Friday Night Football

17to85

There are whispers of concern in Calgary. Only 26,000 fans last game. Only 21,000 season tickets. Attendance has plummeted the past 3 seasons. We used to average 30,000 plus a game. Now we can't seem to get more than 28,000 tops. Living out here since 1990 & I'm sure 17to85 would agree, that fan apathy is prevalent. The city doesn't seem to care. Excuses can be made it's the floods. Yeah, that very well could be... and it probably did affect attendance on Friday night but if there isn't a spike as the season goes on then there's a problem out here.

There are whispers of concern in Calgary. Only 26,000 fans last game. Only 21,000 season tickets. Attendance has plummeted the past 3 seasons. We used to average 30,000 plus a game. Now we can't seem to get more than 28,000 tops. Living out here since 1990 & I'm sure 17to85 would agree, that fan apathy is prevalent. The city doesn't seem to care. Excuses can be made it's the floods. Yeah, that very well could be... and it probably did affect attendance on Friday night but if there isn't a spike as the season goes on then there's a problem out here.

it's really quite sad how the CFL is perceived. I play in a rec flag football league and just going by what people around there think it seems that the stamps and the CFL are just not in the forefront at all. All NFL fans who at best have a casual interest in the CFL and that's a damned shame. Honestly seems like the stamps kind of took support for granted... but then again southern Alberta sports fans are just the worst thing in the world as well. 

Stamps don't do much in the community, really. Other than the football night they have for women called "It's A Snap" they do very little. Once they play their last game they hang a sign outside their offices at McMahon Stadium saying, "Closed For Season". Dave Dickenson runs a winter quarterback camp in January & February. Hank still has a charity weekend in May even though he plays for Hamilton now. But those aren't affiliated with the Stamps in any way.  In April, the Stamps have an evening where fans come & ask questions modelled after what the Bombers do. Lyle Bauer started it 2 years ago. Other than that, do the Stampeders do anything in the community??? Nope. The philosophy is just put a team on the field & the fans will show up. It is a 1970's CFL marketing philosophy & look how that worked out... 

Been living here since 1990. I lknow the city & the fanbase. Apathy started two years ago. Attendance plummetted suddenly & has never come back. Why do you think Bauer "resigned"??? More like pushed out the door.I actually think that there is apathy but I also get the sense the Stamps really don't appreciate their fans. LIke I said, once the season is over they take a long winter's nap.  .

Been living here since 1990. I lknow the city & the fanbase. Apathy started two years ago. Attendance plummetted suddenly & has never come back. Why do you think Bauer "resigned"??? More like pushed out the door.I actually think that there is apathy but I also get the sense the Stamps really don't appreciate their fans. LIke I said, once the season is over they take a long winter's nap.  .

I would put a bit of the blame on the flood, at least for this year. 

But Calgary definitely needs a new park. That would certainly help.

There absolutely is a giant sense of apathy towards the stamps that seems to have been growing for the past couple years. 26000 might seem good on the surface, but it's really the fact that despite having a good team the attendance is dropping and fans seem to be quitting on the team, at least in the sense that they're not willing to go to the games as readily. Not sure what the solution is but it'd probably help to engage the community a lot more. 

I can say, without hesitation, Alberta sports fans (at least south of Red Deer) are some of the worst kinds of people. "Is it cool to cheer for this? Are all my friends doing it? Okay, then I'm in...." That's the mentality, and it makes me physically ill...

McMahon Stadium has the most uncomfortable seating in the CFL... as far as I'm concerned, any fans who attend multiple games there should be commended

have to agree, been there to games many times, and it wasn't very enjoyable.  Of course, almost every time I was there was to watch the Bombers get pounded...soo....

There's no McMahon Brothers around to spur development of a new stadium... as in 1959.  Mostly because oil companies aren't owned by Albertans anymore but by the Chinese. These guys & others from other countries won't spend a dime in the community.

There's no McMahon Brothers around to spur development of a new stadium... as in 1959.  Mostly because oil companies aren't owned by Albertans anymore but by the Chinese. These guys & others from other countries won't spend a dime in the community.

Well I own a few shares in my RRSP of Lightstream aka Petrobakken.  Maybe I can talk to them.  It's all a matter of getting the public will to do it.  Politicians aren't going to support something unless they see a public gain to them - ie getting re-elected.  Too bad the stadium wasn't in the floodzone, then at least there'd be an excuse to tear it down.  I saw Naheed at the game on Friday being interviewed on TSN, and actually having known him back in school I'd guess that was the first football game he's ever been to. 

He won't help get it built that's for sure. I don't think he likes sports unless it's cricket.

I doubt he'd know the difference between a football, cricketball, basketball or meatball.  Actually, given his current rather rotund girth, I think he'd recognize a meat-ball.  LOL

I can say, without hesitation, Alberta sports fans (at least south of Red Deer) are some of the worst kinds of people. "Is it cool to cheer for this? Are all my friends doing it? Okay, then I'm in...." That's the mentality, and it makes me physically ill...

It's Flames or nuthin'. The media eats out of Ken King's hand. If one of their players has a blister from playing too much golf in July, it's front page news in the Calgary Herald & Sun. The Stamps are sloppy seconds... 

But it's not even flames or nothing, no one cared about the flames before 04 right? Now that Iginla and Kipprusoff are gone and it's shaping up to be a real rough stretch ahead for that team with the fat fool Feaster in charge you can expect to see that bandwagon empty too. Calgary is very much a bandwagon town is what I've noticed in my time here. If it's hip to be a fan everyone is a fan if not then no one cares. I'm doing my best to convince everyone I know who isn't already a CFL fan that it's good times but it's a losing battle sometimes. 

But it's not even flames or nothing, no one cared about the flames before 04 right? Now that Iginla and Kipprusoff are gone and it's shaping up to be a real rough stretch ahead for that team with the fat fool Feaster in charge you can expect to see that bandwagon empty too. Calgary is very much a bandwagon town is what I've noticed in my time here. If it's hip to be a fan everyone is a fan if not then no one cares. I'm doing my best to convince everyone I know who isn't already a CFL fan that it's good times but it's a losing battle sometimes. 

Calgary really is a lemming town.  I remember one year I was invited to watch the Chucks during Stampede in the box of some oil company.  All the execs and junior VP suck-ups showed up in the +33C heat in their stupid Stampede cowboy gear, boots, cowboy shirt, jeans, hats etc.  I just said "**** it" and wore sandals, shorts and T-Shirt.  I think I had basically every guy in that box come up and lecture me that I wasn't wearing "proper Stampede attire" and I just laughed at them while they wiped the sweat away from their eyes in agony, and just kept saying "I'm from Kelowna.  I don't have to conform".  LOL

Yeah, as far as Calgary and the Flames, this town only loves 'em when they're winning. It's the ultimate bandwagon city. If it's hip to cheer for something, people will, and that's pretty much all there is to it. Drives me NUTS......