Community Elect Bombers BOD?

BigBlue

Well what we have had for management in the last two decades has been futility and the bottom line cause for our failure as a team

Little bit of a luck and maybe they have a couple Grey Cups in that time and are you still bitching? Yeah there have been some crappy seasons in the last 2 decades but there have been some good ones too that just lacked a championship. I would argue that the biggest mistake wasn't even a board influenced one, it was a Lyle Bauer one. Bringing in Kelly cause of that whole "it's been 20 years, we NEED a cup" attitude is the worst thing this club has ever done and set the thing completely off the rails. 

Maybe its as simple as they have better / more qualified people on their board.    Jim Hopson, their CEO also has a lot to do with their success.

The boards job should really be giving guidance at a high level and making sure the right people are running the organization.   They shouldn't be hiring / firing coaches and GMs.

The board should put the right people in place for the organization to run.  Lets hope they finally got it right with Wade Miller.

I agree on all points.

Rich, you and I have discussed this before, essentially all I want is accountability, the right people governing, not meddling in day to day ops etc.

The fact that leaks are still occurring, nothing was done about the Mack leak, Mack being hired by the Board in the first place, certain members clearly having a lot of influence on the Board and are treating the Bombers as their own toy etc, is not sitting well with me. The Board IMO is just an knee jerky as some the fans, and yet realistically there's nothing we fans can do about it, because inevitably it would just lead to more knee jerk reactions or us fans hurting the team.

Yes, we definitely agree on the bolded part. I don't think an entirely voted in board is the answer.  Just the logistics of who is put on the ballot, how do they campaign to get peoples votes, etc, etc.  I hate politics at the best of times, and I would hate for the Bombers board to become that.

I know you are making suggestions to try and change the status quo, which hasn't been working, and I would be for any change that made the Bombers better..  I wish I had a viable alternative suggestion.  

I guess I'm just missing the part about how this increases accountability.  Whether an individual board member does a great job or terrible job (which we would never know), they are off the board after three years.  How does this increase accountability?

The fact of the matter is that we will be successful when we get a strong president and GM in place (not saying Miller and Walters aren't).  Success will follow naturally.  Now, it is up to the board to hire that president, but do the chances of a good president hire go up if the fans have voted in the board?  I don't think so... they stay the same at best.  It's not like 20,000 season ticket holders are doing thorough research on each candidate up for election... it would just be the same **** in a different pile.

As a community owned team, we will never find a suitable structure with a publicly elected board, given the state of the franchise as it is right now.  We are at a critical junction right now, and laying the groundwork properly for a successful future is top priority. The decisions made over the next 1-2 years are going to be vital, and that's not something to take lightly.  The average member of the public, casual fans, die-hards, most of them just do not get it.  If we get this wrong now, the sustainability and viability of this club could be put into question sooner than later.  

None of us know at this point how the hiring of Miller by the Board and the subsequent hiring of Walters by Miller will work out.

To me...the recent hires, and the obvious desire to change things and not maintain the status quo, are all steps in the right direction. It would also seem to me that those criticizing the present Board, might want to reconsider, seeing as it would appear the Bombers are moving in the right direction.

For the first time since last season I am optimistic.