The Difference Between Calgary & Winnipeg (Media Coverage)

iso_55

the last raptors playoff game was the 2nd highest rated basketball game in tsn history.

So people care but... maybe not that much. The ratings are good but compared to hockey and even the CFL, its a fraction.

Calgary tho? i dunno. Has to be a combo of things, new people not caring, old people getting tired of the same old same old, regular season champs playoff chokers stuff.

Doesnt make sense tho, however i was watching a flames game later in the year and noticed lots of empty seats too.

Maybe Calgary just isnt that big of a sports town.

I agree. I think Winnipeg has more passion for the Bombers than Calgary does for the Stamps. People love the Flames but I don't sense that burning desire that Jets fans have here. I was at the Jets game here 2 weeks ago & they had 18,000 at the game. Easily a quarter of the crowd was cheering for the Jets.

watched the game on tv and i thought it was more then half the crowd cheering for the jets, everywhere i looked on tv, jets jersey after jets jersey. It was quite the sight.

It was beautiful. I was high up.Both fanbases treated each other well & with respect where I was sitting. No fights. Just everyone having a good time. Flames & Jets fans. We all knew our teams were out  of the playoffs so I'm sure that had a lot to do with it. If these were Rider fans, there's be a lot of jackoff @$$***** looking for trouble. 

actually thought there was a fight in the lowerbowl, at one point it looked like it actually. everyones heads were turned. was told 2 drunk jets fans got into a brawl with eachother tho. I dunno, maybe that was earlier in the season tho.

Well, in the cheap seats we all behaved ourselves.... The way the Saddledome is shaped with the concave roof & then the press box in front blocking everything but the view of the ice, you can't see much of the stands across the way You feel like you're sitting in a 5,000 seat arena. 

Flames fans are bandwagon jumpers anyway. The Saddledome wasn't ever full before Iginla and Kiprusoff carried that team to the finals in 04 and after that everyone jumped on board. Now that the team is **** again you're seeing people opt not to go. If not for the massive corporate ticket base I wonder if they would actually sell out or not. 

I think it's the large number of immigrants from outside the country - don't identify with the CFL game.  Football or American Football as it's known around the world, is not all that well-known and receives little or no exposure outside of North America.  Similar case with inter-provincial migration, but not as extreme - people moving to Calgary from places like the Maritimes and Newfoundland have little to no exposure to the CFL at a local level so they have little interest in it even when they move to a CFL city like Calgary.  I'm sure many people moving from cities with CFL teams chose to retain their home town alliances instead of adopting the stamps as their favorite team...if they liked the CFL at all to begin with.

I think it's the large number of immigrants from outside the country - don't identify with the CFL game.  Football or American Football as it's known around the world, is not all that well-known and receives little or no exposure outside of North America.  Similar case with inter-provincial migration, but not as extreme - people moving to Calgary from places like the Maritimes and Newfoundland have little to no exposure to the CFL at a local level so they have little interest in it even when they move to a CFL city like Calgary.  I'm sure many people moving from cities with CFL teams chose to retain their home town alliances instead of adopting the stamps as their favorite team...if they liked the CFL at all to begin with.

Immigrants!  I knew it was them.

Even when it was the bears, I knew it was them.