CRTC to require cable, satellite companies to offer basic package, with $25 cap

FrostyWinnipeg

While I generally dislike the CRTC, Im not sure how much of a problem this really is that requires a fix.

I'd have to look it up but what is the cost of basic cable now?

I can appreciate Harper's desire for a pick & pay option but I also understand the fear that a pick & pay system could actually be more expensive for some customers.

While I generally dislike the CRTC, Im not sure how much of a problem this really is that requires a fix.

I'd have to look it up but what is the cost of basic cable now?

I can appreciate Harper's desire for a pick & pay option but I also understand the fear that a pick & pay system could actually be more expensive for some customers.

The CRTC said customers can choose to continue with their current service plan & pricing so it would only be more expensive if they want it to be.

This is a good thing except it might get used as excuse to jack up the price of some channels since they can't subsidise the crappy channels in packages anymore. I think ideally we see channels that can't generate enough viewers wither and die and I don't think that's a bad thing, but it might also mean some channels cost more than they did before because if there's one thing cable companies know how to do it's **** over their customers. 

I have been converting over to using Kodi and outside of wanting to watch live sports at decent quality ... you could almost cut cable completely in the near future and simply stick with a good internet plan.   Most episodes of any show are uploaded within a few hours and at HD quality.   

This is a good thing.

we always just play the companies off each other for their usual six month cheap deals.

TV is a rip off. Glad to just have Netflix. But if they get this cheap, I might be in.

I love the individual channel option and the smaller packages. All I really want is the networks with football games and NFL network. the rest isn't worth it.

I have been converting over to using Kodi and outside of wanting to watch live sports at decent quality ... you could almost cut cable completely in the near future and simply stick with a good internet plan. Most episodes of any show are uploaded within a few hours and at HD quality.

The quality of live sports is my biggest issue with kodi. Everything else about it is fantastic. Any show, including Netflix exclusives, and any movie you could want.

I have been converting over to using Kodi and outside of wanting to watch live sports at decent quality ... you could almost cut cable completely in the near future and simply stick with a good internet plan. Most episodes of any show are uploaded within a few hours and at HD quality.

The quality of live sports is my biggest issue with kodi. Everything else about it is fantastic. Any show, including Netflix exclusives, and any movie you could want.

The phoenix app had a great ufc channel that unfortunately just closed down..I saw a few UFC's streaming at 720p Live.

I think they still have a good NHL channel that definitely has the games online an hour after they air...

Wiziwig the biggest sports streaming site was officially shut down on Jan. 1 2015 by the mufti-national powers who wish to control the Internet.  Thus eliminating the best option for live streaming CFL games over the Net.  I have no use for television but if TSN is included in the "skinny" package I might have to sign up for the duration of the football season.

Yeah, I found some good HD feeds last night on one of the Phoenix channels.  Watched the UFC prelims and the quality was flawless.  I took a peek at the TSN feeds too  and they were great.  If they can stay up, it'll mean cutting the cord and bumping up the internet package.

Starting March 30th Telus will begin to charge for over-usage of their "unlimited Internet" customers who download more than their plan quota of data which can range anywhere from 30-500 GB/mth. depending on the plan a customer is signed up for.  No idea how much data is involved in streaming a single CFL game but it makes me quite nervous and I expect the other national ISP's will follow their lead in screwing Canadians over once a new A-hole has been probed and established.

Yeah, I found some good HD feeds last night on one of the Phoenix channels.  Watched the UFC prelims and the quality was flawless.  I took a peek at the TSN feeds too  and they were great.  If they can stay up, it'll mean cutting the cord and bumping up the internet package.

I noticed on a few of the Phoenix channels they had the TSN streaming in 720p...   

I also just downloaded an add on called Vdubt25 and it has the TSN at 720p  and several american streams at 1080p!  

I guess the big test is whenever the next UFC ppv is on....  

Starting March 30th Telus will begin to charge for over-usage of their "unlimited Internet" customers who download more than their plan quota of data which can range anywhere from 30-500 GB/mth. depending on the plan a customer is signed up for.  No idea how much data is involved in streaming a single CFL game but it makes me quite nervous and I expect the other national ISP's will follow their lead in screwing Canadians over once a new A-hole has been probed and established.

They missed their opportunity to charge for excessive internet use (well, they can charge for excessive but I guess I mean deeming regular high usage as excessive).  Cant put the genie back in the bottle.  There are telecoms actively looking to make "internet everywhere" a reality.  Over the Top is the future.  Look at traditional channels like HBO now offering their on-demand content separate from a channel subscription. 

Read the book Netflixed.  Amazing story.  A lot of people didnt believe in it.  Everything will be delivered by internet eventually.