Game 10 : Flames

56 minutes ago, Noeller said:

no mention of Brossoit's phenomenal effort on Gaudreau's shot at the end (to come out and challenge that far, taking away all of his targets) and Forbort's volleyball save, on a puck that went up and over Brossy and might have faleln in the net if he hadn't batted it away. Two absolutely crucial, game changing plays...

Yup and not to mention how wide open Gaudreau was open on the play. Knowing the Flames had an extra skater on the ice but jeez wouldn't Gaudreau command a little more attention and awareness of where he is on the ice.

2 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Brossy's left arm was pretty twisted there. Think he would have won it.

giphy.gif

I think there was interference on the play......and I am pretty sure the refs would still have upheld the goal. 

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

no mention of Brossoit's phenomenal effort on Gaudreau's shot at the end (to come out and challenge that far, taking away all of his targets) and Forbort's volleyball save, on a puck that went up and over Brossy and might have faleln in the net if he hadn't batted it away. Two absolutely crucial, game changing plays...

Great save but he almost blew it by failing to freeze the puck and letting it squirt out by his stick. He had buried his head and had no clue the puck was still loose. Good on Lowry for picking up the puck and dumping it out. Overall a really nice game from Brossoit, and Forbert had been playing it simple and steady for the most part. 

3 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I think there was interference on the play......and I am pretty sure the refs would still have upheld the goal. 

Unfortunately, I think you’re 100% right.  That angle really shows the interference was fairly obvious, but I have no faith they would have overturned the call.  But I also think you still need to challenge, even though I understand why he didn’t.

47 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I couldn't love this more.... On so many levels. 

Hustler and Rick Ralph were on this afternoon expressing surprise at why fans are jumping all over Wheeler, conveniently ignoring that is was a media session and the media were the ones broaching the subject of him slowing down and throwing out analytics to bash his performance. The media say that they are only parroting what fans are saying to dodge their own accountability in creating drama, but when the majority of fans disagree with them on something, they chafe at that criticism too. I am getting a little tired of the media creating the news and stirring the pot instead of just reporting it, and then getting all defensive any denying that they are doing just that and blaming the fans for calling their integrity into question. Jakob Voracek was bang on. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

9 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

6 of his 11 points have come on the power play

Declining numbers 5 on 5

Team worse -9

8.25 million per year

I'd say fans have some reasons to not be happy with Wheeler

Yeah, they do. Criticism of his play is not unreasonable but fans outright shitting on him is pathetic. And that's all been exacerbated by that garbage column from Pekka Jalonen how he and Scheifele bullied Laine. But the team is 6-3-1 and sitting pretty comfortably in a playoff spot in the North Division. It's not like the Jets are sitting at the bottom struggling to be competitive. And who cares where he gets his points? It's not like special teams points have less weight than even strength ones. He's on pace for another 60+ point season, anyway.

FWIW, he's also not the only "face of the franchise" player struggling. Scheifele, Morrissey, and even Hellebuyck have been rocky at times so far but this is without an extended TC or a pre-season. So, I think the overly harsh fans out there would do well to pump the brakes on their vitriol and remember what he's done for this team and the community.

At the end of the day, we are all fans. We don't see what happens behind closed doors. So, I think Maurice is in a better position to judge his players than any of us are.

9 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

...it’s fair game to point out he’s also on pace to be minus-73 over an 82-game season.

+/- is about as useless a stat for a skater* as GAA is for a goalie. Neither paints even a remotely complete picture of team play, the latter being the optimal and most objective method by which to evaluate a team. His analytics, however, are in no way flattering thus far but as I've already stated, the Jets are winning more games than not - and wins are all that matter in team sports.

* (https://hockey-graphs.com/2016/11/01/behind-the-numbers-why-plusminus-is-the-worst-statistic-in-hockey-and-should-be-abolished/)