25th Year

LeBird

. One of the main reasons for another failed season (getting tired of this crap) is that we had a green head coach and poor recycled offensive and defensive co-ordinators. The change starts there. Failing to do that will only bring us more of the same.

and do you understand why that was? You know how undesirable a place you are for coaches when the average head coach gets 2 or 3 seasons before being fired and coordinators are lucky to get 1? Which proven coordinators do you suppose would want to come here if we fired the ones we have this year? You guys know that the lack of stability in the coacing and GM ranks is the reason guys like Stubler decided not to come here? 

This happens in other cities and yet they have no problem hiring quality coordinators and coaches afterwards.  Ie Toronto, Hamilton, Montreal, Edmonton, Saskatchewan...pretty much the whole league actually.

Does it? BC has been pretty stable with Wally as GM and his guys taking over after him, Hufnagel has been in Calgary for a long time running things, Popp has been in Montreal forever, Barker in Toronto for a long time... Saskatchewan had some turmoil for a while and it got them into a tricky spot but now it's stable again. The Bombers though? 4 different Gms in the past 7 seasons and 5 head coaches in that same time frame. You wonder why we can't get anyone with a proven track record to come here? It's basically been a guarantee to have your reputation trashed. 

Are we to assume the people we fired have done well in other cities after being fired here?

That's what I'm saying, guys who were considered some of the best assistant coaches in the league came here and now are lucky to get work elsewhere. Winnipeg has a reputation of chewing up coaches and spitting them out and leaving them almost unemployable. That's why we need to stick with these guys again. They were not so bad as to warrant dismissal. When I look at this team I see bigger problems with the roster make up than with coaching. So keep the coaches, get that stability and work on getting better players on the team and see where that takes us. If we get to the point where the roster looks really good and the coaches aren't pulling their weight then we can make changes, but right now the roster has too many holes. 

Burke had no problem getting a job in Toronto.  Doug Berry was hired as the offensive coordinator in Regina and also hired by Montreal at the beginning of last season and was let go in both situations - probably has something to do with his demeanour.  Marshall (average to below average D-coordinator) went to Hamilton then Saskatchewan, then Edmonton.  Reed went to Edmonton for 3 years as head coach.  Kelly went to a high school I believe lol which is where he belongs.  Lapo (average to above average offensive coordinator and average coach at best) hasn't been hired yet, that's the only one I can think of.  However, he is enjoying his TSN gig and still being paid by the Bombers for this year I believe (final year of contract?)  He can probably get a job as a coordinator in the next year or so.  Who are these assistant coaches the Bombers chewed up and spit out that can no longer get jobs?

Winnipeg has a reputation of hiring folks who've never done the job before and those who are on their last chance because no one else wants them.  It's not much of a surprise that they can't get the same jobs elsewhere.

Etcheverry fits that description.  Bellefeuille might too.  Not sure if anyone else would have been interested in him.

. One of the main reasons for another failed season (getting tired of this crap) is that we had a green head coach and poor recycled offensive and defensive co-ordinators. The change starts there. Failing to do that will only bring us more of the same.

and do you understand why that was? You know how undesirable a place you are for coaches when the average head coach gets 2 or 3 seasons before being fired and coordinators are lucky to get 1? Which proven coordinators do you suppose would want to come here if we fired the ones we have this year? You guys know that the lack of stability in the coacing and GM ranks is the reason guys like Stubler decided not to come here? 

This happens in other cities and yet they have no problem hiring quality coordinators and coaches afterwards.  Ie Toronto, Hamilton, Montreal, Edmonton, Saskatchewan...pretty much the whole league actually.

Does it? BC has been pretty stable with Wally as GM and his guys taking over after him, Hufnagel has been in Calgary for a long time running things, Popp has been in Montreal forever, Barker in Toronto for a long time... Saskatchewan had some turmoil for a while and it got them into a tricky spot but now it's stable again. The Bombers though? 4 different Gms in the past 7 seasons and 5 head coaches in that same time frame. You wonder why we can't get anyone with a proven track record to come here? It's basically been a guarantee to have your reputation trashed. 

Are we to assume the people we fired have done well in other cities after being fired here?

That's what I'm saying, guys who were considered some of the best assistant coaches in the league came here and now are lucky to get work elsewhere. Winnipeg has a reputation of chewing up coaches and spitting them out and leaving them almost unemployable. That's why we need to stick with these guys again. They were not so bad as to warrant dismissal. When I look at this team I see bigger problems with the roster make up than with coaching. So keep the coaches, get that stability and work on getting better players on the team and see where that takes us. If we get to the point where the roster looks really good and the coaches aren't pulling their weight then we can make changes, but right now the roster has too many holes. 

Tell us where you get all that stuff!  Kelly, La Police Burke and even O'Shea had never been a head coach before because no one else thought they might be head coach material. So it would  be fair to say we chewed and spat out what we bit into in the first place. We have pretty good stability at the present but it's a losing stability. Furthermore, the head coaches we fired  were not hired by other teams because they looked like the had suffered a complete lobotomy in Winnipeg. They were just not good enough to be a head coach.

Sacking coaches if they are incompetent cannot be used as an excuse for an inability to attract coaching talent. Coaches have egos as much as anyone else, and probably more so, and if they are looking at a team which keeps lousy coaches year after year, they would have to assume that the organization has no real drive to win (like the Toronto Make-beliefs). Some people have a knack of being able to spot talent and others do not (like the Toronto Make-beliefs). If you set your PVR to record "The Biggest Loser" it will automatically record all Leafs games.

Tell us where you get all that stuff!  Kelly, La Police Burke and even O'Shea had never been a head coach before because no one else thought they might be head coach material. So it would  be fair to say we chewed and spat out what we bit into in the first place. We have pretty good stability at the present but it's a losing stability. Furthermore, the head coaches we fired  were not hired by other teams because they looked like the had suffered a complete lobotomy in Winnipeg. They were just not good enough to be a head coach.

O'Shea was interviewed for the heading coaching job in Sask in 2011 when Marshall was hired. I know its been a tough season, but to say no one see's O'Shea as head coaching material is untrue. He is respected I believe around the league.

O'Shea was interviewed for the heading coaching job in Sask in 2011 when Marshall was hired. I know its been a tough season, but to say no one see's O'Shea as head coaching material is untrue. He is respected I believe around the league.

I think you took the O'Shea reference out of context. I guess the sentence was poorly written. The "They was meant to reference those who were fired as we had been talking about. I have never called for O'Shea to be fired this year but I think he and his group have to show some improvement.