Odds and Sods - Game 5 - Stamps at Blue Bombers

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Did he really look better thoug? He had the same problems connecting on the deep balls because our receivers can't get separation downfield, he had no help from the running game, he got hit and sacked and rushed too, you know what the big advantage Nichols had was? He got to play in 3 down football territory. Give Willy an extra down at a few points in the game maybe we have a different opinion of his game too. I will agree that Nichols came in with more confidence, but that always happens when a backup goes in midgame. We saw the team with Nichols last year, it's not different. People are just holding out hope that the easy change fixes everything. 

He did look better.

I place much more emphasis on Nichols' first drive than the one at the end of the game. He had no trouble connecting with receivers when he took over with 8 minutes left in the fourth quarter.  Those same receivers that Willy had somehow did create separation, enough that he marched the team right down into the endzone.

Neither quarterback got help from the run game, so I don't really see how that plays into a QB comparison. Both Willy and Nichols were given the same disadvantage in that respect. At least with Nichols, lack of run production was to be expected playing from behind late in the fourth quarter.

I don't think that Nichols' playing in "3 down football territory" had any effect either. On Nichols' initial drive, the Bombers never faced a third down. The plays and routes weren't even more aggressive than we were used to seeing with Willy. Nichols was just pushing the ball down field more effectively. 

Nichols' second drive, he took over with 2:24 and down 15. At that point I think it was much more obvious the disadvantage Nichols was in, and yet he was at least able to bring the team down the field before turning the ball over on downs.