Jets coach faults the 'D' for recent slump

"Indeed, the Winnipeg Jets head coach said Wednesday the biggest problem with his team right now is his slumping squad is too concerned with scoring and has forgotten about the disciplined defensive style that has underlay any success this team has ever had under Maurice."

paul.wiecek@freepress.mb.ca

I made mention of this exact thing at one point earlier in the season, that they might have to get back to playing stronger D.  Maurice has said he has given the team the go-ahead for the D to play more offensively but you can tell the idea was for last year's play to evolve into a better offensive style but they are screwing it up. 

Also caught the tail end of Beyak on 1290 this morning.  Did he say they were swapping Burmi and Petan?

I made mention of this exact thing at one point earlier in the season, that they might have to get back to playing stronger D.  Maurice has said he has given the team the go-ahead for the D to play more offensively but you can tell the idea was for last year's play to evolve into a better offensive style but they are screwing it up. 

Also caught the tail end of Beyak on 1290 this morning.  Did he say they were swapping Burmi and Petan?

I didn't hear but historically Maurice platoons Peluso or Petan depending on the size and speed of the opposition up next.

I didn't hear but historically Maurice platoons Peluso or Petan depending on the size and speed of the opposition up next.

I know that much but the tial end I heard was him saying he wanted more speed on the 3rd line "with Lowry and Stafford".

I like that 4th line! Thorburn has good wheels but they'll need more skill on the third than he has to go with Lowry and Staffs ... I don't see that experiment working (Petan to third would be my choice ;)). Of course with my predictions lately, Thorburn will turn into a 20 goal scorer on the third LOL :)

I like that 4th line! Thorburn has good wheels but they'll need more skill on the third than he has to go with Lowry and Staffs ... I don't see that experiment working.

Perhaps the idea is to give the 4th line more ice time, which this would seemingly do.  Burmi makes them more defensively sound and adds some offensive upside.  The fact they think Thorbun will helop the 3rd line offensively might have less to do with Burmi and more to do with style.  Thorburn is a more straight ahead player and might create opportunities by force.  He's probably easier to play with in that he's more predictable.

And does that move Stafford back to the LW?

Their lineup:

Ladd-Little-Wheeler

Perreault-Scheifele-Ehlers

Burmistrov-Lowry-Stafford. *** Burmistrov to 4th line...Thorburn to 3rd line

Thorburn-Cormier-Peluso *** Peluso out now, Cormier out. Burmistrov, Copp, Petan

Enstrom-Byfuglien

Myers-Trouba

Stuart-Postma