Early Standings - Your Best Judgment

BigBlue

When it comes to putting our name to forecasts &  predictions many say they want to wait to see how training camp turns out first .... well here we are two games in .... what is your best judgment about how all 9 teams will end up in the combined standings?

BTW Why?

Who would have thought Winnipeg & Edmonton would be leading the pack at this point?

My best Guess:

1.  Calgary - the best  talent

2. Toronto - they play eastern teams

3. Winnipeg - O'Shea knows how to get everyone playing as a team

4. Regina - still a lot of talent but with significant cracks

5. Edmonton - grit in players and management

6. Montreal - if Smith turns into a Canadian QB

7. Ottawa -  Burris has a litle bit of talent with him

8. , Vancouver - talent failure .... too old .... too thin

9. Hamilton - Austin's destructive anger

My picks are based on quality of coaching AND QB skill level (inclusive of the o-line protecting him)

1. Toronto - despite us exposing them, I can't see them being that far down playing east teams so much

2. Calgary - best of the west, but plays more quality teams on a regular basis

3. Saskatchewan - despite the Toronto bashing, I think they are more complete

4. Winnipeg - looking good so far if they can keep Willy upright

5. BC - Looking not too great so far. Didn't in 2011 either. When Lulay comes back I think we'll see a different team.

6. Montreal - Still got the tools once the QB gets more experience

7. Ottawa - Enough pieces to make a go of it most weeks

8. Edmonton - I know they are 2-0, but I just feel like they won't last.

9. Hamilton - Just awful so far and with that O-Line I can't see it changing much.

I see this quite often on here, and honestly don't understand it in a 9 team format, can you or someone else explain why you think this will be relevant to overall record?

5 West teams play 2 games against each east team (8) and remainder (10) against west

4 East teams play 2 games against each west team (10) and remainder (8) against east

So a west team plays 10 against west and 8 against east

And a east team has  10 against west and 8 against east

I see this quite often on here, and honestly don't understand it in a 9 team format, can you or someone else explain why you think this will be relevant to overall record?

5 West teams play 2 games against each east team (8) and remainder (10) against west

4 East teams play 2 games against each west team (10) and remainder (8) against east

But they are not playing against themselves.

Hence if Calgary and Toronto are both good teams, and for arguments sake, all 3 other teams in the east are bad and the 4 other teams in the west are good. Then

Calgary plays 12 games against good teams and 6 against bad teams

Toronto plays 10 games against good teams and 8 against bad teams.

That only works if the top 6 teams in the league are the 5 west teams and the top east team. So if you assume that there aren't any weak teams in the west then I can agree with it, but I don't buy the premise that every west team will prove to be better than the bottom 3 east teams which is why I didn't bother to include it in my original question.

For your scenario all it takes is one weak team in the west and then Calgary plays 6 weak east games and 2 weak west games for a total of 8 games against "bad" teams

Toronto then would have 6 against "bad" east teams and 2 against the "bad" west team for the identical total of 8 games against "bad" teams.

But they are not playing against themselves.

Hence if Calgary and Toronto are both good teams, and for arguments sake, all 3 other teams in the east are bad and the 4 other teams in the west are good. Then

Calgary plays 12 games against good teams and 6 against bad teams

Toronto plays 10 games against good teams and 8 against bad teams.

yup .... we need one more cfl team... then 2 eaqch against all 9 ... till then more in your own division

1. Winnipeg - beat toronto and Ottawa say what you will but.. 2-0 is 2-0

2. Calgary - beat a bad montreal team but had a bye so i keep them in the top 2

3. Edmonton is 2-0, beat a bad bc team and and equally bad hamilton team

4. Toronto, we wooped them, they wooped sask, they can't be above us cuz we wooped them

5. Sask - Beat a bad hamilton team, got smoked tonight, looked as bad as hamilton did last week in their loss, they can't be above a team they just lost too

6. Montreal - Yeah they aren't good but 1 win is more than 0 wins

7. Ottawa - that first quarter they had was better than what the 2 teams i have ranked below them have shown plus 0-1 is better than 0-2

8. BC - awful. Has glenn lost it?

9. Hamilton - worst team in the league by far right now. 

Just basing this on right now, not on "talent" cuz that's irrelevant, if we are basing it on talent hamilton should be #2 but funny thing is, all that talent and they look awful. Don't care about last season, don't care about nothing other than what these teams have done this year

How anyone can put sask or toronto above winnipeg right now is beyond me. We wopped toronto who wooped sask. Logically we are above both of them. 

That only works if the top 6 teams in the league are the 5 west teams and the top east team. So if you assume that there aren't any weak teams in the west then I can agree with it, but I don't buy the premise that every west team will prove to be better than the bottom 3 east teams which is why I didn't bother to include it in my original question.

For your scenario all it takes is one weak team in the west and then Calgary plays 6 weak east games and 2 weak west games for a total of 8 games against "bad" teams

Toronto then would have 6 against "bad" east teams and 2 against the "bad" west team for the identical total of 8 games against "bad" teams.

No. Toronto would have 8 against bad east teams and 2 against the bad west team for a total of 10.

4. Toronto, we wooped them, they wooped sask, they can't be above us cuz we wooped them

5. Sask - Beat a bad hamilton team, got smoked tonight, looked as bad as hamilton did last week in their loss, they can't be above a team they just lost too

7. Ottawa - that first quarter they had was better than what the 2 teams i have ranked below them have shown plus 0-1 is better than 0-2

Just basing this on right now, not on "talent" cuz that's irrelevant, if we are basing it on talent hamilton should be #2 but funny thing is, all that talent and they look awful. Don't care about last season, don't care about nothing other than what these teams have done this year

How anyone can put sask or toronto above winnipeg right now is beyond me. We wopped toronto who wooped sask. Logically we are above both of them. 

The question isn't "right now" but what we expect at the end of the season. I don't expect Toronto and Saskatchewan to stay beneath Winnipeg at the end of the season, despite how much I would like that.

Arsenio Hall approves of this message.

Looking it over and this is what I believe will happen.  I'll put the two conferences parallel to each other to get a better idea of how I see them stacking up.

West                                     East

Y - Calgary 12-6                    Y - Toronto  10-8

X - Saskatchewan 9-9           X - Ottawa     9-9

X - Winnipeg 9-9                         Montreal 6-12

X - Edmonton 8-10                     Hamilton 5-13

BC 5-13

No BC is not gonna come back from this deficit.  That 2011 team was loaded with depth, still had Geroy Simon, and Lulay didn't miss any games that season, 0-5 start wasn't bad, just full of unlucky breaks and close losses in tight games.  This year's Lions team is awful in all phases of their game.  They have no threats at WR, no running game, and even if Lulay makes it back by season's end he's gonna be a friggin rust bucket.

I will bet you these standings, give or take a few from the top listed teams in each, are about as accurate as you're going to get.

Agreed! - very logical view point

Am I crazy or are TSN's stats incomplete? I don't see Grigsby listed at all nor do I see Kelly

Wtf?

You're right that TSN's stats are incomplete but you might still be crazy. It seems like they are missing a few players - Allen and Thomas aren't listed in the rushing stats either.