Pencer to start at Right Guard

Atomic

well one of the problems was also that there was no depth in terms of NIs so you can't say there were really any positions to NOT draft at. Not like the position was completely ignored either, I would be much more inclined to say that they just weren't good at identifying what made a good lineman or not, which is also seen in the lack of american offensive lineman who are any good. 

4 years of Mack Drafting (by position)

OL - 4  (Greaves, Dunn, Swiston, Pencer)

Rec - 7 (Watson, Etienne, Mahoney, Poblah, Aprile, DiCroce, Alli)

RB - 2 (Woodson, Volny)

FB - 1 (Fitzgerald)

DL - 3 (Thomas, Bilukidi, Mulumba)

LB - 3 (C. Smith, Muamba, Stephan)

DB - 1 (Robertson)

P/K - 1 (Pavlopolous)

RB - 2 (Woodson, Volny)

FB - 1 (Fitzgerald)

DB - 1 (Robertson)

P/K - 1 (Pavlopolous)

Really shows how he tried to cover all bases because Kelly destroyed our NI depth so badly...

RB - 2 (Woodson, Volny)

FB - 1 (Fitzgerald)

DB - 1 (Robertson)

P/K - 1 (Pavlopolous)

Other than a DB (who was probably intended to be someone in the pipeline at safety) his drafting makes a lot of sense.

Our NI receivers were TERRIBLE when he got here (lots drafted) - we decided to go NI at MLB (3 lb's drafted so that we had backups for Muamba when Labbe left) - we wanted some rotational DL NI's a la DB97 (3 drafted)

The only real mistakes I see are the NI RB's that he drafted (since we were pretty set going IMP at that position) - who knows if there were any decent OL prospects available when he drafted those RB's... they weren't exactly high picks

Of course hindsight is 20/20 but here are some names we passed on, and who we took instead.  Not saying we should have taken these guys, just pointing out which currently contributing OL we had a shot at.  May have missed a couple.

2010 - Ryan Bomben (4th round, MTL backup G), Patrick Neufeld (5th round, Sask starter G/T), Adam Baboulas (6th round, BC backup G) - Took Woodson and Chris Smith earlier.

2011 - Alex Krausnick (4th round, Edm starter C) - Took Swiston and Dunn ahead of him.

2012 - Matt Norman (3rd round, BC starter C/G), Mike Filer (5th round, Ham backup C/G), Ryan White (6th round, Mtl PR tackle) - Took Bilukidi ahead of Norman; Stephan and Thomas ahead of Filer and White.

2013 - Brett Jones (2nd round, Cgy starter C) - Took Mulumba and Robertson ahead of him.

Of course hindsight is 20/20 but here are some names we passed on, and who we took instead.  Not saying we should have taken these guys, just pointing out which currently contributing OL we had a shot at.  May have missed a couple.

2010 - Ryan Bomben (4th round, MTL backup G), Patrick Neufeld (5th round, Sask starter G/T), Adam Baboulas (6th round, BC backup G) - Took Woodson and Chris Smith earlier.

2011 - Alex Krausnick (4th round, Edm starter C) - Took Swiston and Dunn ahead of him.

2012 - Matt Norman (3rd round, BC starter C/G), Mike Filer (5th round, Ham backup C/G), Ryan White (6th round, Mtl PR tackle) - Took Bilukidi ahead of Norman; Stephan and Thomas ahead of Filer and White.

2013 - Brett Jones (2nd round, Cgy starter C) - Took Mulumba and Robertson ahead of him.

The only ones on that list that I'd want are Bomben, Norman and Jones. And none of them do anything to alleviate our current mess. Jones is an improvement over Sorensen but really, that's not going to make a huge difference at this point.

So basically, no deal breakers for me although hindsight does show some guys we could've taken.

And before anyone asks me why I wouldn't want Neufeld ... he's looked terrible for Saskatchewan this year. Not quite Boatmanesque, but close. Still a project though, he could get better.

I think if we had drafted Norman AND Jones our O-line would look a lot better right now.

Depth maybe, there's no way both would be starting for us.

why do you say that? They're both better then the starters we employ.

where would you start them?

Terrible? You mean game one against Bryant Turner?

The guy started half a year at Guard on a better line then ours, went back to school to finish his degree, and impressed enough to be slated in to the starting RG position in 2013... that's terrible?

The reason he's a center this year is because Reid got hurt and he ran away with the position.... We could use guys like that on this Line if you ask me.

Were you actually watching him play?  He was getting killed for the first 4 or 5 games until he really started to take off.  Like I said, he was terrible for part of his time at guard.  Doesn't mean he hasn't improved, because he obviously has.

I don't disagree that he could help us here and I never said he couldn't.  But I'm not ready to put him on a pedestal as you have and declare him an upgrade over Greaves and Pencer.

Pencer may be better, but hes only played one game, I like Greaves more. I never said he was better than greaves. I said right now I'd take him at guard over swiston, Pencer, and Morley.

I'm not saying the guys an all star, I'm just saying he's a better RG then what we currently have.

Pencer may be better, but hes only played one game, I like Greaves more. I never said he was better than greaves. I said right now I'd take him at guard over swiston, Pencer, and Morley.

I'm not saying the guys an all star, I'm just saying he's a better RG then what we currently have.

I honestly just don't agree.

I'd gladly take him over Sorensen at center, but not over Pencer at guard.

For his age/experience, Norman is doing very well.  If we inserted Greaves, Norman would be starting here as well, no doubt.

Maybe if Norman and Jones are here, Pencer is at RT...?  I am confused at the over-estimate of Pencer at RG, yet kind of bashing Norman... 

Neufeld is struggling this year but I thought was 'okay' at Tackle last year... probably because of his RG support though.  Regardless, Smith and Woodson are no longer here... not sure if Parenteau is that much better than Neufeld given age, etc.

Bilukidi and Mulumba are fine picks if you are Calgary or someone like that, Winnipeg needed help right now and Mack picked long-shots.

For his age/experience, Norman is doing very well.  If we inserted Greaves, Norman would be starting here as well, no doubt.

Maybe if Norman and Jones are here, Pencer is at RT...?  I am confused at the over-estimate of Pencer at RG, yet kind of bashing Norman... 

Neufeld is struggling this year but I thought was 'okay' at Tackle last year... probably because of his RG support though.  Regardless, Smith and Woodson are no longer here... not sure if Parenteau is that much better than Neufeld given age, etc.

Bilukidi and Mulumba are fine picks if you are Calgary or someone like that, Winnipeg needed help right now and Mack picked long-shots.

I like taking the flier on Bilukidi when he did .. middle round seems appropriate .. especially when you have a full complement of draft picks.  Mulumba on the other hand was a reach we couldn't afford to take .. hindsight being what it is, it would have been nice if Mack had listened to Walters and taken Edem with that pick. 

I like taking the flier on Bilukidi when he did .. middle round seems appropriate .. especially when you have a full complement of draft picks.  Mulumba on the other hand was a reach we couldn't afford to take .. hindsight being what it is, it would have been nice if Mack had listened to Walters and taken Edem with that pick. 

Have to imagine it would be difficult to justify signing Cauchy Muamba, while drafting Edem. 

Now, imagine if we listened to Walters, drafted Edem, and threw our FA money at an O-Lineman...

Have to imagine it would be difficult to justify signing Cauchy Muamba, while drafting Edem. 

Now, imagine if we listened to Walters, drafted Edem, and threw our FA money at an O-Lineman...

Which FA OL did you want last year? :P