2022: Preseason 4 - Oilers

On 2022-10-02 at 1:52 AM, Jpan85 said:

Why would the unveil the statue during the preseason?

Simple answer #1 - can sell more tickets to the pre-season game that follows and make more money than wait for the already sold-out home opener. 

16 hours ago, Goalie said:

Temps will drop for 2 days then go back up. I heard snow not really expected until later November even 

Anyways tho.... now that Ducky has his statue... who else gets one? 

Simple answer #2  - no one.

2 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I might have heard the Gus Bus's name once. Would not be surprised if sent down again. I know he is media darling but so was Mikey E.

Then there is Gagner who like Gus, heard his name once. Saku and Toni had good camps.

Barron for coditioning if he dont show up last 2 games.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

14 hours ago, Noeller said:

For what? I mean, I know there's not a lot to celebrate in Jets history, but he was only here a few years, and yes he had a great rookie season, but other than that, what's "statue worthy"?? 

It's certainly not Teemu's fault that the team moved in 1996 & his contract was dumped by the team in January before they moved. Who knows what he'd have accomplished had the team & him stayed. that & he loved playing here. I'd also say Bobby Hull as a no brainer as his signing by the Jets gave instant credibility to the WHA. Without Bobby there'd be no WHA-NHL merger. Meaning no teams in Edmonton, Calgary or Ottawa. I know that isn't what a lot of people who never saw Hull play or know what his signing meant would say. 

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

It's certainly not Teemu's fault that the team moved in 1996 & his contract was dumped by the team in January before they moved. Who knows what he'd have accomplished had the team & him stayed. that & he loved playing here. I'd also say Bobby Hull as a no brainer as his signing by the Jets gave instant credibility to the WHA. Without Bobby there'd be no WHA-NHL merger. Meaning no teams in Edmonton, Calgary or Ottawa. I know that isn't what a lot of people who never saw Hull play or know what his signing meant would say. 

Very aware of what Hull meant to hockey here and agree with his impact overall, but his (alleged) wife-beating and Nazi comments  make a statue a non-starter.