D i c k Thornton Passes Away

iso_55

Sad news that former Blue Bomber & Argos defensive back D i c k Thornton passed away yesterday at the age of 75 from lung cancer. He played on the Bud Grant teams that won Grey Cups in 1961 & 62. Also played in the 65 Grey Cup for the Bombers as well as the 1971 Grey Cup with the Argos. He was a stud in the defensive backfield & a real character in his day. Very outspoken & at times, outlandish. I remember him very well.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1737787/cfl-loses-one-of-its-most-colourful-characters-as-****-thornton-passes-away/

He was a qb/db in college. I read that he honestly thought that when he played for the Bombers he was the best qb on the roster. He might have been but Ken Ploen was the Guy in Winnipeg & nothing was going to change that. It was alleged that he paid people in the stands at Winnipeg Stadium to hold up signs with "We want Thornton. We want Thornton" when it came time in games to switch qbs. That being said, he was a popular guy in the Blue Bomber locker room & his teammates knew & accepted him as a real offbeat character.

Now if I got my recollections right, he was number 13 for the Bombers. At the time 411 Cumberland was suppose to be an upscale apartment block. He lived there and only took an apartment if he could reside in suite number 1313.

He wore 14 for the Bombers. Here's what he said in the article linked above:

"I was often misunderstood, but did nothing more than market and merchandise myself,” he said. “I ranted and raved about not playing quarterback, had my own fan club, gave all my girlfriends gold No. 14 pendants, even changed my jersey number from 14 to 28 for a couple of games…called a press conference to explain  why…and the answer was I had to play twice as good during that stretch."

He also said, when traded to the Argos by Bud Grant that the best thing about Winnipeg were the roads leading out of it. He needed a change of scenery as I think his relationship with Grant was deteriorating. I can only imagine that he wasn't very amused with his attitude a lot of the time. But that was Thornton, a free spirit. 

He also said, when traded to the Argos by Bud Grant that the best thing about Winnipeg were the roads leading out of it. He needed a change of scenery as I think his relationship with Grant was deteriorating. I can only imagine that he wasn't very amused with his attitude a lot of the time. But that was Thornton, a free spirit. 

Your memory is failing you Iso. Thornton was traded to the Argos in 1967. Bud Grant had taken over the Vikings and Zaleski was the Bomber head coach.

Your memory is failing you Iso. Thornton was traded to the Argos in 1967. Bud Grant had taken over the Vikings and Zaleski was the Bomber head coach.

Okay, loooong time ago.I couldn't remember if it was Grant or Zaleski who got rid of him. However, Thornton did say that. 

Now if I got my recollections right, he was number 13 for the Bombers. At the time 411 Cumberland was suppose to be an upscale apartment block. He lived there and only took an apartment if he could reside in suite number 1313.

He wore 14 for the Bombers. Here's what he said in the article linked above:

"I was often misunderstood, but did nothing more than market and merchandise myself,” he said. “I ranted and raved about not playing quarterback, had my own fan club, gave all my girlfriends gold No. 14 pendants, even changed my jersey number from 14 to 28 for a couple of games…called a press conference to explain  why…and the answer was I had to play twice as good during that stretch."

Thanks Jacquie. My recollection is NOT what it use to be. And 1414 at 411 makes way more sense, after you confirm the proper number.