Young Stars

BomberBall

I don't mind Ehlers going back to Junior, but it really sucks we can't send Petan & Morrissey to the minors if they don't make the Jets. Morrissey has already shown he can play at the AHL level. Junior would be a big step back.

Ehlers could be a Patrick Kane kinda guy. There is nothing left for him to learn in Halifax. He's going to be a superstar in the NHL, better sooner than later ;-). I hope they all get a very good look.

Because he looked good in a rookie tournament? Come on now.  I don't disagree that Ehlers has a lot of potential, but to suggest there's nothing left to learn in the CHL is just crazy. Staying in juniors has never ruined a prospect. Especially one who is on the smaller side. Nothing wrong with letting him bulk up and work on some things against his peers. Eberle isn't the best comparable since I think Ehlers is a better skater, but Eberle was certainly not hurt by finishing his junior career even if he probably could have played in the NHL right away.

No because of his body of work last year in Halifax And staying juniors too long can hamper development, that's a fact. I'd like to see him here if he can make the cut. Like I said every player is different. Size never hurt Kane, Giroux or St Louis and they haven't exactly bulked up have they?

Ehlers is listed anywhere from 163-175, he could stand to put on about 10 pounds and then learn to play with that extra weight. I'd like to see what he does with a full season without Drouin. I'm not saying that Drouin inflated his totals, but a full season where Ehlers is the undisputed number one guy on that team would be good for him. Also, I don't think there are any spots available in the top six and he'd get a lot more ice time in Halifax.

I'd like to see Ehlers on the Jets now but thats desperate thinkin on my part. Morrisey/Petan I think are back to junior as they cant go to AHL right?

BTW, any thoughts on Lodge?

It's time for Chevy to start implementing his "build from the draft" plan. We have enough deadwood at the bottom to create the opportunities for prospects to step up. Have only seen lodge in the tournament, he looked good. Nice hands.
I'm guessing that we'll see a lot more prospects in the Jets lineup in 2015-16. Pardy, Halischuk, Slater, and Galiardi are all UFAs at the end of this season and it'd be shocking/incredibly disappointing to see all of them resigned

I don't mind Ehlers going back to Junior, but it really sucks we can't send Petan & Morrissey to the minors if they don't make the Jets. Morrissey has already shown he can play at the AHL level. Junior would be a big step back.

Ehlers could be a Patrick Kane kinda guy. There is nothing left for him to learn in Halifax. He's going to be a superstar in the NHL, better sooner than later ;-). I hope they all get a very good look.

Because he looked good in a rookie tournament? Come on now.  I don't disagree that Ehlers has a lot of potential, but to suggest there's nothing left to learn in the CHL is just crazy. Staying in juniors has never ruined a prospect. Especially one who is on the smaller side. Nothing wrong with letting him bulk up and work on some things against his peers. Eberle isn't the best comparable since I think Ehlers is a better skater, but Eberle was certainly not hurt by finishing his junior career even if he probably could have played in the NHL right away. 

No because of his body of work last year in Halifax And staying juniors too long can hamper development, that's a fact. I'd like to see him here if he can make the cut. Like I said every player is different. Size never hurt Kane, Giroux or St Louis and they haven't exactly bulked up have they?

Name just one player who hampered their development staying in junior. Just one. 

Agreed. If nothing else, it would show if he can be that dominant without Jonathon Drouin on his line.

Name just one player who hampered their development staying in junior. Just one. 

Ehlers would only be in his 2nd year in the Q too.

Ehlers could benefit from another year in junior, but I don't think he's going to look out of place during preseason and the 8 (9?) game period before he has to stay up for good or be sent down. I agree that Morissey should stay with the Jets, he's past the WHL now after looking so comfortable during the IceCaps' playoff run.

I'd like to see O'Dell, Lowry, Klingberg, and Lipon get some time with the Jets during the coming season. We know what we get from Thorburn, Wright, and Tangredi, I don't think those younger guys would be any worse.

Wright signed with the KHL

Ehlers could benefit from another year in junior, but I don't think he's going to look out of place during preseason and the 8 (9?) game period before he has to stay up for good or be sent down. I agree that Morissey should stay with the Jets, he's past the WHL now after looking so comfortable during the IceCaps' playoff run.

I'd like to see O'Dell, Lowry, Klingberg, and Lipon get some time with the Jets during the coming season. We know what we get from Thorburn, Wright, and Tangredi, I don't think those younger guys would be any worse.

Wright signed with the KHL

Thank god.

LOL. That's all i have to say to those comparing Hell to PAV 2.0. One game, One Practice, D pretty much nowhere to be found on multiple goals last night.. Soft Goals? which ones? the one from the point that got redirected in front of the net? The one where he made 3 straight saves only to be beaten on the 4th chance? 

Seriously? Pav 2.0 after one game? What a joke. Honestly, what a joke. 

Whatever.

It's a lazy comparison.  You leave out all of the player's attributes and generalize based on a singular occurrence.  As far as I'm concerned, calling anyone Someoneelse2.0 means there is little of substance being argued.  Based on the criteria used, Bo Levi Mitchell, Drew Willy, Dan Lafevour, Darian Durant and Thomas DeMarco are all "Buck 2.0".  And last month, were Collaros and Reilly "Buck 2.0"?

Hellebuyck has enough good things on his resume to not be dismissed after one somewhat scrambly game in a pre-pre-season tournament.

As for their roles with the Jets this year, there is likely only 1 forward position available barring injuries, and none of the guys we really want to see will benefit from being on the 4th line.  Ehlers might surprise me, but I'm guessing he's got another year in junior on the horizon, especially with his age and size.  Lowry is the most physically ready, but I could see Petan showing enough smarts to get the job.  He's always going to be an undersized forward in the NHL, so if his mental game is ready now there isn't much else to wait for with him.

On the back end, there aren't any positions open for the rookies like there is at forward; rather, it's simply a question of whether Morrissey is ready.  82 games of physical, defensively responsible play against men.  If he is, he creates a space for himself and gets the job of one of the veterans.

I don't think the first half of Shiefles season was helped by staying in junior, he was light on his feet and thought he could play the junior game in a mans league.  I'm not saying it's bad overall, I just think the players I mentioned aren't going to benefit much by staying there.

Agreed. If nothing else, it would show if he can be that dominant without Jonathon Drouin on his line.

Ehlers:

2013-2014
CHL Rookie of the Year
QMJHL All-Rookie Team
QMJHL Best Plus/Minus (+65)
QMJHL Best Professional Prospect "Mike Bossy Trophy"
QMJHL Most Assists by Rookie (55)
QMJHL Most Goals by Rookie (49)
QMJHL Most Points by Rookie (104)
QMJHL Offensive Rookie of the Year "Michel Bergeron Trophy"
QMJHL Rookie of the Year
QMJHL Second All-Star Team
U20 WJC (D1A) Gold Medal
 Awards by league
- CHL Rookie of the Year 13/14
- QMJHL All-Rookie Team 13/14
- QMJHL Best Plus/Minus 13/14
- QMJHL Best Professional Prospect "Mike Bossy Trophy" 13/14
- QMJHL Most Assists by Rookie 13/14
- QMJHL Most Goals by Rookie 13/14
- QMJHL Most Points by Rookie 13/14
- QMJHL Offensive Rookie of the Year "Michel Bergeron Trophy" 13/14
- QMJHL Rookie of the Year 13/14
- QMJHL Second All-Star Team 13/14
- U18 WJC (D1A) Gold Medal 12/13
- U18 WJC (D1A) Most Assists 12/13
- U20 WJC (D1A) Gold Medal 13/14

So what more do you think he can do in Junior?
He's gonna get a shot like every other prospect in camp, I don't know why anyone would be opposed to him making the team.

Ehlers is listed anywhere from 163-175, he could stand to put on about 10 pounds and then learn to play with that extra weight. I'd like to see what he does with a full season without Drouin. I'm not saying that Drouin inflated his totals, but a full season where Ehlers is the undisputed number one guy on that team would be good for him. Also, I don't think there are any spots available in the top six and he'd get a lot more ice time in Halifax.

You're probably right. I'm no hockey genius and don't claim to be. I am however very excited about our top prospects and would love to see them make the team. I'm not so sure we're going to have any more success standing pat than we had last year. Maurice in today's presser did emphasise 3 new systems he's going to employ this year. I'm looking forward to seeing how that works, maybe it will bring the best out of the guys we have. I sure hope so. Our top prospects are going to be players at some point, and that's worth waiting for.

That's great. Not sure how it shows what he can do without Drouin, but great nonetheless.

I'm sure nobody will be opposed to keeping him around If he shows he can be a legit top 9 forward . If he can't fill that role he needs to go back though.

Well I think his record speaks for itself. With or without Drouin most analysts think he's a franchise player.

But yeah, if he goes down, too bad he can't go to the rock, that would be better for him IMO.

I don't think the first half of Shiefles season was helped by staying in junior, he was light on his feet and thought he could play the junior game in a mans league.  I'm not saying it's bad overall, I just think the players I mentioned aren't going to benefit much by staying there.

So because Scheifelle had an adjustment period he stayed in junior too long? Come on now. Every player has that period. Scheifele is a great example of why you do well to leave your guys in jr. those extra couple years. There is not one case of a player being hurt by being left in jrs too long, but there are plenty of cases of guys not living up to their potential because they were rushed into the NHL too soon.