Wrestling

Rich

6 hours ago, Goalie said:

Yes sounds like Meltzer may have jumped the gun a bit. 

It was reported all over. Meltzer was told by his brother that he had passed while someone else said he was brain dead but being kept on life support until Jerry arrived. 

I posted before Meltzer even commented on it as it was all over. I believe pwinsider might have broken it. 

Edited by The Unknown Poster

I don't know if Christopher could of been a bigger star... kind of small and his character was more aggravating then interesting IMO.      Regardless I'd assume his issues are similar to others where some people can't handle fading away from the spot light?

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

I don't know if Christopher could of been a bigger star... kind of small and his character was more aggravating then interesting IMO.      Regardless I'd assume his issues are similar to others where some people can't handle fading away from the spot light?

He was a huge star in Memphis when it was one of the most popular territories in the world.  He was very good in WWE as an undercard act during the attitude era.  Had he not had his drug and alcohol issues he’d have certainly extended his career in WWE so I don’t know that he’d have been higher on the card but he’s had been there longer.  He was really good. 

Hes has alcohol issues for years. I don’t think it’s the fading start scenario because he’s been pretty faded for a long time. He had a great attitude when he was in Winnipeg ten/eleven years ago. 

He was no Steve Austin for sure but definitely a case of wasted potential. 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I wonder what kind of home life he had as a kid. Jerry would have been away most of the time. 

Jerry was there a lot because he worked primarily in Memphis.  But Brian was raised by his mom. And started wrestling at 16 under a mask so his dad wouldn’t know until he was good enough. But the reason Brian was Christopher and not Lawler was partially to hide Jerry’s age and because Jerry didn’t want Brian hurting the Lawler name by being a screw up. 

I worked a show with both of them on it and they sort of interacted like co-workers rather then father/son.  Almost like Jerry kept his distance. But Brian called him dad.  

Brian had one of the young guys rib Jerry.  The show was being taped for TV and had a rumble main event but Jerry worked Gunn in the semi main which was not taped because Jerry has tv restrictions.  So as far as Jerry is concerned he was only doing the Gunn match. 

The rumble starts and Jerry gets changed into his street clothes and is relaxing when the young kid runs up and frantically says Jerry Jerry you’re next up for the rumble!  Jerry turns white as a sheet and begins tearing at his clothes to get back into his gear even though he wasn’t supposed to work to work the rumble. But kid said he’s in so he’s a total pro. 

Suddenly Brian walks up busting a gut laughing.  Jerry ended up taking the kid out for dinner as a reward for having the guts to pull the rib at Brian’s behest. 

I really enjoyed Brian’s time here. 

Edited by The Unknown Poster

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

It was reported all over. Meltzer was told by his brother that he had passed while someone else said he was brain dead but being kept on life support until Jerry arrived. 

I posted before Meltzer even commented on it as it was all over. I believe pwinsider might have broken it. 

He jumped the gun. Bottom line.. He wasn't officially dead at that point. 

http://rajah.com/node/63738

Unless he knows more than Lawlers own family. Its ok to admit the great Meltzer was wrong. 

Edited by Goalie

7 hours ago, Goalie said:

He jumped the gun. Bottom line.. He wasn't officially dead at that point. 

http://rajah.com/node/63738

Unless he knows more than Lawlers own family. Its ok to admit the great Meltzer was wrong. 

Okay. I don’t know why you do this.  It’s always fun to talk wrestling with you until you do this. 

Firstly when you quote news sites you should know you’re quoting mark sites that read the observer (and others) and then spit out Dave’s news as if it’s their own. You’d be better just going to the source. 

Secondly it was Brian’s brother that Dave spoke to. 

Thirdly it was not Dave that broke the news.  

And  finally a guy is dead. Why you need to turn that into a debate about Dave Meltzer I don’t know.  But if you do, I’m happy to have that debate all day long. 

I try not to be condescending because I really do enjoy the discussion and you’re obviously a wrestling fan. But when you’re wrong you’re wrong.  And on this subject it’s rare when I am. 

12 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Who cares if he jumped the gun does it really make any difference ?

Exactly. I mean it’s the difference between “brain dead” and “passed away”.   To split hairs just to criticize someone is pointless. 

Althoigh to be clear I stated Dave spoke to Brian’s brother. I was wrong. It was a family friend.   Story on Dave’s website and his breaking news audio all went into detail about the different reports. 

The twitter era makes people chase the scoop. 

"All In" announced today Rey Misterio is working the show.  So thats another battle of wills WWE lost although supposedly he has a two year deal on the table from them.  I expect it will be announced after All In.

Also, numerous people saying Hulk Hogan is in Miami today (the site of tonight's RAW).  Hogan lives in Clearwater so its not out of the question he'd be visiting Miami but its far enough away that he likely doesnt visit often.  If he makes his return, it fits WWE's method of keeping it quiet by having him drive in and hope not be seen (oops).  For big surprises they often fly the surprise to another nearby city and have them drive.  Hogan could drive from home.

WWE is antsy about ratings so it would make more sense to advertise Hogan if he was there but they might do it for a surprise pop.  Also sounds like a change to Seth/Ziggler's summerslam match is happening and the speculated reason is WWE doesnt feel like Summerslam has enough sizzle.  Well..Roman vs Brock isnt very hot.  Brock is advertised for tonight and Heyman has been booking everything to do with Roman/Lashley/Brock so I bet they do a big angle tonight.