How we go 16 - 2 the rest of the way ...

19 hours ago, blueandgoldguy said:

Lapo seemed to do well as the coordinator in Saskatchewan.

That's what got him hired by Mack (admittedly no genius at hiring coaches).  He asked around the CFL who were the best young minds coaching in the league and the name he heard most was Lapo. He's a respected guy by people who should know.

23 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Part of me wonders if good old passive to a fault until it's out of reach Lapo is playing too safe and making it easy for defenses to shut him down. 

This was my concern when we first announced Lapo was returning to the Blue ... I remember the way he was in the good ole' days: emphasis on the short game.

On the positive side, to me, he taught Glenn how to play QB: many short passes, quick release, play within your skill set. Glenn has been building on that ever since.

Lapo will start working with what we got. The problem is not with the Defense unless its being on the field for 40 minutes a game.

There is nothing Lapo can do though unless the OL can knock their DL on their butts.

OUR ENDURING PROBLEM is a mediocre to awful set of hogs. Make changes, whether in scheme or in personnel.

44 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

This was my concern when we first announced Lapo was returning to the Blue ... I remember the way he was in the good ole' days: emphasis on the short game.

On the positive side, to me, he taught Glenn how to play QB: many short passes, quick release, play within your skill set. Glenn has been building on that ever since.

Lapo will start working with what we got. The problem is not with the Defense unless its being on the field for 40 minutes a game.

There is nothing Lapo can do though unless the OL can knock their DL on their butts.

OUR ENDURING PROBLEM is a mediocre to awful set of hogs. Make changes, whether in scheme or in personnel.

This. I don't care if we trade half the team away at this point for an Oline. It has to start here and build from there. Put Willy behind a good Oline and watch him become a good QB again and watch Harris flourish and Lapo become a genius. 

Possible option: Thursday sit Willy and start Davis. He did show a lot of go in the preseason so why not? Maybe this is where Miller grabs MOS by the ear takes him behind the barn and reads him the riot act as it relates to dealing with ineffective quarterbacks. MOS might be a good HC but he's too stubborn for his own good. We might be looking all over the place for something that is sitting right in our own backyard.  I like Willy a lot but winning a bit more.

2 hours ago, J5V said:

This. I don't care if we trade half the team away at this point for an Oline. It has to start here and build from there. Put Willy behind a good Oline and watch him become a good QB again and watch Harris flourish and Lapo become a genius. 

I think you're drastically over stating the issue of our O line. Willy is as much a problem with the O line as the scheme and players themselves. If opposing defenses know that the qb theyre going up against is a bad reader of D and a slow decision maker they`re going to make life very difficult for that qb

2 minutes ago, White Out said:

I think you're drastically over stating the issue of our O line. Willy is as much a problem with the O line as the scheme and players themselves. If opposing defenses know that the qb theyre going up against is a bad reader of D and a slow decision maker they`re going to make life very difficult for that qb

I don't think so and I've been saying it ever since Walters got here. We've upgraded everything on this team but the Oline. Since Willy was an effective QB before he got his head kicked in it makes sense to me to protect him for Willy's sake as well as any other QB that plays here. 

50 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

Well excusing the o line on the passing game and blaming Willy is a stretch....excusing the o line on the run game is a bigger stretch. The game is one and lost in the trenches. A cliche ? No o line blocking and no d line pressure equals the current result. 

Yep!

Won't be sporting a #5 jersey. But if Bombers run an up-tempo no-huddle much of the time Mr 2+Out might do better. MOS was making noises about that. You wear down the D that way, don't give them time to substitute or recover between plays. There's no way we go 16-2 from here. But O might complete a few drives here and there by not gobbling the entire 20-sec clock between snaps. You know, score some points. That'd be a start.