Flag Football

LeBird

Not sure I like this new football. It's going to take some time to adjust to having three teams on the field, two throwing balls and a third throwing flags.  Seems the PI's are going too far.  The receiver goes downfield, over-runs the ball, cames back for it running into the BD and the DB gets flagged.

Final scores: Sask 24, Edmonton 31, Flags 67.

Not sure I like this new football. It's going to take some time to adjust to having three teams on the field, two throwing balls and a third throwing flags.  Seems the PI's are going too far.  The receiver goes downfield, over-runs the ball, cames back for it running into the BD and the DB gets flagged.

Final scores: Sask 24, Edmonton 31, Flags 67.

I agree with what you said on this game.

This, however was the first example of how bad the new rules could be.

Everybody did it wrong this game, the O players, the D players, and the Refs.

Let's hope when the Refs review their performance they understand that there is still going to be some come of contact in some situations, such as you mentioned...balls being under-thrown. They should not all be penalties.

But this was a perfect example of how to destroy our great game of football.

I disagree. This game was an example of two teams playing undisciplined football imo. And I don't think the 10 yard illegal contact penalty will ruin the game.

No, but a penalty on every other play will absolutely ruin the game. For me, anyway.

I disagree. This game was an example of two teams playing undisciplined football imo. And I don't think the 10 yard illegal contact penalty will ruin the game.

No, but a penalty on every other play will absolutely ruin the game. For me, anyway.

But that's on the players more than the officials. When you look at the penalties that were called, there were 10 holding calls, 9 offside/procedure calls, 4 illegal blocks and 5 unnecessary roughness/face mask/roughing the passer calls. 

In this game there were 7 illegal contact and 5 forward pass interference penalties called. In the other 4 pre-season games combined there have been 9 illegal contact and 9 forward pass interference penalties called (6 of the FPI calls came in our game in Toronto).

So far in the pre-season, the Riders/Esks game has been the exception, not the norm.

I've always been of the opinion that the players need to decide the game, no matter the sport. I agree with you guys, too many flags grinds the game right down to a halt, and no one wants that.

This is going to be a different start to the season, there will be some weird penalties called, fans will flip out, and then when we score, the convert from the 32 will be very strange for sure!

I've always been of the opinion that the players need to decide the game, no matter the sport. I agree with you guys, too many flags grinds the game right down to a halt, and no one wants that.

This is going to be a different start to the season, there will be some weird penalties called, fans will flip out, and then when we score, the convert from the 32 will be very strange for sure!

OK but should breaking the rules be considered the players deciding the game? I mean it's easy to cover someone when you maul the receiver. Should that be better for the game than penalizing that illegal contact? Teams and players know what the rules are, it is entirely within their power to not break the rules and not get flagged. As long as the refs are consistent in what gets called and what doesn't get called.