Strombo Out, Return of MacLean?

Guess Rogers is figuring out that people have other things to do that watch hockey 24/7, the only thing that will save them will be a strong Leafs team that makes the playoffs, as for Healy I always found him to be a third wheel that really didn't bring much to the broadcast but he is pretty good when he is a guest on Prime Time Sports.

Healy and Damien Cox gone also apparently.  Sportsnet just got a little bit easier to watch in my opinion. I think a huge part of the problem tho is the fact that Rogers owns sportsnet and lots of people just don't like Rogers. They are pretty anti Canadian eventho they are Canadian 

Edited by Goalie

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

not an accurate statement, so that's alright...

What's really interesting is Roger's coming right out and saying "Listen, we are targeting an older demographic, because that's where our money is..." and people are SO mad about it. Keith Olbermann in the US has been irate, firing off tweet after tweet directly to Scott Moore about how they're "going back to a product that was passe in 2004".....which is just the most pretentious statement ever. 

Why is there this notion that with Strombo hosting, it's "targeting a younger demo"??? How on earth is Strombo supposed to get a younger demo? He's gotta be in his mid-40s, right? I mean, maybe 10 years younger than MacLean....he's not a kid!

How the suits thought Strombo would bring a young demographic is beyond me & a lot of Canadians. He is one guy. Hip clothing, hairstyle or new studio won't do it... He tried to look 25 & I guess SN thought he'd bring in a younger audience. Thing is, most Canadians that are Millennials already are hockey fans. So there was no need to have him there. They should have found a young sportscaster who is great in front of the camera & bring him as host. Or promote one of the panelists to host. Instead they went with a guy who knew very little about hockey.  He just never fit in.

I also think as much as the network depends on numbers from Southern Ontario they talk too much about the Leafs which pisses off fans across Canada in cities that have NHL teams & they tune out. That affects the ratings, I believe. SN needs to look at the NFL & how the networks televise games down there. Whether it's Fox,NBC, ESPN or CBS you never have them talking constantly about one team. They all cover the NFL whether it's the Giants, Niners, Panthers or Jaguars equally. That's what I'd like to see up here with the NHL. Maybe I'd watch more games if they did that.

Let's say the Jets play the Senators & after the game they spend 3 minutes talking about it & then start talking Leafs. Well eff that. So, I watch the Jets whenever they are on SN (which isn't often) & ignore other games that I don't watch because I hate Leafs all day 24/7 from SN & TSN as well.

Edited by iso_55

44 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Healy and Damien Cox gone also apparently.  Sportsnet just got a little bit easier to watch in my opinion. I think a huge part of the problem tho is the fact that Rogers owns sportsnet and lots of people just don't like Rogers. They are pretty anti Canadian eventho they are Canadian 

SN tried to kill the Argos. I'd never own a Rogers device & support that D Bag company.

Interesting note, if you read James Duthie's latest book, he all but says that he was offered the HNIC gig before Strombo but decided to say no, so they gave it to GS. Would have been a MUCH different situation with Duthie, imo... 

Edited by Noeller

On 6/27/2016 at 7:18 PM, Noeller said:

Interesting note, if you read James Duthie's latest book, he all but says that he was offered the HNIC Gog before Strombo but decided to say no, so they gave it to GS. Would have been a MUCH different situation with Duthie, imo... 

Totally agree. The guy is money. One of my favorites.

I think he's getting a little old for some of those stupid skits/videos they do, but he's at least a sports guy. He's played some high level (CIS) sports and knows hockey. Way better fit than Strombo.