Ice Caps Playoff Run

Rich

Has anyone been following the Ice Caps playoff run?

They are up 3 - 1 in their conference finals. One win away from making it to the championship series.

Interesting article here about scheduling issues if the Ice Caps and the Texas Stars were to meet in the finals.

http://www.thetelegram.com/Sports/Hockey/2014-05-30/article-3743076/Caught-up-in-a-situation%3A-SJSE-says-it-cant-break-contract-to-address-potential-scheduling-issue-for-IceCaps/1

Would love for them to play a game or two here. They are already moving the team so can't really alienate the fan base further. They've likely already taken the ice out of the MTS center. Wonder if there are other contractual reasons that wouldn't let them play outside of St Johns.

Has anyone been following the Ice Caps playoff run?

They are up 3 - 1 in their conference finals. One win away from making it to the championship series.

Interesting article here about scheduling issues if the Ice Caps and the Texas Stars were to meet in the finals.

http://www.thetelegram.com/Sports/Hockey/2014-05-30/article-3743076/Caught-up-in-a-situation%3A-SJSE-says-it-cant-break-contract-to-address-potential-scheduling-issue-for-IceCaps/1

Would love for them to play a game or two here. They are already moving the team so can't really alienate the fan base further. They've likely already taken the ice out of the MTS center. Wonder if there are other contractual reasons that wouldn't let them play outside of St Johns.

That would be awesome if they played here but i don't think it's likely. You know they would draw a pretty big crowd here too. Might be tough though logistically to bring them here. Is MTS booked those dates too? It's possible. But i'd definitely go if they were to play some  games here. Love to take a look at the jets prospects up close. Part of the reason why i like the idea of the caps moving to thunder bay is, well... thunder bay isn't that far from here and could easily make a weekend out of it. Think it would be great if they played here but... for some reason i doubt it happens. I'm sure this all get settled and it's probably a non issue if the marlies actually win the series with the stars.

I was going to start an Ice Caps thread today!  Glad you did so.

Sounds like it would just end up being the undesirable 5 day break between game 3 and game 4.  Not ideal but what can you do.  Danny Williams is pretty bold in his comments about their arena partners.

But for sure, it would be awesome to see the Caps play at MTSC.  Im sure it would draw a huge crowd.

Looking at the success of the caps, it makes you feel pretty good about the future of the Jets.  The Caps should only get better with the likes of Scott Kosmachuk going there next season and a couple others (too bad Petan and Morrissey cant play there next season).  Hoopefully Telegin comes back too.

Michael Hutchinson now 52-15-3 combined between the 3 levels of hockey he has played in this year.

Would like to see him get a legit chance with the Jets next year.

Hutch and Montoya combo!

I keep seeing this and I have to say that is pie-in-the-sky thinking.  Its "hope for the beast" because Montoya has never proven he can be the #1 guy.  Jets fans are such that if Montoya has one awesome game they are ready to annoint him the starter.

To me, Pavs is on the team next year.  Period.  Unless he's moved via trade.  Jets arent going to buy him out.  Rumour has it Chevy has told people he intends to fix the goaltending "from within".  So if Pavs is here, the question is what do you do with the number 2 spot? 

Hutch is certainly making a case for an opportunity to be the #2 guy and even making a case that he could push Pavs for the starting job.  But you dont throw a guy with his level of experience to the wolves without a safety net.  My question is, has Hutch done enough to earn Chevy's confidence to be the #2 guy?  Because if they re-sign Montoya, Hutch is spending most of the season in St John's.

The only reason pav is playing is because of the contract. Montoya's skills are unquestionably superior.

Which sucks because Pavs ceiling is a step slightly above mediocre.

This is untrue.  Montoya plays less ghames, usually against lower competition.  I like Montoya but if I could only have one of them, it's Pavs.  Just has more raw ability.  Montoya is a savvy goalie who knows how to play the odds.  But Pavs has better pure athletics and talent.

Ill say this, if Im Chevy and I still believe in Pavs, Im firing the goalie coach.  I know he's a former Moose blah blah blah but if the consensus is Pavs just needs to work on mechanics, then WTF is the coach doing for him?

But then again if I was Pavs, I'd swing a trade for Reimer's rights and I'd go into the season with Pavs/Reimer knowing I have Hutch in St John's ready for a call up.  I'd hope both guys play well and depending on where we are mid-season, I'd trade one of them at the deadline.

Ill say this, if Im Chevy and I still believe in Pavs, Im firing the goalie coach.  I know he's a former Moose blah blah blah but if the consensus is Pavs just needs to work on mechanics, then WTF is the coach doing for him?

Have to say the same thought has crossed my head as well.  There are certain skills Pav needs to refine and if his positional coach isn't helping him accomplish that...

I don't want to take the onus off the player though.  I've never gotten the sense the Pavelec is the kind of player who pushes hard to improve in the offseason.  Making significant changes isn't easy to do; in the middle of the season it becomes much more difficult.  This is something the player needs to be working on right now.

The only reason pav is playing is because of the contract. Montoya's skills are unquestionably superior.

Which sucks because Pavs ceiling is a step slightly above mediocre.

This is untrue. Montoya plays less ghames, usually against lower competition. .

Bulll shat, Montoya was playing the harder teams last year. He was the one in net against Chicago and the other power houses while Pavs had the softy teams.

There was a thread on here with a post that had the list of teams he played against.

Pavs plays way more teams.  Plays way more often.  There is a reason Montoya was a top flight draft pick that has never been a starter anywhere.  I like Montoya, but I'm not buying out Pavs and going with Montoya as my starter.  In fact I bet they are considering ditching Montoya as their back-up.

What they do in net is going to be very interesting.  Hutch has earned an opportunity but he's subject to waivers. 

Pavs plays way more teams. Plays way more often. There is a reason Montoya was a top flight draft pick that has never been a starter anywhere. I like Montoya, but I'm not buying out Pavs and going with Montoya as my starter. In fact I bet they are considering ditching Montoya as their back-up.

What they do in net is going to be very interesting. Hutch has earned an opportunity but he's subject to waivers.

The only reason pav will stay is the contract... Skill wise the numbers don't lie.

I wouldn't say bad goaltending. I didn't see last half of the third period but some of the goals by Texas were on defensive breakdowns where guys were left open in prime scoring areas. I can't remember any of the goals being soft. Also there were a number of missed opportunities by the IceCaps. 

I missed the game tonight,   what happened?  Bad Goaltending?

Texas was the  best team in the league this year, finished first overall with 106 points.

St Johns finished 4th in their conference with 99 points behind 3 other teams who did not have as much points as the texas team did.

Fact is, St Johns is a bit of a Cinderella story, Texas was supposed to be in the finals, St Johns wasn't.

why 6-3? Quite honestly, Texas is just a better team than St Johns. 

St Johns just got on a roll at the right time, Texas has been on a roll all year.

Nope, Hutch played fine, St Johns even played pretty good, it's just the simple fact that TEXAS is just better.

Sometimes in sports, you just play a team that is all around better than you are, that's what this series is. I'll be honest, I'll be surprised if this series goes to 6 games.

Just want to add, Josh Morrissey, i think there is a very very very VERY (cant say it enough but once more) VERY strong chance that he is on the JETS this season. He is a solid puck moving D man who is very good defenisvely. What a skater too. Unbelievably smooth out there.