Gold! Gold! Gold!

iso_55

Have our men & women's curling & hockey teams ever come thru the past 2 days!! Unfortunately lost in the hockey the past 2 days was the Jennifer Jones team winning gold in Women's curling yesterday followed by Brad Jacobs winning curling gold for the Men earlier today. Of course, our women's hockey team won gold & the men edged Team USA 1-0 earlier today in a nail biter & will go for gold on Sunday morning. And Canada won a bronze in short track speed skating today as well as the women's 2 man bobsled Thursday.

On to the gold medal hockey game vs Sweden.

I used to do a lot of curling in Manitoba at the competitive level years ago. Went to a number of Ray Turnbull clinics. The  one thing I was taught was a nice clean release of the stone. I was watching the women's competition & other than Canada most of the Euro women have horrible releases. Some of them bend their elbows & push the stone when releasing it. Most seem to dump the stone on release or play with the handle nervously as they slid on release. On straight & fast ice you can get away with that but not on heavier & swingy  ice. The ice for the Olympics was indeed straighter & quicker. The Jones team all have nice clean releases & they have the high percentages to show for it. Not surprised she dominated the way she did.

Some of them bend their elbows & push the stone when releasing it. 

Lots of the good players in Canada do this too, it's intentional because they need to get more rotation on the swingy arena ice. I guarantee you were taught the same way I was where it's a simple turn of the wrist, and that works well on club ice but on arena ice no chance. I think that will be where the difference is, the euro teams are not used to playing on that kind of ice and the adjustment throws them off whereas a team like Jones has played on that type of ice tons and knows how to do it without screwing up the line. 

Surprised by the style of play, how many goals have those players on US and Canada scored in the NHL only to have a 1-0 game.

A ton of scoring skill but playing the shutdown game, goes to show how good these guys really are.  Hope they can shut down the Swedes, toughest task yet. 

IMO - the defensemen are the best overall group Canada has ever had.  Babcock can consistently use all 6 D men and know they'll effective.

BY contrast - Orpik was logging big minutes for the U.S.

Lol at the US today vs the Finns. Way to show up guys.

Hey iso. You remember me right? :)

Good to see you here, deuvl. He is a Montreal Alouettes fan living in Montreal. They are a rare species indeed on CFL sites. He's a good guy. Pretty respectful of other teams when he posts. Hope he is welcomed here.

Welcome to the board!

Gold for our Men's hockey team this morning. One of the most dominating performances I've ever seen on the world stage by any country's hockey team. Glad Crosby finally scored. As the game was winding down I began to think of the 1972 Canada-Soviet hockey series & all the **** that team took from the Russians in Moscow by trying to manipulate the series to their advantage when Canada finally pulled out the series victory with Henderson's winning goal. Most of you probably weren't alive to witness that game but have seen the goal. I bet the surviving members of that team are elated we won a gold medal on Russian soil. 

Yup great end to what turned out to be an awesome Olympics. I am not as depressed that they are over as I was about Vancouver (given I actually went to Vancouver and participated in the festivities and attended a few hockey games) but I still couldn't help feeling a bit sad when that giant creepy bear blew out the flame in the closing ceremonies. Back in 2010 I thought that waiting for 2014 would be a long wait, but it turned out to come and go faster than I ever thought possible. I am interested in going to Pyongchang in 2018, who's with me?? :)

Here's the sad bear....sigh...

ed7baf80-9cd5-11e3-a8e8-8b7ddfe39545_bea

tearbear.gif