[MOVED] Lyle Bauer back in Manitoba - Politics, not football

Nasty Nate

Don't worry, I'll even the score a bit and prove that 'lefties' can be just as disrespectful to people with disabilities. And anyone who's gonna go and get hurt feelings should skip this part, you've been warned, this is just some harmless dark humor in very bad taste...

Q: What's black and crispy and sits at the top of the stairs?

A: Steven Fletcher in a house-fire.

No one should make fun of Cretien's disability.  I'd like to think we're not *so* sensitive that we can't poke a little fun now and again but I see the point.  I remember when the Cons made fun of him...yikes, talk about back firing (and stupid).

But nothing riles me up more than having a conversation about politics with someone who is staunch anti-Harper "just because...." and when pressed its always the "secret agenda" or he "hates women".  Uh huh

I voted Liberal in the Cretien days but soured on him.  I knew a girl who was in the Young Liberals (or whatever they are called) and since I liked her I didnt really want to talk politics but one day I finally explained that I simply couldnt support Cretien and the Liberals anymore.  She actually agreed and told me to hang on until Paul Martin was in power and that they really needed Cretien to retire gracefully.  Ofcourse, that didnt happen. 

As powerful as he was, you could criticise Cretien for severely damaging the Liberals on his way out.

I saw a post on facebook recently a picture of Stephen Harper's wife Laureen, holding a cat. Behind her on a wall were pictures of women who were murdered but their cases have gone unsolved. The author admitted that the pictures of the murdered women were photo shopped into the background of the photo for better effect. The poster said that the cops would have stopped at nothing to find Laureen Harper as she was attractive & beautiful & the missing women weren't..

According to the poster because these missing women were not beautiful, their murders are going unsolved by the cops because they don't care.Looks like most,if not all the women were of aboriginal descent. Not only was the picture & story sexist but racist as well.  

I suppose that isn't bullying then?? I think using the PM's wife in a picture like that is despicable. It's not her fault what is going on. Blame it on the cops but no, somehow it's Stephen & Laureen Harper's fault this is happening. She's too beautiful & he's a scumbag Conservative Prime Minister so naturally the fact these women's murders are unsolved is somehow their fault. Not improper police investigations.

Laureen Harper was being singled out because she was Stephen Harper's wife & he is a Conservative. Think that would have happened with Trudeau's wife if Justin was Prime Minister? Not likely. Myself & others see this double standard everyday in the news media & on social media. We react with disdain because of it. 

Very good points Iso.

The Cons are always painted as the anti-aboriginal party.  There was a recent protest that was all over social-media and an aboriginal friend of mine was active in posting news about it.  The links were always titled something like "Harper trying to wipe out aboriginals" or "Harper's attack on our people".  I clicked some of the links and oddly enough I never saw Harper in any of the protest videos.  I did see aboriginal protesters breaking several laws and acting violently towards the police.  Harper was nowhere to be found.

I will say if Harper wanted to use his majority to make major changes, (and this goes for any politician), ditch the reserve system and fix these issues.  But its easier to pander to minority lobbyists (leadership) than it is to make real change.

I will say if Harper wanted to use his majority to make major changes, (and this goes for any politician), ditch the reserve system and fix these issues.  But its easier to pander to minority lobbyists (leadership) than it is to make real change.

No one is going to touch reserve issues. As soon as the idea of opening up the constitution comes around politicians run for the hills because it's too much work and going to piss off too many people. 

Yes unfortunately. The only people this system benefits are the "leadership". Certainly not the people.

Oh please.  The system has given us the country we live in today.  I'd say the people of Canada are doing pretty damn well for themselves, wouldn't you?

The Reserve system is what I was referring to.  I love Canada.  Our "guilt" is a big problem though and the system that endorses inequality is a problem too.  Every aboriginal person I have ever known hated being on reserve.  Its takes a special person to grow up in that atmosphere and be able to leave and be successful.

Yes unfortunately. The only people this system benefits are the "leadership". Certainly not the people.

Oh please.  The system has given us the country we live in today.  I'd say the people of Canada are doing pretty damn well for themselves, wouldn't you?

The Reserve system is what I was referring to.  I love Canada.  Our "guilt" is a big problem though and the system that endorses inequality is a problem too.  Every aboriginal person I have ever known hated being on reserve.  Its takes a special person to grow up in that atmosphere and be able to leave and be successful.

There's a lot of pressure for them to not leave and be successful too. Lots of the people who don't have the desire to leave and be successful will shun people who do and call them traitors for acting white. It's a really messed up situation. 

It really is a shame it's such a nonstarter to even talk about changing things. It's a broken system and things could be so much better, but it's political suicide to even try. 

The minute anyone started talking about abolishing the reserve system, they be called a racist.

We could get very detailed here but in an effort to keep it simple, I strongly believe the reserve system is irreperably broken.  Not all reserves ofcourse.  But why would anyone want to live in the middle of nowhere without running or clean water, where they own nothing, where they are intimidated into voting for a "council" made up of buddies that directly influence who does what and rewards or punishes support?  Going to some reserves, you see broken down homes.  You see homes with holes in the walls, broken everything.  The residents dont have any sense of pride in some of these homes.  They dont own them.  You see residents who look lost and hopeless.  Addiction runs rampant.  Suicides are well above average.

We have a system where taxpayers provide funding for a group of people and that money is given to "elders" or a "council" in many cases with little oversight.  We have created our own welfare state.  The plight of aboriginals in general is never going to change under these conditions.

What we need a longterm solution, a generational solution that weans "reserves" off of federal financial support.  Its not assimilation for aboriginals to live in non-reserve communities.  Every ethnicity and culture can exist in Canada and practice their believes.  I've never been to a reserve and thought "what a wonderful culture experience this is."  Its not.  When I was in my early 20's, hanging out and dating several aboriginal girls around the same age, they all said the same thing - they hates the reserve, had to leave, would rather move to Winnipeg at 18 and "struggle" to make ends meet while going to school etc.  Staying on the reserve was no life. 

On the flip side, one of those girls, her dad owned a business on the reserve so he had a lot of money.  She still didnt want to be there.  She had lived there for a couple of years because she got engaged and was provided housing.  But in the end, the negatives to being their vastly outweighed the benefits of being given housing etc.

Decisions based on race are frowned upon..unless its aboriginals.  Then everything is race-based.  Its wrong.  We're all Canadians.

The system as it is simply promotes a cycle of poverty and keeps natives on reserves reliant on the federal government to support them. The system is horribly broken. You can't talk about changing it because the natives aren't really interested in doing that because they are afraid they will get less than they are already guaranteed in their current treaties. The system was put in place when it was possible for people to live off the land but that doesn't happen anymore so it's an outdated system that can't easily be changed. 

We need to settle treaties and put them to rest.  Period.  And im sorry, any deal that provides anything "in perpetuity" should be breached.  I'd argue any government of the day that made a bad deal under the circumstances of which they could never have predicted how the world would look right now cant be held up as valid now.  Im not saying screw anyone.  If we owe land, provide land or money.  If we owe money, provide it.  You live in this country, pay taxes.  But we have to stop the cycle of povity and welfare state.  if it takes ten years, so be it.  If it takes 50 years so be it.

Many of the aboriginal leadership arent really helping their people.  Its political.  Its money.  propose that the fed provide funding directly to reserve members, by-passing leadership - see how that flies.  Hint: it wont.

Im all for embracing your culture.  But until there is an end to the divide between aborigionals and "whites", things arent going to change.

Lol... abolish the reserve system?? What exactly does that mean? What happens to the people on reserves? Force them into cities?

To live like the rest of us & maybe have to contribute to society. Oops, sorry. Racist comment.

So the government buys them all houses in the city? Is that how it works? They certainly won't have money from selling their reserve homes if we are abolishing reserves.

Ahhh, so maybe we just move them into the city but don't pay for their homes? I've always said the people of Canada could use more homeless citizens.