Giving MOS an out

IC Khari

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

ehh idk some teams do a much better job of getting better young players in early then others. That type of dave ritchie mentality very often leads to an old team that becomes long in the tooth and comes up short on the field.

agree when you have under performing vets plenty of coaches will go for a shake up move. 

I think most teams that insert younger players over vets do so by letting the vets walk in FA as opposed to a rookie beating out an incumbent in TC. Not saying it doesn't happen but I would guess it's less frequent.

28 minutes ago, Nash00 said:

I think most teams that insert younger players over vets do so by letting the vets walk in FA as opposed to a rookie beating out an incumbent in TC. Not saying it doesn't happen but I would guess it's less frequent.

Absolutely that happens, good point however in this scenario you present management, with Coach'd influence, still had the choice of signing the vet unless of course the Vet had unreasonable requests in being resigned. In other words they weren't forced to start the rookie, they still had the choice not to start the rookie.  

Edited by HardCoreBlue
oopsies

1 hour ago, Nash00 said:

I think it happens more then one might think, with a vet going to a 1game injured list under a fake injury. 

2 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

The other significant issue with rookies is the fact that the CFL season is basically twice the length of their college season. The grind of playing what amounts to a second season in the same year takes both a physical and mental toll on rookies.

Eh most teams play 12-13 games including out of conference. Its 9 games in conference. Some small teams play even more. They tend to be more active in TC with inter team scrimmages n stuff. The bigger deal i think is short weeks. Some times having 4-5 days between games vs 7 can make even a 6 game stretch feel much longer. Especially compounded with the size of the field and all the running done up here. 

If they were in the nfl, theyd have 4 pre season games and 16 regular season games. As opposed to here they get 2 preseason and 18 regular season. The quicker turn over on most series is a factor too. 

Edited by wbbfan

9 hours ago, wbbfan said:

How many rookie dbs like frederick are ready to step in and contribute at that level? It doesnt matter at all what the norm is. What matters is the talent on the roster. You have to evaluate the players you have and make decisions based on them. Not pre conceived notions.

He's a CFL rookie but he is hardly raw. He did start 3 games for the Saints before being injured in 2013.

7 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

He's a CFL rookie but he is hardly raw. He did start 3 games for the Saints before being injured in 2013.

weve had guys with more nfl starts do a lot worse in there second year here. What hes done has been nothing short of amazing.