Rogue One *SPOILERS*

The Unknown Poster

9 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I think that was Geonosis or whatever it was called, not Mustafar.  Mustafar was first shown when Anakin went there to kill the separatists and fought Obi Wan (if i recall correctly).

There is the idea that the second Death Star is a flaw but I would suspect the Emperor ordered its construction and kept it secret - had two different compartmentalized teams working on both.  And recall the second Death Star was far from finished (although fully operational).  it was clearly created in haste.

Im a bit surprised there was nothing in RO connecting to the new sequels, but in all honesty, its probably for the best.

Correct.  Geonosis was in Attack of the Clones, and Mustafar is where they began building the first Death Star.

And, I agree, it was best to leave out any connection to the new sequels.  It was important this film kind of stand on it's own.

8 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

Correct.  Geonosis was in Attack of the Clones, and Mustafar is where they began building the first Death Star.

And, I agree, it was best to leave out any connection to the new sequels.  It was important this film kind of stand on it's own.

I dunno the whole premise of the movie is based off the other sequels, so it can never really stand on it's own.  IMO it's the connections to the others that makes the movie worth watching, and after watching ANH before bed last night, I think they did a great job leading into the opening sequence of ANH with Leia's ship being chased by Darth Vader in a Star Destroyer.

The only reason I mention the Starkiller from TFA is because so far there is no real backstory on why the First Order built it, especially after the Death Star failed twice,  you would think this mega weapon plan is no good at some point,  when the most effective results have come from large number of stormtroopers, which the first order has as well.  and well... in TFA the Starkiller fails too so that's 0 for 3.  

29 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I dunno the whole premise of the movie is based off the other sequels, so it can never really stand on it's own.  IMO it's the connections to the others that makes the movie worth watching, and after watching ANH before bed last night, I think they did a great job leading into the opening sequence of ANH with Leia's ship being chased by Darth Vader in a Star Destroyer.

The only reason I mention the Starkiller from TFA is because so far there is no real backstory on why the First Order built it, especially after the Death Star failed twice,  you would think this mega weapon plan is no good at some point,  when the most effective results have come from large number of stormtroopers, which the first order has as well.  and well... in TFA the Starkiller fails too so that's 0 for 3.  

RO definitely served the saga in the sense it set up A New Hope and also retconned the Death Star's fatal flaw.  It somewhat connected the Prequels to the original saga also.  But I think if it had tried to address TFA, it would have come across as trying too hard.  As it is, the weakness of RO is that it seemed to collapse under it's own weight.  I get the sense they had enough footage to make two or three films and had trouble editing it down and keeping everything they needed, hence the choppy first act and some of the weak narrative.

As for why the First Order build Starkiller, I think its as simply as remembering that Star Wars was based on old serials.  The bad guys do bad things, always trying to create a bigger, better, badder super weapon.  Star Wars is its best when its relatively simple.  They created the Death Star II because it was bigger and badder than the first.  They created Star Killer because it was bigger and badder than the Death Star.

4 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Sorry, I didn't finish my sentence.  I get people walking into my office and for some reason I submitted my reply thinking I was done.

When I say stand on it's own, I mean more that it should have nothing to do with the broader star wars universe, as in it's its own heist film.  It shouldn't be trying to tie itself into anything other then Episode 4.

I definitely agree with the points of keeping it simple and not going too deep, but I dont think it would have complicated things to much to take a few minutes out of the movie to say (as Krennic) ok so Tarkin is going to take credit for my death star, but it's flawed, I will let him give the flawed weapon to the emperor while I build a bigger and better version in the Starkiller and will eventually succeed where Tarkin will fail with the emperor.   

Unfortunately they may need a Rogue "Two" between ROTJ and TFA otherwise to explain how the rebel alliance allows the first order to rise and build this weapon and not being able to stop it.

speaking of which i did find it interesting that in RO there were Rebels and then there was the Alliance (2 separate entities)  like above, i've always thought it was one in the same,  but just 2 groups fighting for the same cause

The one thing I thought we might see is Lars San Tekka (if that was his name), the old guy at the beginning of TFA who provided Poe with the map to Like Skywalker.  I figured they'd retroactively make him someone important especially since they made a point of him mentioning how Leia would always be "Princess" to him, implying he was a player during the original trilogy. 

I also thought they might keep someone alive from RO and possibly re-visit them "old" in TFA trilogy.  But the fact they did neither isnt really a disappointment.

There was a bit too much of plot contrivances happening because they had to happen to move the story along.  But perhaps thats JJ Abrams influence as that was the issue with Star Trek too.  Perhaps if they had let RO be split into two films, they could have paced things better and let Vader have a bigger role.

They really HAVE to have a Vader story now.  And an Obi Wan story.  My prediction is the 3rd anthology film will be Vader hunting the remaining Jedi after ROTS.  You could combine that into an Obi Wan/Yoda story also, but would have to figure out a way for them not to run into Vader.  Not sure how you script a satisfying payoff/climax without Vader and Obi Wan meeting, but Im sure someone can figure it out.

There are rumours that RO does reference the sequel trilogy in ways we just dont know yet.  One might be that Vader's castle becomes a location in Episode VIII or IX.  And that would make sense to a degree.  Would be cool if Kylo pays it a visit and its abandoned but contains "memories" or relics from Vader's time.

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

The one thing I thought we might see is Lars San Tekka (if that was his name), the old guy at the beginning of TFA who provided Poe with the map to Like Skywalker.  I figured they'd retroactively make him someone important especially since they made a point of him mentioning how Leia would always be "Princess" to him, implying he was a player during the original trilogy. 

I also thought they might keep someone alive from RO and possibly re-visit them "old" in TFA trilogy.  But the fact they did neither isnt really a disappointment.

There was a bit too much of plot contrivances happening because they had to happen to move the story along.  But perhaps thats JJ Abrams influence as that was the issue with Star Trek too.  Perhaps if they had let RO be split into two films, they could have paced things better and let Vader have a bigger role.

They really HAVE to have a Vader story now.  And an Obi Wan story.  My prediction is the 3rd anthology film will be Vader hunting the remaining Jedi after ROTS.  You could combine that into an Obi Wan/Yoda story also, but would have to figure out a way for them not to run into Vader.  Not sure how you script a satisfying payoff/climax without Vader and Obi Wan meeting, but Im sure someone can figure it out.

I agree with the Lars San Tekka, he could have easily been written in as General Draven's role (guy who was giving Cassian orders on Yavin)

as far as solo stories,  if they are doing a Han Solo movie,  then I agree with Obi Wan, but when would you time the movie, while he was general during the clone wars, or as old ben in exile?

you can pretty much say episode 1-6 is the vader story. I'd like to see a Yoda movie myself but in his real young days

I saw some conspiracy thing on FB a friend was trying to tell me that Mace Windu is Snoke lol is all i said though the pic they posted of the 2 was kind of similar only snoke was the after math of Windu getting electrocuted out the window

10 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

There are rumours that RO does reference the sequel trilogy in ways we just dont know yet.  One might be that Vader's castle becomes a location in Episode VIII or IX.  And that would make sense to a degree.  Would be cool if Kylo pays it a visit and its abandoned but contains "memories" or relics from Vader's time.

it seemed like they did a real long zoom in of vader's castle, which is cool cuz now that i think of it,  you never see a "home" for Vader or the Emperor in any of the movies, same with Kylo Ren in TFA, just always chillin on a star destroyer or flying around in shuttles/tie fighters

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

Id make an Obi Wan film after Revenge and before A New Hope.  A New Hope makes it seem like he just hid out on Tatooine for 18 years.  But who's to say he didnt have any adventures.  I mean, something must have made him age about 40 years over that 18! lol 

It would be cool seeing Obi Wan both "keeping watch" over Luke and going off on another damn fool mission.  Obi Wan mentioned trying to give Anakins light saber to Like when he was young but Uncle Owen wouldn't allow it.  So we can assume Obi Wan had a more direct involvement in Luke's early years.  Something happened and Owen decided he wasnt going to let Luke grow up to be a Jedi and banned Obi Wan from coming around. 

If Vader was hunting down Jedi, I could see Obi Wan going to help.

Windu as Snoke.  Hmmm.  They could certainly explore Windu again.  He was alive when he was tossed out the window.  Did the electricity kill him?  Did the fall kill him?  As a powerful Jedi he should have been able to save himself if it was just the fall that was his undoing.  Going into hiding as well would make sense.

I've seen people say Snoke is a reincarnated Anakin too (by the scars on his head).  I think the problem is, Han and Leia talk about Snoke like he's just some guy they know.  I think that eliminates anyone "big" from the Prequels.

20 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I saw some conspiracy thing on FB a friend was trying to tell me that Mace Windu is Snoke lol is all i said though the pic they posted of the 2 was kind of similar only snoke was the after math of Windu getting electrocuted out the window

That's been around for a while.  It's totally false.  I believe Snoke is actually a very tall humanoid character which is why they had to make him from CGI.  He's apparently something like 7 or 8 feet from what I've heard (and I'm not talking about his hologram).  That's even what Andy Serkis said when he was getting ready for it which is why they're doing mocap.

3 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

That's been around for a while.  It's totally false.  I believe Snoke is actually a very tall humanoid character which is why they had to make him from CGI.  He's apparently something like 7 or 8 feet from what I've heard (and I'm not talking about his hologram).  That's even what Andy Serkis said when he was getting ready for it which is why they're doing mocap.

There has to be more to him though.  They risk disappointing people if Snoke is just....Snoke.  Much like Rey's parents have to be someone we know.

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

There has to be more to him though.  They risk disappointing people if Snoke is just....Snoke.  Much like Rey's parents have to be someone we know.

Could be, but how many 8 foot tall human looking people have we seen in Star Wars?  Personally I don't like the theory that he's that tall.  Just seems weird.

I keep thinking he's going to be that being who was the dark side in Clone Wars cartoon, if he is actually that tall.  I don't know.  There's just too much misinformation out there sometimes that you can never get any real clues.

Oh, some people were even thinking that Snoke is that guy that bowed down to Vader in Rogue One.  And others are like "no he's too old"...unless he's a long lived race or knows the dark side and has the ability to keep himself alive.  But I doubt it.

Edited by Logan007

if there was a way to tie snoke with the sith of old like before the rule of two,  it could serve well for a yoda movie

that said,  I've read snoke is imposingly big but it's funny they try to make vader the same way, Spencer Wilding who plays Vader in RO is 6'7"  yet Hayden Christensen is only 6' and before that David Prowse was 6'3

Dave_Prowse_Champions.JPG

3 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

Oh, some people were even thinking that Snoke is that guy that bowed down to Vader in Rogue One.  And others are like "no he's too old"...unless he's a long lived race or knows the dark side and has the ability to keep himself alive.  But I doubt it.

Ive seen a few theories, like he was an admiral in the empire, or someone known as the operator, i dont think snokes age is revelant because RO-TFA is about a 30-40 year gap (have to imagine Luke and Leia are about 17-18 in ANH, and Kylo and Rey are about that age in TFA) Luke and Leia look about 60

Snoke also looks like he got the piss beat out of him at some point,  so that could factor into his appearance. he looks kind of burnt tbh with alot of scar tissue around his face which makes age guess extremely difficult

8 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

if there was a way to tie snoke with the sith of old like before the rule of two,  it could serve well for a yoda movie

that said,  I've read snoke is imposingly big but it's funny they try to make vader the same way, Spencer Wilding who plays Vader in RO is 6'7"  yet Hayden Christensen is only 6' and before that David Prowse was 6'3

Dave_Prowse_Champions.JPG

Letting Hayden be Vader in ROTS was a mistake.  Well, they could have corrected it with better directing and design.  But his Vader looked so puny.  Also, using a more "clean" and advanced Vader suit was stupid too.  RO got it right with the same suit he wore in ANH but since everyone is used to seeing a "better" suit, it looks wrong when its actually correct.

5 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Ive seen a few theories, like he was an admiral in the empire, or someone known as the operator, i dont think snokes age is revelant because RO-TFA is about a 30-40 year gap (have to imagine Luke and Leia are about 17-18 in ANH, and Kylo and Rey are about that age in TFA) Luke and Leia look about 60

Snoke also looks like he got the piss beat out of him at some point,  so that could factor into his appearance. he looks kind of burnt tbh with alot of scar tissue around his face which makes age guess extremely difficult

I think they say that 30 years pass between ROTJ and TFA.  Rey is early 20's and Kylo is closer to 30.

9 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Kylo is 30 years old in TFA.  He was born right after RotJ.  Rey is 20.

That rumor I just told you about the guy kneeling down in front of Vader in the bacta tank is false.  I just read Pablo Hidalgo's tweet about his name being Vanee and that he is not Snoke.

Still, Snoke could be a long lived race, and like you said, had met Yoda when he was young.  He's obviously old enough considering he's supposedly been around since the prequels.

Ah, this is where I read about the height of Snoke:

http://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2016/12/star-wars-episode-viii-rumor-a-more-practical-snoke.html

For Star Wars: Episode VIII it appears, at least in part, that Snoke will not be a character generated in a computer. Instead he will be a huge puppet around seven to eight feet tall, taking several people to operate and a man inside a suit to make him walk. Stylistically, it seems as if Snoke may be CGI generated for the holographic communication sequences, but when he has scenes in Episode VIII next to real flesh-and-blood humans like Kylo Ren he will be a practical puppet with facial features operated by the crew.

We don’t know exactly how much screen time Snoke has in Episode VIII and that makes it impossible to say he’s almost always a puppet in the film or CGI. But we do know the puppet is pretty impressive and appears to be articulated in such a way it seems it is more than an elaborate stand-in.

We suspect that the film may show us some of Kylo Ren, General Hux, and Phasma meeting with Snoke after the destruction of Starkiller Base. It has been confirmed that the film begins mere moments after Star Wars: The Force Awakens. With a lot of the film taking place on Ahch-To where Rey and Luke are, it seems as if we might get the juxtaposition of Luke and Rey between Snoke and Kylo. It would seem the puppet Snoke would be more powerful and interesting to look at than a CGI character, of which audiences are continually critiquing the visuals.

So I doubt he'll be anyone we've seen before.

Edited by Logan007

5 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Unfortunately they may need a Rogue "Two" between ROTJ and TFA otherwise to explain how the rebel alliance allows the first order to rise and build this weapon and not being able to stop it.

What's the chance they do a cartoon series like the Clone Wars to cover this time? Seems the only way they can do it with the actors being the age they are.

7 minutes ago, tacklewasher said:

What's the chance they do a cartoon series like the Clone Wars to cover this time? Seems the only way they can do it with the actors being the age they are.

theres currently a novel out there called Star Wars: Aftermath that kind rolls along the lines of the empire didn't completely fall after the battle of Endor, that talks about factions of the empire basically still counter attacking but their base of operation pushed to the outskirts of the galaxy. I dont know if it's good enough for a movie or not at this point, but I'm sure who ever did the clone wars cartoons probably has something about this in mind already.

TBH i read this thread before seeing the movie last night so I was specifically watching to see how they did Tarkin and Leia with the CGI,  it was a little obvious when you know it is what it is, but my son thought Tarkin looked pretty good considering, I thought Leia was better even if she was in only for a moment.  I dont think it would be a big box office hit if it was all like that (or even like the way Beowolf was) but it's doable

I just saw the movie and it was really good. I did not find it confusing at all. 

I can't believe some reviews complained about the CGI Tarkin and Leia? It was amazing I had to google to see if the original actor (Peter Cushing) was still alive and if they had just CGI his face. Absolutely amazing effects. 

Seeing Leia at the end was great it really capped off the movie well.

A++ movie IMO!