More On Jim Van Pelt

SpeedFlex27

I found a story on van pelt in Weekend Magazine rom 1959 with a great action photo. We had a brief discusssion about Jim earlier in the week. I thought this would help the younger posters here who may have never heard of him to be more knowledgeable. But the photo wouldn't load & it was part of the story so, c'est la vie. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I found a story on van pelt in Weekend Magazine rom 1959 with a great action photo. We had a brief discusssion about Jim earlier in the week. I thought this would help the younger posters here who may have never heard of him to be more knowledgeable. But the photo wouldn't load & it was part of the story so, c'est la vie. 

Did you see the photo online? I can hunt for it if that helps.  Always love your takes on the Bombers from yesteryear. Great for the younger fans on MBB to hear about the original glory days from someone in the know. 

3465694_orig.jpg

I think this is the article you were referring to. 

6 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Did you see the photo online? I can hunt for it if that helps.  Always love your takes on the Bombers from yesteryear. Great for the younger fans on MBB to hear about the original glory days from someone in the know. 

3465694_orig.jpg

I think this is the article you were referring to. 

Yeah, I had cropped it to get rid of the ugly brown borders as well as enlarged it so it could be read but it wouldn't upload here. If van pelt had stayed healthy & not have been drafted then we'd have been talking about Ken Ploen as an all time cornerback rather than a qb. Things happen for a reason, I guess. Yet, he's virtually forgotten today. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

He came to the Bombers as almost an afterthought and did a helluva job in taking the no 1 pivot job away from Kenny.....He was just too good to have him anything else on the club.....Great passer and very savvy ...If it wasn't for a classless dirty hit out of bounds by Rollie Miles of the Esks, we could have seen the emergence of one of the best qbs. ever to grace this league....

4 hours ago, Stickem said:

He came to the Bombers as almost an afterthought and did a helluva job in taking the no 1 pivot job away from Kenny.....He was just too good to have him anything else on the club.....Great passer and very savvy ...If it wasn't for a classless dirty hit out of bounds by Rollie Miles of the Esks, we could have seen the emergence of one of the best qbs. ever to grace this league....

I think Jim Van Pelt should be on the Wall of Fame myself even though his career was short. The man is virtually forgotten yet he eas an important piece of the puzzle when he did play. VP was as good as you describe.

I wonder how Ploen felt knowing the Bombers wanted VP back & were wining & dining him as he played in the 62 Grey Cup? Ploen couldn't have been happy considering how well he played since VP left. It was his team now & not Jim van Pelt's. I wonder if there would have been locker room issues between the 2 had VP come back for the 63 season? 

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

It was his team now & not Jim van Pelt's. I wonder if there would have been locker room issues between the 2 had VP come back for the 63 season? 

Definitely on the issues....but Grant was such a foxy ol coach around the players he would have worked it out ....That's why Grant has a statue outside the stadium.......none better

Edited by Stickem

• 2 weeks later...
On 2023-11-19 at 7:52 PM, Stickem said:

On 2023-11-19 at 7:52 PM, Stickem said:

Definitely on the issues....but Grant was such a foxy ol coach around the players he would have worked it out ....That's why Grant has a statue outside the stadium.......none better

One of them would have been traded. Probably the guy playing worse.