Bills Owner Ralph Wilson Has Died

iso_55

1. Toronto lacks an NFL stadium. Who is putting up the billion dollars it would take to build it?

2. Will the NFL prefer to keep it in Buffalo?

3. What about LA?

Rogers can more than afford it because of the telecommunications giant they are. I wouldn't buy a Rogers product if you paid me. 

Rogers can more than afford it because of the telecommunications giant they are. I wouldn't buy a Rogers product if you paid me. 

Rogers couldn't afford the $1.7 billion price tag to buy MLSE without a partner so what makes you think they could come up with that kind of money to build a stadium.

From the Sun:

It’s Ralph Wilson’s last “enormous gift” to the people of Western New York, according to Marc Ganis, president of Sports Corp. Ltd.

Widely circulated reports since December 2012 that a $400-million buyout option exists through 2019 in the NFL franchise’s stadium lease with the state of New York and Erie County are “flat-out wrong,” Ganis told the Sun exclusively.

In an interview Wednesday morning at the conclusion of the NFL annual meeting, the prominent sports-franchise consultant said that whoever should buy the Bills in the wake of Ralph Wilson’s death on Tuesday cannot relocate the team from Western New York at any time over the remaining nine years of their lease agreement, which expires after the 2022 season.

The exception is the brief, well-known period of time following the seventh year of the extension — that is, after the 2019 season.

Today it probably would cost close to $1 billion US to buy the Bills. Construction of a new stadium large enough to meet NFL standards (which Toronto’s Rogers Centre does not) probably would cost another $1 billion.

An NFL-calibre headquarters and training complex would increase the pricetag by perhaps $50 million more. On top of that the NFL would slap perhaps as much as a $200-$400 million relocation fee (no one knows) onto the Bills-to-Toronto bill.

The ballpark $2.5-billion total presumably would only increase by 2020.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2014/03/26/bills-to-stay-in-buffalo-until-at-least-2020