Ottawa Announces Entire Coaching Staff

Jpan85

Why are people so enamored by this staff?  It's full of unproven guys (with known names) and a whole bunch of guys who did good for one season and not so good in many other seasons.   I don't see anyone on that staff who retained a job for a long period of time with a winning team.

The only positive I can think is that it's good that they recruited guys who know the league and didn't go for the guys from down South.   But really you are jealous because Ike Charlton is a coach....  really??

Also what makes you think Ottawa will be a winner so fast?   Kevin Glenn was playing on a Calgary team with an A+ rb, very good o-line and some great receivers over the last few seasons.      Forget not Kevin Glenn how he plays once he gets hit a few times and feels the pressure?  Do you not remember Del Marco in BC having that very bad losing streak where he was replaced by Buck F'ning Pierce???   

I think people are vastly over rating Ottawa.   I hope that they are competitive and do "well" for the sake of the league retaining a team in Ottawa.... but I highly doubt that they'll be rolling Toronto and Montreal anytime soon.

They have better Canadian content than some other teams...with decent scouting down south they could do pretty well.

People keep waiting for Glenn to turtle when he gets pressured. But he's one of the best in the league at reading and reacting to blitzes. 

If the guys they drafted with bum knees and concussion issues return to the peak of their careers, you could have a discussion on that point.  In reality, no chance.

Why are people so enamored by this staff?  It's full of unproven guys (with known names) and a whole bunch of guys who did good for one season and not so good in many other seasons.   I don't see anyone on that staff who retained a job for a long period of time with a winning team.

The only positive I can think is that it's good that they recruited guys who know the league and didn't go for the guys from down South.   But really you are jealous because Ike Charlton is a coach....  really??

Also what makes you think Ottawa will be a winner so fast?   Kevin Glenn was playing on a Calgary team with an A+ rb, very good o-line and some great receivers over the last few seasons.      Forget not Kevin Glenn how he plays once he gets hit a few times and feels the pressure?  Do you not remember Del Marco in BC having that very bad losing streak where he was replaced by Buck F'ning Pierce???   

I think people are vastly over rating Ottawa.   I hope that they are competitive and do "well" for the sake of the league retaining a team in Ottawa.... but I highly doubt that they'll be rolling Toronto and Montreal anytime soon.

I like the look of their staff. I don't think they'll win for a couple years because of the difficulty of bringing in enough talent to an expansion team, no matter who's coaching the team.

But I think Campbell is going to be a great Head Coach -- he's got bits of experience coaching all 3 facets, plus the family pedigree to boot. Gibson and Nelson aren't explosive choices for coordinators, but I'd take Gibson over Bellefeuille, and Nelson over whoever we end up with. The positional coaches are all solid up-and-comers.

Only a Riderfan would say say something like this. We don't even have a DC yet and you already believe Nelson is better. 

Calling someone a nasty, offensive slur like that should be a bannable offense!

J'Micheal Deane is becoming a very good OL. I saw enough of him with the Stamps to come to that conclusion. He was nearly a full time starter who can play every position but center. Looks like it came down to the Stamps protecting former local Calgary Colts product Spencer Wilson or Deane. Wilson has missed a lot of time with back injuries the past 2 seasons as well as being spotted in & out of the lineup when he could play. I'm surprised the Stamps didn't leave Wilson protected. Right now, Deane is the better player.& has tremendous upside. Not convinced Wilson will ever be a full time Stamps starter with his injury issues. Don't understand this at all.

They have better Canadian content than some other teams...with decent scouting down south they could do pretty well.

People keep waiting for Glenn to turtle when he gets pressured. But he's one of the best in the league at reading and reacting to blitzes. 

If the guys they drafted with bum knees and concussion issues return to the peak of their careers, you could have a discussion on that point.  In reality, no chance.

The Bombers' Canadian content has just as many and maybe more question marks.  The safety position, the need for two American OL with an already challenged ratio, not the greatest talent at centre / guard, lack of depth behind Henoc Muamba.

Nelson has made some of his own decisions to leave teams, I'm not sure that qualifies him as a cast off. It seems that when coaches make what they deem are calculated decisions as to where they want to go or in some cases don't wish to go people get bitter and sour towards them. It's a hazardous profession....walk a mile in their shoes.

Well, in Ottawa as I see it, you have a portion of the fanbase that is excited to get the CFL back & a portion that will wait & see before they support it. In Winnipeg, you have a fanbase that is pissed off but willing to forgive the bad coaching & mismanagement at the drop of a hat if the team's fortunes turn around next season. Bomber fans are so pent up waiting for a winner it'll be like a volcano exploding when that actually happens. Factor in playing & coaching at Investors Group Field & if I was a coach I'd rather have success here in Winnipeg than Ottawa. I don't get that same vibe coming from out there. Only concerns that if the team doesn't win sooner rather than later it all could fold up again.

Bomber fans are so pent up waiting for a winner it'll be like a volcano exploding when that actually happens

Got the sense so many times last season that the fans were just waiting for a reason to blow the roof off the stadium but never got the chance. When this team turns things around it's going to be a glorious sight to see. 

Well, in Ottawa as I see it, you have a portion of the fanbase that is excited to get the CFL back & a portion that will wait & see before they support it. In Winnipeg, you have a fanbase that is pissed off but willing to forgive the bad coaching & mismanagement at the drop of a hat if the team's fortunes turn around next season. Bomber fans are so pent up waiting for a winner it'll be like a volcano exploding when that actually happens. Factor in playing & coaching at Investors Group Field & if I was a coach I'd rather have success here in Winnipeg than Ottawa. I don't get that same vibe coming from out there. Only concerns that if the team doesn't win sooner rather than later it all could fold up again.

I hope the people in Ottawa come out and support their team this go around.  Having proper ownership in place will mean a world of difference in managing that team (I know nothing about the new ownership, but it has to be better then what they had last time).

What they do have going for them this time around is that the economics of the game have changed.  The most recent TSN deal means they are not as reliant on gate revenue.  But it will be very unfortunate if they aren't supported at the gate.

I hope the people in Ottawa come out and support their team this go around.  Having proper ownership in place will mean a world of difference in managing that team (I know nothing about the new ownership, but it has to be better then what they had last time).

What they do have going for them this time around is that the economics of the game have changed.  The most recent TSN deal means they are not as reliant on gate revenue.  But it will be very unfortunate if they aren't supported at the gate.

I hope for this as well, still very skeptical about Ottawa's chances, but I'm hoping this ownership group can figure it out, and the fans show up in full force.

The OSEG plan is a smart one though, they're not just relying on revenue from the RedBlacks, Fury FC and 67's, but also from sharing (with the City) the new revenues brought into the Landsowne project (condos, hotel, movie theatre, retail etc), and I believe as a group they have deep pockets, maybe even the richest in the League.

If nothing else, it can't be worse than the Argos.

• 1 month later...