Random News Items

Rich

3 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Im surprised but the judgement actually makes sense under their state laws.  But either the lottery will have to close those loop holes or everyone will want the same treatment.  Even up here, winning $30 million or whatever, I'd prefer to keep my identity a secret.  Then again, if the choice is win and be public or lose and be private, Ill take winning every time.

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Im surprised but the judgement actually makes sense under their state laws.  But either the lottery will have to close those loop holes or everyone will want the same treatment.  Even up here, winning $30 million or whatever, I'd prefer to keep my identity a secret.  Then again, if the choice is win and be public or lose and be private, Ill take winning every time.

Privacy laws have evolved so much in the last 10 - 15 years, I don’t think this is something government run lotteries can keep mandating long term.  

Especially when you see evidence that harm can and does happen to winners  

If the public trust is really at risk, you hire 3rd party auditors to make sure everything is above board and publish those results. 

The real problem lotteries have with this is that smiling faces with big cardboard cheques are better for advertising. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/4086926/person-dressed-as-spider-man-climbs-norwood-bridge-in-winnipeg/

Here’s something you don’t see every day.

Early Friday, Global News captured a person dressed as Spider-Man climbing Norwood Bridge in Winnipeg.

We can report the person safely made it off the bridge and walked away without injury.

This is really interesting.  I assume it kills the market for scalpers and if you wanted to sell your ticket you'd have to do it through an approved process via the original promoter or some other approved manner.  I dont know the law but I'd guess they cant prevent you from selling a ticket for face value but this would make it almost impossible for scalpers to sell outside of venues.

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/17/us/politics/cambridge-analytica-trump-campaign.html

Interesting read.  You should ask yourself if it is really worth being on Facebook.

It should be a wake up call to people who live an open book life on FB.  Then again, the people that do likely dont care as they have a "need" to do it.  It drives me crazy when I see people post about the food or other mundane things...or worse, when they ask a simple question on FB that would easily be answered by typing the same question into Google.  But of course, Google doesnt follow up with questions and reinforcements. 

12 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

It should be a wake up call to people who live an open book life on FB.  Then again, the people that do likely dont care as they have a "need" to do it.  It drives me crazy when I see people post about the food or other mundane things...or worse, when they ask a simple question on FB that would easily be answered by typing the same question into Google.  But of course, Google doesnt follow up with questions and reinforcements. 

Google is just as bad as Facebook in terms of building up a profile of you.   And if the data they have on you were to get out, it would be just as bad.   Think about how much you could infer about a person by looking at everything they've ever searched for.

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

Google is just as bad as Facebook in terms of building up a profile of you.   And if the data they have on you were to get out, it would be just as bad.   Think about how much you could infer about a person by looking at everything they've ever searched for.

True.  I wasnt implying it wasnt.  Just pointing out how easy people make it on fb because of their need for attention.  I saw someone tweet the other day that they began receiving ads about a product they mentioned in a verbal conversation they had, implying their phone was always listening. 

and another retail chain bites the dust

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/teen-retailer-claires-files-for-ch-11-bankruptcy-2018-03-19

now where will preteens go to get their ears pierced? (I didn't get my ears pierced there myself my aunt took me somewhere closer to her place) hell I'm still old enough to remember when they sold Hannah Montana wigs

Edited by iHeart

29 minutes ago, iHeart said:

So....did Canada ever have KB toys? I'm just asking because apparently some people are thinking that with Toys R Us going under that KB Toys would come back from the dead

https://nintendowire.com/news/2018/03/19/80s-90s-kids-rejoice-kb-toys-coming-back/

Mastermind Toys comes to mind as being in town already ready to snap up customers.