Bombers extend Derek Jones

Mike

Bombers extend DB Derek JonesTuesday, December 16th, 2014

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today are pleased to announce the club has extended the contract of National defensive back Derek Jones.

Jones was selected by Winnipeg in the fourth round, 29th overall in last year’s CFL Draft. He appeared in all 18 games in 2014, making six defensive tackles and six special teams tackles.

“Derek is bright young man, who played solid for us on special teams, and also saw spot duty on defence,” said Blue Bombers General Manager Kyle Walters. “He’s a guy we feel is maybe underrated at this point, but after only one season in our league, we wanted to make sure he remained a Blue Bomber moving forward. This is a player who will just continue to get better and that’s what we look forward to watching.”

Like this signing lots, very under appreciated foot soldier and didn't look out of place when he had to step in and play on D also.

Regardless of what some think, we have been getting lots of bomber news this off-season so far, lots of signings, lots of interesting little blog pieces done by darren cameron, those who don't think things are being done just need to look a bit harder and you will see that quite a bit is happening this off-season so far.

Yup no coaching announcements but lots of other news for sure. 

It was done by Dec 15 so Walters obviously wanted the bonus against this years cap.

I'm confused by this. Today is the 16th? And I wouldn't automatically say a 2nd year backup 4th rounder would necessarily get a bonus.

But what's the significance of the 15th?

It was done by Dec 15 so Walters obviously wanted the bonus against this years cap.

I'm confused by this. Today is the 16th? And I wouldn't automatically say a 2nd year backup 4th rounder would necessarily get a bonus.

Someone posted or tweeted that Dec 15 is the date where contracts must be signed if the team wants that bonus money to count towards the current years cap.

And here's what Cameron told me on Twitter:

@Darren_Cameron: @garrettbillan1 appreciate it. And yes, it was done by Dec 15.

Someone posted or tweeted that Dec 15 is the date where contracts must be signed if the team wants that bonus money to count towards the current years cap.

Oh cool. You learn something every day. Thanks!

Which is funny cause his blog indicates it was in the midst of being done today.

Not too often does a Canadian rookie get an extension after his first season, so quite the accomplishment for Jones.

Good player.

And awesome drafting by Walters.

Yup. Great pick and value.

It wasn't a well kept secret that the Bombers were high on Briggs and Jones leading up to the draft.  Walters made the moves to get players he wanted rather than picking from what was available when our turn came around, and that's what I give the biggest thumbs up for from his first draft as GM.  He worked to take control of his destiny.

Time will tell if his pre-draft scouting of these players was correct.

Good signing.  If this is a guy we want to keep, make sure we keep him.