Heenan & Holmes won't re-sign before free agency

gbill2004

I don't think we are as far under the cap as most folks think we are. We've had 5-10 players on the 1 game IR all year long as a taxi squad getting full pay.

and dumping Swiston was supposidly a cap move.

That doesn't mean much though. Cap move could mean wanting even more room to go after FAs vs. needing to dump him to stay under the cap.

Freeing up cap room in season isn't needed to go after FA's in the off season.  The SMS doesn't really exist in the off season so you can always cut players after you sign FA's if you need to.

I don't think we are as far under the cap as most folks think we are. We've had 5-10 players on the 1 game IR all year long as a taxi squad getting full pay.

That doesn't mean much though. Cap move could mean wanting even more room to go after FAs vs. needing to dump him to stay under the cap.

Freeing up cap room in season isn't needed to go after FA's in the off season.  The SMS doesn't really exist in the off season so you can always cut players after you sign FA's if you need to.

True for other teams' FAs. I meant it allows for extra cash to re-sign our owns guy prior to the end of 2014.

also u have to add in that i think we are the only team in the league that has full breakfast and lunch served to the players, ie hot food, not cereal and hotdogs what obby was saying that cal did

all the little things do help, but winning would help alot more

We should have room especially as the new salary cap will be in play next season.

The SMS cap jumped this year to $5M. It goes up $50,000 next season.

You sure? I thought it was fully official next season as all teams had their budgets set as the new collective agreement was ratified by both sides after the season started.

From the CFL website:

Increases the current salary cap per team from $4.4 million to $5 million this year and an additional $50,000 a year in subsequent years to a total of $5.2 million in 2018.

http://m.cfl.ca/article/new-five-year-cba-ratified-by-cfl-and-cflpa

How could be it be a salary dump? Wouldn't he be paid for the rest of the season.

We should have room especially as the new salary cap will be in play next season.

The SMS cap jumped this year to $5M. It goes up $50,000 next season.
You sure? I thought it was fully official next season as all teams had their budgets set as the new collective agreement was ratified by both sides after the season started.

From the CFL website:

Increases the current salary cap per team from $4.4 million to $5 million this year and an additional $50,000 a year in subsequent years to a total of $5.2 million in 2018.

http://m.cfl.ca/article/new-five-year-cba-ratified-by-cfl-and-cflpa

Thanks for that. I'd say then that we have a lot of cap room to work with as I'd be hard pressed to believe we're anywhere close to the cap with the players we have.