Cory Watson out vs REDBLACKS

I think we're looking at the Cory Watson situation in the wrong way.

If we thought of him strictly as a rotational player, then I think the performance he gives us, in limited time, is pretty damn good.

Trouble is, rotation is usually in the same game….but, we can work around that.

Not a bad idea. The problem is Watson could last one play or several but he'd rarely be able to finish a game. But as a bench depth guy to insert in key situations - either late in games as a blocker or decoy. He seems to be injured stretching out for balls or making tackles on special teams. Take him off special teams, cut his salary to the bone and let him work a light rotation. Might be the only answer.

I wonder if a desperate eastern team (ie. Montreal) might be interested in Watson via trade. Perhaps they have some form of advanced training methods that could rehab Watson's persistent injuries.

If so, I'd have no problem shipping Cory and a high draft pick next year (2nd or 3rd round) for Chip Cox. Cox would really complete our defense and is perfect for an Etcheverrian assault. . . . of course, Cox is pretty much the Als best overall player so I don't think a lame national wide receiver and a 2015 pick would even get Popp sniffing. What would?

No, Nate. Don't  agree. I wouldn't trade Watson & a second or third rounder for Chip Cox. Our Canadian strength has to be built up. We can't afford to  trade any draft picks now. 

I wonder if a desperate eastern team (ie. Montreal) might be interested in Watson via trade. Perhaps they have some form of advanced training methods that could rehab Watson's persistent injuries.

If so, I'd have no problem shipping Cory and a high draft pick next year (2nd or 3rd round) for Chip Cox. Cox would really complete our defense and is perfect for an Etcheverrian assault. . . . of course, Cox is pretty much the Als best overall player so I don't think a lame national wide receiver and a 2015 pick would even get Popp sniffing. What would?

Ahhhh...there's the Nate we know and love. Start with a conspiracy theory about secret training methods out East and then end with a bizarre trade proposal that no one on earth would ever consider. Beautiful.
I would assume he's being facetious

And you would be wrong.. He's dead serious.. Just as he was when he suggested (in his prime I might add) that we convert Doug Brown into an o-lineman..

I guess I'll be the one to agree with Nate here. Watson and a third rounder for Cox would be an absolute steal on our part.

An old American linebacker for a top flight Canadian receiver AND a pick? No. Horrible deal.

It really wouldn't be that crazy of a deal. Watson makes good money, misses half the season and is getting into his thirties. If he doesn't take a significant pay cut I think Watson gets cut after this year.

Then it comes down to a mid round pick for Chip Cox and who wouldn't take that deal? He's one of the best defensive players in the entire league. There's no way Montreal would ever do it though.