Stampeder vs Bombers Radio Ad

iso_55

Ad on the radio here in Calgary on the radio for this weekend's game: Little kid talking to his dad asking why the W on the Bomber helmet isn't a big L for loser. Dad tries to explain the W means Winnipeg & he spells it real slow. "W...I..N...N.. for win" says dad. The kid fires back. "So they can't even spell the word win? That's a shocker!" Just a real insult of an ad. At least to me anyway, 

Of course we all know that the Stamps should have a C on their helmet & not a horse. Not for Calgary but for the word CHOKE. In the Stampeders defense, this is a radio ad no doubt written by the rightsholder 770AM CHQR as it isn't playing on any other station here from what I know. So, the radio guys made this 30 second POS ad. 

Calgary radio acts like douchebags? No kidding. The egos by fans and media in Southern Alberta with regards to their sports teams are out of control and they are the most unjustified ever. You'd think that the Stamps would be a bit more careful about talking about another teams lack of winning when they've got themselves quite the reputation of choking when the games actually matter. All those great regular seasons and only the one Grey Cup to show for it since Hufnagel showed up. 

It was a dickish ad for sure. 

Even worse was one of the ******* on CJAY, one of those "rah rah local sports team!" types who doesn't know a thing about sports was talking about the stamps before the last game against the Bombers and how the stamps were on the bye but they have the Bombers next week so it's basically 2 weeks off. Too many egos in that city. They act like the Flames aren't a joke of a team too. 

I find with the exception of a few most Calgary sportscasters & writers are clued totally out about the CFL. The CHQR radio crew know the league very well as they are the Stamps rights holders for local radio as do guys like George Johnson of the Calgary Herald & Scott Mitchell of the Calgary Sun. There's also a female beat reporter for the Herald that is knowledgeable. But the others don't follow it closely enough or prefer the NFL. They all love the Flames though.

Does Gerry Forbes still do the announcing at Stampeder games? He was always a total ******. I remember one game I was at, Matt Dunigan threw the ball to where a receiver was supposed to be, and so it just hit the turf. Forbes says "Matt Dunigan completes the pass to the Stampeder logo" - big laugh by the crowd. Totally non-classy. You don't expect the PA announcer to insult the visiting team.

It was a dickish ad for sure. 

Even worse was one of the ******* on CJAY, one of those "rah rah local sports team!" types who doesn't know a thing about sports was talking about the stamps before the last game against the Bombers and how the stamps were on the bye but they have the Bombers next week so it's basically 2 weeks off. Too many egos in that city. They act like the Flames aren't a joke of a team too. 

Unfortunately for Bomber fans, that was a pretty accurate assessment of how the team has played for the last half of the season. The only way the Bombers will regain any respect is to play Calgary tough right down to the wire today. I'm not really expecting the Big Blue to win, but it would be cause for great rejoicing if they somehow did.

In sports everything goes in cycles. Team are on top. Then the same team on the bottom. Some do seem to have more of a roller coaster ride than others but eventually it will be Calgary's turn to suck... Could happen next year or 5 years from now. But it will happen.