Game 46: Jets @ Blackhawks

#Blackhawks Carcillo:"It was just kind of a hockey play and it was at the end of a shift. I must have just caught him between some padding."

— Brian Hedger (@BrianHedger)

January 17, 2015

Sure its a hockey play, but it is an illegal one.  It is called cross checking.  And he did it to Perreault at the end of a play where it wouldn't normally be expected.  Unfortunate for Carcillo, but they suspend based on the result and reputation.  He has a bad reputation and the result was he took Perreault out for at least that game.

Unfortunate for Carcillo, really? The only unfortunate thing about him is he's in the league. He's a beer league talent, why is he even on the ice?

Just one more thing, Anybody still want to trade Bogo for Eberle? Like that was ever going to happen? Since returning from injury,BOGO has been a beast, this is the Bogo everyone has been waiting for. The guy is a young d man still trying to find his niche and these last few games, i think he's found it. He's not gonna put up tons and tons of points altho he does have more points this year then he did all of last year but the guy is a reliable shut down d man who can score from time to time and still young enough to get better, hasn't reached his prime really. D men take longer to reach their prime. You don't trade guys like Bogo, you build around guys like him. Our D is scary and when Trouba comes back and Harrison more than likely goes upstairs, what team is gonna want to face Buff/Chiarot,Bogo/Toby and Trouba/Stuart. What a luxury to have these guys.  This is how winning teams are built, from the goaltender on out, not sure why anyone would want to move a guy like Bogo really. D men like that don't grow on trees, Bet Montreal is kicking themselves for moving Ryan McDonough and i know if we moved Bogo, in a couple years, we would be doing the same. And especially not for a winger or someone like that from a losing culture who can't play D.

As much as it pains me to say this, and it does, cuz he's a beast, if you are looking to move a d man, i'd look at Buff, he'd bring the most back... but ideally Buff Bogo and Trouba are all around for a very long time and we just find a way to make it work. I'm guessing that's what they will do too. Find a way to make it work. 

Bogo is playing great but once Trouba is back, he is our third best right-side D.  I'd still trade him - not necessarily for Eberle but for a RW/C type

I was up for it last year but trading Buff seems crazy right now, you talk about how it takes longer for D to mature and then suggest we get rid of Buff in his prime.

Something will have to give... Buff will want $8 mill, Trouba likely 6-6.5 and then Toby and Bogo at 5.5... that's a lot of cap

Trouba will probably get a bridge deal, that's what the Jets do. Buff at 8 million? Not really, maybe 7 but really that's only 1.5 or so more than it is now, You are gonna have guys like Ehlers Petan Morrissey and the little known center from Michigan Andrew Copp coming in to on Entry Level Contracts. It's not a lot of cap.. And regardless what anyone says, Bogo is not the third pairing d man, he's at worst a top 4. Actually he's playing top 2 minutes right now with Toby. 

Trading a dman who is not in his prime is crazy talk. Teams are built from the net out. What it seems to be is some people (maybe just one) wants the Jets to mortgage the future, but the future looks bright and their are ways around the cap.. Don't re-sign slater, move Thorburn or Postma, Stuart even... Is frolik gonna stick around? rumour has it he wants close to 5 million or so a year for 5 years. Do we need him with prospects coming up? 

You don't trade top 4 d men and that's what bogo is, for forwards and we don't need centers really. We have many of them. 

Jets are looking for a 3rd line right winger, they don't need a top 6 winger right now and with ehlers and petan coming soon, they want need wingers for a while. 

Hey but i got an idea, let's trade a top 4 d man (that's what bogo is) so then when people get hurt, we can call up ellerby or play pardy.. Great idea.. Let's just totally disrupt the obvious chemistry this team has cuz i mean we are totally in rebuild mode right now anyways, we aren't 5th overall in the western conference and only 2 points back of both Chicago and St Louis, Let's trade a top 4 d man for an easily picked up winger that we really don't need right now. 

Makes no sense at all really.

Forwards are a dime a dozen, we don't need centers, we have one that nobody has heard of that the Jets are high on in Andrew Copp, we have 2, could argue 3 centers already in Little,Scheif and Lowry (who could easily switch over to the wing) and Copp takes his center spot on the third line.

Wingers? Hello Petan and Ehlers. 

Why would we even think about moving a top 4 d man right now.. it's crazy talk and it won't happen, It's more likely we move Buff than Bogo in my opinion only due to the fact that Bogo is still yet to reach his prime and Buff is in his right now. 

Want to talk realistic trades? It involves these guys here (Frolik, cuz he's not signed after this season, Postma,Pardy,Harrison probably,Slater,Thorburn,Peluso, Halischuk, Prospects not named Hellebyuck,Comrie,Morrissey,Ehlers,Petan,Copp) That's about it right now.

You gonna see a postma/burmi type of trade for a 3rd line winger on an expiring or cheap contract. That's it. No big deals to be made here. Why? the team is playing well and looking to add, not subtract. 

Mortgaging the future?  Okey dokey.

Trouba and Buff are better than Bogo... if we can afford to keep them all great.  Trying to think of a team that has a 5.5 million 3rd D pairing.

You're on glue if you think Petan, Ehlers and Copp will all be on the roster next year - probably just one of them, would think Petan.

I think we see Morrissey and Glover before Copp ever makes this roster.

And not re-signing Frolik would be just plain stupid.  If forwards were a dime a dozen, everyone would roll four lines every game.

Finding someone who gels with Kane and Lowry puts us in the elite of the league... you need three #1 lines to make a playoff run these days.

#Blackhawks Carcillo:"It was just kind of a hockey play and it was at the end of a shift. I must have just caught him between some padding."

— Brian Hedger (@BrianHedger)

January 17, 2015

Sure its a hockey play, but it is an illegal one.  It is called cross checking.  And he did it to Perreault at the end of a play where it wouldn't normally be expected.  Unfortunate for Carcillo, but they suspend based on the result and reputation.  He has a bad reputation and the result was he took Perreault out for at least that game.

Yeah right Carcillo! The guy has his back to you....he doesn't have the puck...you viciously cross check him...that's only YOU'RE kind of hockey play.

Blake Wheeler has become the unofficial captain of the team really, not sure why anyone would say he seems disengaged, 12 goals 23 assists for 35 points. Third lead scorer on the team  behind Ladd who is the leading point getter and Little, Those 2 benefit from having Wheeler on their line big time. Wheeler is also a plus 9 so he has played very good defensive hockey. 

I am saying that he looks disengaged because the last two years he was driving hard for the puck and was actually able to take it to the net and do something....  this year it seems to be so easy for the opponents to strip the puck from him and he gives up on a lot of plays....  he has the points (mainly assists) but I think that it's a result of the other two guys on his line playing lights out.    

He's not under achieving like Kane but to me it seems like he was better the last few seasons...

I think Floyd you need to pay more attention. Jets are very high on copp. He will be on the team next season if he decides to leave school. He is pro ready. No you don't need 3 #1 lines, you need d men tho. Bogo isn't being trades anytime soon

Look at the teams that win cups... three 'top' lines and two very strong D pairings, with two key defencemen that play half the game.

Either way, I'd keep this team in tact at deadline - maybe trade a prospect or pick for forward depth and make a playoff run this year before we lose guys to FA in a year or two.

Copp and Glover are at least two or three years away...  Petan and Morrissey will be here next year, maybe Ehlers and Lodge after that.