The Rye Thread

Zontar

Wiser's deluxe was the go to rye for years but re-discovered an old brand Walkers Special Old and might go back to that - a lot nicer than the old man vibe it gives off - try it.

For all the Crown fans - it's good just sayin its over rated.

Forty Creek out of Alberta is my go to. Really smooth, as I get older finding that I slowly reducing the Pepsi and Coke I put in it. Now its mainly water and a splash of soda as I say just for colour. I am assuming one day it will be just water.

Been drinking Crown off and on since I was 16 but Dave and I got into Gibby's on account of the CFL. Problem with Gibby's is its too smooth and it sneaks up on you. With Crown, you know it when it goes down. 40 Creek is a great Whisky and White Owl is also outstanding. Some of the best white whisky I've ever had, tho, was brewed by my in-laws out in the boonies near Sandy Lake :)

father in law told me a story once about how his dad made the white whisky and it turned my stomach to hear it, but damned if the stuff wasn't a fine whisky. He says the old man would take anything he could find that would ferment...could be old apples...could be wasted grains...whatever would ferment, he'd turn 'er into whisky. When I first discovered a decanter of the stuff in the girlfriend's basement, I thought it was tequila...really REALLY strong smell and a significant burning taste. Drank it straight the first few times, but have had it with mix and it's solid. Strong flavour, but not overpowering. That's the key.

I would end up either in a fight or blacked out when I drank too much rye. I wouldn't pass out, I just had to have my evening retold to me the following day. Haven't had a sip of it in probably 15 years.

A buddy, with similar experience calls it "crazy juice"

Forty Creek out of Alberta is my go to. Really smooth, as I get older finding that I slowly reducing the Pepsi and Coke I put in it. Now its mainly water and a splash of soda as I say just for colour. I am assuming one day it will be just water.

pretty sure that's just around the other side of the lake from me here in Ontario...

pretty sure that's just around the other side of the lake from me here in Ontario...

yeah I am pretty sure it's an Ontario one. 

I'm more of a scotch drinker, or bourbon in the summer (if I'm not drinking beer) but when I need a bottle on the cheap good ol' 5 Star rye goes down pretty smooth for a great price. I mean, come on it's FIVE STARS!

you disgust me.....Blech. ;). I will not touch 5 Star or Canadian Club anymore. Life's too short for shitty booze.

yeah I am pretty sure it's an Ontario one. 

Reasonable price for some pretty darn good whiskey - that's what I like most about it,