Main Camp Day 4 (Reports and Discussion)

Mike

I was there today and agree with some observations not so much with others.

First...I don't know what it is, but in previous years I never ever got bored watching practice. This year not the case, I think it is because they are doing more teaching, which is probably a good thing! There just seems to be fairly long periods where not much is happening.

I hardly ever get to see what is going on with the OL. but Goossen and Morley are still alternating at centre. I'll tell you one thing, at the end of practice they had the OL doing sprints. Dan Knapp leaves all the rest in his dust. He is one fit dude! Someone who tried to keep up with him and almost did is Quinn Everett. Neufeld brought up the rear in last place and to me looked like he was limping at the end.

My general impression is that virtually all the OL are more fit than in previous years.

For me in previous practices, I wasn't so high on Brian Brohm...but he is really starting to grow on me and show me a pretty strong arm, good mobility, and accuracy. I am still impressed with Marve, Willy and Hall. Hall is smart and I still like him, but it is a struggle for him on long passes, certainly not the case with the others. In my opinion this is the strongest group of QB's we have had in a very long time, at least practice wise, we'll see in the pre season games.

For the running backs they all look good, again the strongest group for some time. Paris Cotton really stands out, Grigsby didn't show quite as much today, but I disagree with a previous poster about Tarver, the guy can catch and puts on some wicked moves. He is quick, quick, quick. I am also impressed with our new Canadian RB Errol Brooks. This is the second time I noticed him doing good things. Volny also looked good today.

Pontbriand was making nice catches, and Aaron Woods has great hands coming out of the backfield, and gets to his spot in a hurry. I hope they utilize him like that during the season.  Wasn't necessarily impressed with Feoli-Gudino in previous practices, but the guy can catch, not always with his hands though, but effort wise and toughness really shows. I wouldn't describe him as super fast, but fast enough. I thought Carter was just Ok today, but Taylor Renaud is having a very good camp. Kolhert is his usual steady self. Still not totally sold on Urrita though...I think he drops too many, and doesn't fight hard enough for the ball.

Didn't pay much attention to the defence...but tell you one thing, they are a hustling bunch, so there won't be a lack of effort.

Good report. Particularly the QB stuff. I think our slate will be OK but only if they don't do stuff outside their comfort zones. Obviously, Willy is a slow-footed dropback guy, Hall doesn't have any zip on his long stuff and Brohm is rusty as all git out. Marve is the mystery man. If you just play within our guys comfort zones you give opposing defenses the opportunity to lock you up tighter than a drum - so expect the usual 2 and out stuff, which is extremely frustrating but better than Kwik-piks for 6, etc.

We need an offense where the qb is not the center piece or "The Guy". Someone who is a great game manager & doesn't make mistakes or turn the ball over. You can win with a qb like that. Sean Salisbury won a Grey Cup in 1988 being a very good game manager & used the talent around him to win. So did Tom Burgess in 1990.

Until a qb emerges or comes along to take the bull by the horns, for gosh sake, I just hope Bellefeuille doesn't expect his starter (Willy) to do the things they can't do. Like forcing the ball aggressively downfield vertically, for example, if he is unable to do so. Limit the mistakes & try to play as much error free football offensively as they can. Hell, if we develop a great defense, put it  on them to win games. We did that in 1988 & 90. 

Still not totally sold on Urrita though...I think he drops too many, and doesn't fight hard enough for the ball.

I will admit I had the same thought on a jump ball in the end zone on Monday but brushed it off because I thought the pass should never have been thrown.  It was there for the taking though and he didn't take it.

We need an offense where the qb is not the center piece or "The Guy". Someone who is a great game manager & doesn't make mistakes or turn the ball over. You can win with a qb like that. Sean Salisbury won a Grey Cup in 1988 being a very good game manager & used the talent around him to win. So did Tom Burgess in 1990.

Until a qb emerges or comes along to take the bull by the horns, for gosh sake, I just hope Bellefeuille doesn't expect his starter (Willy) to do the things they can't do. Like forcing the ball aggressively downfield vertically, for example, if he is unable to do so. Limit the mistakes & try to play as much error free football offensively as they can. Hell, if we develop a great defense, put it  on them to win games. We did that in 1988 & 90. 

I disagree with trying to get a first time starting QB to play mistake free football.  The odds are that he can't as most young QB's are wildly inconsistent.  

I'd rather see an offense that attacks the mid to deep routes as the primary read so every catch is a first down.  I understand that means the QB's completion stats will be worse, but it would give us a better chance of scoring.  Throwing the quick check down for 3 yards is an easy completion, but it doesn't move the sticks.  Let the young guy air the ball out.  One of Willy's strengths is throwing the deep ball.  Let him show it on the field.

Recap of Mike O'Shea Video after Day 4

- Sure knows his injury situation, he is up-to-date on all players (not like last year)

- Believes the "compete level" is very in camp and finds that rewarding for the Coaches.

​- Extremely comfortable with Drew Willy (his charting is good)…repeats that Max Hall is doing well ("impressive" in one set he mentioned)

- Repeats his rating of Don Unumba…"athletic" and gives his top praise…he's a 'footballer'

- Explains that Etch's system is basically what the CFL is going to - versatility - and believes that we have a lot of players who want to play 'anywhere' just to make this club

- On camp fights…that shows emotion, which is fine, but he doesn't like them. What he wants is #1 to take care of your team mates and  #1 not to take penalties, cause that's not taking care of your mates.

- Love Mike Scheper's teaching and animation…what he teaches in the film room translates on to the field.

- Julian Feoli-Gudino - works hard and really plays well on ST, "strong-gripped" and knows what O'Shea wants. Has the tools to be a receiver