NBA Pulls All-Star Game out of Charlotte

Rich

3 hours ago, Rich said:

Pulled due to North Carolina's anti-LGBT laws.  Likely moving to New Orleans.

http://www.tsn.ca/report-nba-pulls-all-star-game-out-of-charlotte-1.530490

So, what's next? Charlotte loses their NBA & NFL teams? Sports leagues should do what they do best. Play sports & leave the politics to politicians. Can you imagine if those 2 leagues blackmailed the State of North Carolina?

20 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Figured you'd have that opinion

imagine a sports league standing up for equality and fairness for its fans, employees and athletes. The whiners should get over it. They're on the wrong side of history.

Iso's not wrong tho, just because the politicians are dbags doesnt mean the fans who MAY be genuinely good people should miss out, punishing the many for the acts (or lack there of) of a few.

when i heard the story, it was said they recently went to review the bill in congress or whatever legislation they use in NC and it was barely touched/changed. Yet basketball is pretty big in NC and has a current NBA team prior to this PR move while the same laws have been in place.  

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

You're right that fans pay the price but that isn't on the NBA. It's on the state. The state made the law not the NBA. 

If the state brought in segregation laws and the league boycotted then everyone would applaud them and not worry that the racists were mad. 

The NBA has as much right as any person or business to vote with their actions. And as a fan business they are even more sensitive to not angering people. Way easier for them to say "we don't get involved in politics" and keep the show then make this decision.

This is a courageous decision. They should be applauded.   

Keep in mind all star games aren't about the local fans. They are for sponsors and bring in lots of dollars for the local economy. It's more a punishment and snubbing to the state then a negative for the fans. 

I dont disagree with the reasoning behind their actions (NBA) i just think its a little silly to say, its ok to have a team and play regular games all these years (and continue to) but because of your state laws (which has nothing to do necessarily with the city of charlotte or the hornets franchise) its now suddenly not ok because of your senators decided not to change an existing law. 

I get the concept of the all star games,  but really,  would sponsors have not got on board regardless? its a PR move and i really dont think it will change anything, especially if theres a time gap between when a bill can be reviewed again (not sure about that)

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

10 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I dont disagree with the reasoning behind their actions (NBA) i just think its a little silly to say, its ok to have a team and play regular games all these years (and continue to) but because of your state laws.

This is in response to a new law that was passed this spring, not some old law they just left on the books.  Not that it matters though.... a sh***y law is still sh**ty  no matter how old it is.

The NBA is not the 1st and won't be the last to pull out over this.

21 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Figured you'd have that opinion

imagine a sports league standing up for equality and fairness for its fans, employees and athletes. The whiners should get over it. They're on the wrong side of history.

agree. Its a good move by the nba.