Drew Willy one of fastest passes at NFL combine

Pass speed is basically one of those meaningless statistics.

Sure, you have to throw hard and fast to be any good. But looking through that list, it's a list of NFL nobodies other than Kaep.

Interesting read though.

Interesting read though.

I disagree that speed is not important. We often talk about QBs having 'zip' on the ball. It helps to prevent interceptions if you have some speed and accuracy, which it looks like Willy has. Hall is accurate but has no speed on his throws beyond 10-12 yards.

Having speed on your throws doesn't make someone a good QB, but if can help.

Interesting read though.

I disagree that speed is not important. We often talk about QBs having 'zip' on the ball. It helps to prevent interceptions if you have some speed and accuracy, which it looks like Willy has. Hall is accurate but has no speed on his throws beyond 10-12 yards.

I guess what I should've said is that the FASTEST pass speed is meaningless. I agree you need to throw fast, as that article mentions, if you're under 54 mph you're basically given no chance in the NFL. Who throws the fastest is just a fun blurb stat, though.

Interesting read though.

I guess what I should've said is that the FASTEST pass speed is meaningless. I agree you need to throw fast, as that article mentions, if you're under 54 mph you're basically given no chance in the NFL. Who throws the fastest is just a fun blurb stat, though.

Just to get back on topic after that fun interlude.  While I agree fast does not matter a whole lot, fitting the ball into tight windows requires timely release, leading the receiver, being accurate and some ZIP.  While zip is nice, touch is also important and knowing when to take something off a throw to get over the linebackers or on fade routes is equally important.  Drew Willy has both of those traits and the zip required to hit out routes on the wider Canadian field is very noticeable in guys that don't have zip as the ball ends up in their end zone.  Can't wait until June, hope we fix the line by then.  Go Bombers!

Interesting read though.

Just to get back on topic after that fun interlude.  While I agree fast does not matter a whole lot, fitting the ball into tight windows requires timely release, leading the receiver, being accurate and some ZIP.  While zip is nice, touch is also important and knowing when to take something off a throw to get over the linebackers or on fade routes is equally important.  Drew Willy has both of those traits and the zip required to hit out routes on the wider Canadian field is very noticeable in guys that don't have zip as the ball ends up in their end zone.  Can't wait until June, hope we fix the line by then.  Go Bombers!

A positive comment... so refreshing to read!!   I sure hope Willy airs it out and has many big games for us!

Its nice to have our quarterbacking situation not riding all-or-nothing on the shoulders of one pivot- we need competition and not a bunch of wannabes with thin resumes.

That's actually exactly what we have in our QB's.  None of them have done anything yet.

Its nice to have our quarterbacking situation not riding all-or-nothing on the shoulders of one pivot- we need competition and not a bunch of wannabes with thin resumes.

That's actually exactly what we have in our QB's.  None of them have done anything yet.

Which, oddly enough, is a step up from where we've been.