Ni Linebacker And Ratio

Floyd

Sun reporting that we tried to swipe Beaulieu-Richard off Ham's PR to no avail...  game three and still haven't found the NI LB/DL.

So many chances to draft/pick up NI depth - and yes Stephan could be a good player but we knew he was out of football and had an injury history...  I would trade our 'futures picks' for NI ST depth right now.

Labbe as our backup cost us big time - he was abused.  He used to be 'almost fast enough' now he is just slow.

We use up 7 NI roster spots on OL, two NI RBs and a fullback and use our DI at RB...  honestly, does anyone see us starting Volny or Woodson ever?

Its time to put all our DIs back on Defence (as only D will win us games this year)... why not look at Markett as a return guy?

And, of course - (broken record alert) - is the drop from Boatman to Swiston really enough to justify using an import at RT???  I mean, c'mon - I know we're goo-goo about Pencer but Swiston has just as much potential to be a ratio-breaker...  6 sacks, a bunch of hurries and only two big running plays - what do we have to lose?  At least, he would free up ratio space.

Surprised Beaulieu-Richard didn't want to come here (according to the papers).

Lookin at Ham's LB core... I'd say his chances of starting in the next few years are pretty good...

And, well, we could have just signed him for nothing last year... no? 

Regardless, when Labbe is your backup plan for OLB and MLB, something is not right.

Lookin at Ham's LB core... I'd say his chances of starting in the next few years are pretty good...

And, well, we could have just signed him for nothing last year... no? 

Regardless, when Labbe is your backup plan for OLB and MLB, something is not right.

He's not.

Most of this is absurd.  Personally the only roster management issue I have with this roster is using Ford as a DI.  He can't return punts, he's so-so on kickoffs and we don't run the ball.  Volny can play well enough to take some snaps when Simpson needs a break.  I'd use that DI spot on a receiver (assuming we don't have a worthy returner who can do kickoffs and punts) who can replace Simpson or one of the other IMP receivers for some snaps and maybe give us a different look.

Most of this is absurd.  Personally the only roster management issue I have with this roster is using Ford as a DI.  He can't return punts, he's so-so on kickoffs and we don't run the ball.  Volny can play well enough to take some snaps when Simpson needs a break.  I'd use that DI spot on a receiver (assuming we don't have a worthy returner who can do kickoffs and punts) who can replace Simpson or one of the other IMP receivers for some snaps and maybe give us a different look.

Sounds like we are trying a new guy as a designated returner next game

He's not.

On gameday, he is.

If we have a DI at LB, maybe we stop them... maybe not.  All I know is that if anyone has lost a step its Labbe.

You know exactly what I am saying, but since you mention it... who is our backup MLB then?  I mean besides Stephan the chronically injured guy who has played two games...?

You can't have an awesome backup rostered at every single spot ....

Um, you NEED an awesome backup at your ratio-changing spot... or at least the ratio flexibility to replace Parker with an import.

I think we have pretty good backups in Kohlert, Swiston, Thomas, even possibly West... but our most critical backup position is filled by Labbe on gameday, a guy we knew couldn't cut it in 2011.

We were ONLY playing Labbe last game because of the ratio (and not even the starting ratio)...  Burris starts running when Labbe is left in charge of contain...

CFL rosters are small, you get multiple injuries to one position in a game you're going to have people playing there who aren't suited to be starters, just the way of it. Every team everywhere can deal better with injuries between games than in games. 

He's there for special teams reasons and is an emergency LB, which is perfectly fine of a role for him. He's not a great or even good starting LB but please, find me another team's backup Canadians at any position that are in your mind worthy of starting (excluding OL).

Well, its not even a matter of backup Cdn here... its the fact that Labbe was our backup - in that game...  You look at other rosters - they go into games deep at LB because that's where your critical injuries are...

I understand that Stephan is our preferred guy but after him, we have no one in the pipe after that.

BC - Five starting NI REC... Westerman as rotating DL

SK - Three starting (albeit aging) DL... then again, they are starting so many Cdns that they don't have to worry about NI backups - still they are developing Hurl and Newman

MTL - Marc Brouillette is a starter plus Boulay, Edem, Verdone developing

CAL - Eric Fraser even Karl McCartney is better than Labbe

Anyway, whatever - I'm sure someone will pick this apart... but the point is, the successful teams either have ratio-breaking OL and RB or they stock up on backup LBs/S

We are four deep at RB plus fielding an FB AND a 7th OLineman just to protect Buck I guess...?

I just don't see any sense to our ratio to be honest.

Also, I hate to do this but I can't help but find holes here.

What about Karl McCartney makes you think he's any better than Labbe? They are both nothing more than special teamers. Eric Fraser is a "starting" safety but he is at best slightly better than Logan was last year. He's hardly a game-breaker. M.O Broulliette has never started in any situation other than emergency ever before so I wouldn't consider him a starting caliber player. And please tell me who Saskatchewan's third starting caliber Canadian DL is. Shologan and Foley are legit Canadian starters but that's the point, so is Muamba. Having quality NI backups at every position is essentially impossible.

EDIT: Who are the 5 starting receivers in BC? Gore and Foster I will give you. Ianuzzi is no more a legit starting receiver than Kohlert at this point. Paris Jackson is not nearly a viable starter in the league anymore. Who's the other? Haidara? You must be kidding.

Also, I hate to do this but I can't help but find holes here.

What about Karl McCartney makes you think he's any better than Labbe. They are both nothing more than special teamers. Eric Fraser is a "starting" safety but he is at best slightly better than Logan was last year. He's hardly a game-breaker. M.O Broulliette has never started in any situation other than emergency ever before so I wouldn't consider him a starting caliber player. And please tell me who Saskatchewan's third starting caliber Canadian DL is. Shologan and Foley are legit Canadian starters but that's the point, so is Muamba. Having quality NI backups at every position is essentially impossible.

I guess we will just disagree on the caliber of Brouillette, Fraser and even McCartney.  As in, we have DRASTICALLY different views of what consists of talent in the CFL... I will leave it at that.

Personally, I would take McCartney, Hurl, Butler, Edem, etc - guys like that over Labbe, at least they are prospects that will get better - Labbe is on the downside of his backup career taking up a roster spot that should be used for new talent.

Anyway, we're actually not even talking about NI backup...  Labbe is our roster backup linebacker.  James Green has not played LB for a few years now and he's the only other option.  Dexter Davis could be an option I suppose...

But, yeah, if Muamba or Wild go down in the next or any game, its Labbe replacing them, just like he replaced Parker last game.  He's already cost us one game.

To me, it seems like you have a solid case of "glorifying every other team's bit players syndrome"

You always pull this one-liner to belittle my point... that's cool.  But its actually a case of admitting that other teams have good players too.

Eric Fraser wasn't a 'bit player' when we were talking about free agents.

Brouillette is a really good player who ran into concussion problems... and I think Karl McCartney has huge potential.  I wish we had him on our team.  Sue me.

I like Stephan...  he just can't stay healthy... and we have no one else.

If it makes you feel better, Toronto, Hamilton and somehow Edmonton have looming depth and ratio problems too.

Hurl and McCartney are nowhere near the LB that Labbe is at this point.  Hurl is still a prospect, McCartney likely will never have meaningful playing time as a LB.  McCartney is a better comparable to James Green than Labbe, even James Green has been useful as FB at times, but they both are on the roster to chase kicks.  If you are claiming that they are better LB's you are very ignorant.

I guess we will just disagree on the caliber of Brouillette, Fraser and even McCartney.  As in, we have DRASTICALLY different views of what consists of talent in the CFL... I will leave it at that.

Personally, I would take McCartney, Hurl, Butler, Edem, etc - guys like that over Labbe, at least they are prospects that will get better - Labbe is on the downside of his backup career taking up a roster spot that should be used for new talent.

Anyway, we're actually not even talking about NI backup...  Labbe is our roster backup linebacker.  James Green has not played LB for a few years now and he's the only other option.  Dexter Davis could be an option I suppose...

But, yeah, if Muamba or Wild go down in the next or any game, its Labbe replacing them, just like he replaced Parker last game.  He's already cost us one game.

It's not possible to dress a strong backup at every single position. You're basically afforded the ability to dress a "strong" backup at 3 spots plus whatever good Canadians you happen to have as backups and there aren't many of those around the league.

As far as upside goes, I'd rather have guys like Hurl or Edem than Labbe. No doubt. As a gameday backup at this point? Not so sure. Edem and Hurl will bring rookie mistakes. Labbe may not be the most athletic or physically capable but he's responsible out there and if he's called upon in a bind, he knows his assignments.

I don't think your opinion of Labbe is very accurate, to be honest. He's not spectacular but that's why he's a Canadian backup. He's able to fill multiple positions if necessary. Could any of those other guys you mentioned fill the middle if called upon and still be able to do everything expected of that position as far as calling out assignments, etc? Labbe can. Not so sure those guys would be able to do that.

I think it's a case where you've seen Labbe on this roster for so long and he's so mediocre that unless he's making a mistake, he's not standing out so all you remember are the bad things he's done.

This really does come down to a difference of opinion of NI talent. I figure that if you saw more of Fraser or McCartney, you'd be singing a different tune as Fraser has widely been considered a liability and McCartney has been in the league for a few years already with only any success on STs, much like Labbe. Labbe is older and not getting any better, there is no doubt about that, but he isn't the black hole you think he is.

I won't deny there are some NIs on other teams that I would love to have. Butler, Gore, Harris, Laurent, Durie and many more, but these are all legit starters. I have no doubt that any team in the league would love to have some of our legit NIs like Muamba and Watson. A guy like Stephan having two injuries doesn't make him injury prone (yet) but I see absolutely no issue with our pipeline as of now. We just so happen to not put a ton of stock into the LB portion of our young NI talent outside of Stephan. We have receivers and OL coming out the ass,