more safe as a cyclist (Summer biking was always more harrowing than winter w.r.t. cars since in the summer drivers sometimes seem to feel like they only need to give you a foot of space while passing at 60 km/h)

But Manitoba being the fools they are have the speed limit at 100 for some reason while Sask and Alberta have it at 110, it's insanity I tell ya.

it's 110 from Virden to border. Will be 110 the rest of the way once the shoulders are paved.

But Manitoba being the fools they are have the speed limit at 100 for some reason while Sask and Alberta have it at 110, it's insanity I tell ya.

it's 110 from Virden to border. Will be 110 the rest of the way once the shoulders are paved.

well let's just say that last time I was on that road it's a good thing there were no cops around cause I was not taking my time getting back to Calgary. raising the speed limit really just lowers potential fines.