Snow Clearing

The Unknown Poster

So whats all the fuss about snow clearing?  Besides the fact it doesnt appear they have done any...  Seems a lot of people are very upset.  Are the contractors doing non-city work first and thus not immediately available?

The only real snow clearing I've seen is the plow trucks doing the major routes.

No use doing full job until it stops snowing. Fuss, what fuss?

Well Im not sure if that's true.  If it snowed for three days would you say they should wait til day 4?  I cant say with certainty because I havent been "out" much other than going to and from work.  But it does seem that they havent responded very quickly with the plows and clearing equipment.  Every parking lot I drove by or through was cleared over night.  private contract.  City contract?  Not as efficient it seems.

I know the backlash is "why does everyone have to complain" but its a fair point about the delivery of services by the city especially when we're a winter town and this isnt new and we seemingly managed a lot better before contracting out.  It says to taxpayers that the city didnt just save money, the skimped on on the service and that should be unacceptable.

We went through this a couple of years ago and unlike this week, it got very very cold and created horrendous and dangerous ruts.  My theory was they end up scraping the bottom of the barrel of the budget late in the year and try to do less.  Which doesnt work.  its not winter from Jan-March.  its winter in Nov and Dec too.  They have to plan better.

Having said all that, I have a Jeep and a tow rope.  So it doesnt really impact me... ;-)

I actually agree with TUP here. It takes way too long, they say screw the residential streets where everyone lives, that happens last... they should be out doing it the second it snows really, The fact that my front street is a gong show right now is ridiculous. Yeah i get that you have to do the major routes but... if you are having a hard time getting off your own street then it's pointless. My backlane is done tho, weird right considering most people here have garages in the front. Just makes no sense really. Oh and don't get me started on not clearing the windrows in the back either... yeah, 80 year old neighbours just love that for sure. No issue for a guy like me but... how do they expect some 70 year old to do that? It's ridiculous. They need to budget for this stuff, hell, over budget and what's left in the spring, use it elsewhere. 

We are a winter city, snow for 5 months or more here... you'd think they'd be a bit more on the ball. 

And yeah, I'm gonna say it, the people who do the streets, they do a pretty crappy job of it. 

They said this last snowfall was gonna cost the city 1 million bucks... theres the problem, these people they contract these things out 2 are getting overpaid and doing a garbage job of it. It's like the whole emterra thing all over... Awesome job they do eh? Recycling? LOL, half of it ends up on the street anyway... They really need to get their crap together, go back to what they were doing in the past cuz what they are doing now, it's not good enough. Rant over. 

What do you mean you *actually* agree with me? That should go without saying! ;)

They sent the front end loaders down my snow route steeet late last night. But no residential streets yet. Id like to know what has changed. Because in years last an army of equipment would invade a neighbourhood and it would be done. All of it.

Is there less equipment now? Do they work less hours?

I don't want to criticize the actually drivers but in many cases the former city snow plow drivers did a better job. Is it skill? Experience?

Side walks used to be done quicker too. Still not done in my area...a major sidewalk along side a snow route. So it's well used for people catching busses. And they are forced to walk on the street.

When I lived in the city, they would clear my driveway after plowing, but do a crap job of it most of the time.  They once left a huge bolder of snow on my driveway that was solid ice.  I couldn't break it up or move it.  I phoned them up and told them they need to come back and clear it as I couldn't even get my car into my garage, and we had a double garage.

In Oakbank they're fast at clearing the snow, but sometimes they do a crap job of it and they never clear your driveway.  I have a tough time getting through that pile of ice after I get home from work most of the time.  They clear it in the morning and by the time you get home it's solid as rock.  Like Goalie said, I feel bad for the older folk that have to clear that, even if they do have a snowblower it's hard.

Alot more goes into cleaning the city of snow then just a bunch of plows running around.

Even the day of the week effects how its done. Simple reason as to why they arnt out the second it snows is it takes time for the snow to build up lol what would be the sense of them driving around waiting? Plus they dont go out till atleast 5mm has fallen. 

Some lanes get done before streets because of garbage routes among other things.

Every snow fall needs a different plan as to starting and ending. Its way harder then youd think.

I'm sure that's very true but why did it seem quicker and more efficient before sub contracting. Why is that?

Cant really answer that. I dont think it was. The City is also getting bigger.

There are also things now like school zones that need to be done first.

Like i said every snow fall is different to how its done. It might seem longer but i really doubt it is. It has nothing to do with sub contracting it out.

You guys complaining about lack of snow clearing? Come live in Calgary where the city never does the residential streets. Huge ice ruts, cars getting stuck, homeowners have to clean the public sidewalk in front of their house or face fines by the City by law officers. With the wild temp swings we get the residential streets & sidewalks become skating rinks when the temp goes below freezing.The attitude of ourt city is just wait for a Chinnok, & the wind will melt the snow. In Calgary we pay property taxes & get nothing for it. 

Does the city operate any snow removal equipment, if not maybe it's time for the city to have a small fleet of graders and fronts end loaders to do the main thorough fairs and snow routes quickly and let the sub contractors do residential streets after they finish all the parking lots around the city.