New rules are definitely contributing to lousy defence throughout the league

Comparing pass defence in CFL to the NFL is apples to oranges because the receivers are already up to full speed when they cross the line of scrimmage.

Anyone know In the evolution of the CFL game when did the shot-gun snap became the norm?  If the CFL needs to compensate the advantage the O has been given they could eliminate the use of the shot-gun snap. 

I think DCs will eventually figure out the new rules and adjust. Find a way to shut down the OCs, differently, and within the rules. It's still really early, and I think we all expected (...or should have...) that it would take awhile for the defenses to catch on...

I think you are right. A big shift to give advantage to offence and special teams is going to show immediate results. The DC's will figure out how to shut it down, at least that's what I'm telling myself so I can sleep at night anyways.

Comparing pass defence in CFL to the NFL is apples to oranges because the receivers are already up to full speed when they cross the line of scrimmage.

Anyone know In the evolution of the CFL game when did the shot-gun snap became the norm?  If the CFL needs to compensate the advantage the O has been given they could eliminate the use of the shot-gun snap. 

No offence, but that's up there with the 3 point convert among bad rule change ideas IMO.

If anything the game needs to be simplified and less complicated to officiate.

Its really going to take a decade or two to fix the problem of bad officiating. I have been to a few high school and youth football games and there are virtually no young refs. If there were anyplace for a ref to screw up a few calls and really learn it would be as a young official. But how many kids want to put up with crap from parents and coaches if they screw up a few calls. CFL has to find a way along with provincial football associations to get more youths into officiating. So by they time they are 20 they can start moving up to CIS and keep developing.

Its really going to take a decade or two to fix the problem of bad officiating. I have been to a few high school and youth football games and there are virtually no young refs. If there were anyplace for a ref to screw up a few calls and really learn it would be as a young official. But how many kids want to put up with crap from parents and coaches if they screw up a few calls. CFL has to find a way along with provincial football associations to get more youths into officiating. So by they time they are 20 they can start moving up to CIS and keep developing.

I agree, but it would be very difficult to increase the number of young officials given the way football is scheduled in Manitoba.  If you're playing football, it would be very difficult to also officiate it because basically all the games are on the weekend.  They've started to get a little more creative with scheduling, but mostly due to lack of fields.  I don't think there would be many teenagers who simply wish to officiate a sport and not play it.  They should go hard at the guys playing majors (18-22) and push it as a way to make extra money.