Andrew Harris - Cal Murphy ‘Heart of a Legend Award’ and nominee for Tom Pate Memorial Award

Jacquie

From the Bombers website:

Andrew Harris has been voted by his teammates as the 2016 recipient of the Cal Murphy ‘Heart of a Legend Award’ for outstanding sportsmanship and dedication to the Canadian Football League and the community. The veteran running back is also the team’s nominee for the prestigious Tom Pate Memorial Award, chosen annually by the Canadian Football League Players’ Association.

“To be recognized by my teammates in this way means more than any award,” said Harris. “Giving back to the community that helped shape and mould the man I am today is just my way of paying it forward.”

Harris, who has been named the club’s Most Outstanding Canadian, led the Bombers in rushing this year with 974 yards and four touchdowns, finishing third in the CFL and added 67 receptions for 631 yards and another score – numbers all compiled despite missing three games.

Off the field, Harris started the Harris’ Heroes program to help bring teams of deserving youth to games. Since returning to his hometown, Harris has gone above and beyond to integrate himself into the community by attending high school football games, mentoring young players, and actively engaging with fans.

Cal Murphy was a hall of fame coach and manager for the Bombers from 1983-96, helping the club capture three championships in 1984, 1988 and 1990. He was a two-time winner of the Annis Stukus Trophy as CFL Coach of the Year (1983, 1984). Inducted into the Winnipeg Football Club Hall of Fame in 2002 and the Canadian Football Hall of Fame in 2004, Murphy is second on the Bombers all-time coaching wins list with 86 behind only Bud Grant (102), and was an influential executive who helped Winnipeg land the rights to host the 1991 Grey Cup.

The Tom Pate Award is presented every year at the Grey Cup, chosen by a committee from the nine representatives nominated by their teams. It is awarded to the player who ‘embodies the qualities that distinguished Tom Pate; qualities that recognize a player with outstanding sportsmanship, a player who has made a contribution to his team as well as to his community and to his Association.’

Pate came to the CFL after starring with the University of Nebraska, and after shuffling through various teams, became a star with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. His life ended tragically at the age of 23 in October of 1975 after suffering an aneurysm in a game and then passing away two days later.

Congratulations to Andrew Harris.

Edited by Jacquie

Here are all the nominees for the Tom Pate Award

Montreal Alouettes                               Kyries Hebert

Ottawa REDBLACKS                           Moton Hopkins

Toronto Argonauts                                Andre Durie

Hamilton Tiger-Cats                             Larry Dean

Winnipeg Blue Bombers                     Andrew Harris

Saskatchewan Roughriders              Jeff Knox Jr.

Calgary Stampeders                              Bo Levi Mitchell

Edmonton Eskimos                                Grant Shaw

BC Lions                                                        Marco Iannuzzi

17 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Not only wins, but accidentally cold-***** Kylie's Hebert right on to Bo Levi Mitchell's lap.

While there are a few names on here that might rub Bomber fans the wrong way, I think it's a great thing to see the names of import players on this list, guys who are taking the time to better communities that they have no responsibility to consider their own.  They could just keep their heads down for 6 months, do the work and go home, but they don't.  Props to them.

3 hours ago, mbrg said:

While there are a few names on here that might rub Bomber fans the wrong way, I think it's a great thing to see the names of import players on this list, guys who are taking the time to better communities that they have no responsibility to consider their own.  They could just keep their heads down for 6 months, do the work and go home, but they don't.  Props to them.

Props to those indeed. While I admire the community aspect of the award and the nominees, it is the essence of this award that I take issue with. Outstanding sportsmanship. There is no parallel for sportsmanship and dirty play in my eyes. That alone disqualifies Mr Hebert aka dirty bird.

Tom Pate Award

"It is awarded to the player who ‘embodies the qualities that distinguished Tom Pate; qualities that recognize a player with outstanding sportsmanship, a player who has made a contribution to his team as well as to his community and to his Association.’