Jets Chat

FrostyWinnipeg

Good game by the Jets.

Just the start that Pavs needed.  And Hutch was solid too.

If Lowry keeps playing that way, he will make the team.  Im thinking Petan is sent back to junior (which is ridiculous, they really need to allow special players to play in the AHL early).  Ehlers likely back to juinior but maybe an outside shot if he stands out a bit more.  I'd think the Jets would keep him for 9 games.

As much as I really hoped Morrissey would make the team, the Jets seem okay on D and I'd think he'd get 9 games too but will have to be outstanding to not be sent back to junior.  Nice to see our prospects developing though.  With Petan, Lowry, Ehlers, Morrissey, Kitchen, Chariot etc, the future looks bright.

I never thought we'd get there so fast but it really sucks the way the rules are designed. Our junior players are too young to play in the AHL and too dominant to play junior. They need a solution.

Perhaps special exemption status, like they do for underagers in the CHL.

I don't think there's any argument to be made against the opinion that Petan and Morrissey would both be best served played on the Rock.

The argument is for the time, scouting, and development that the junior teams invest into these players.

Not saying its right.  It should really be what is best for the players.  But I can understand why the junior teams, after investing in them, want the payoff of what they bring to their teams in terms of success, marketing, attendance, ticket sales etc.

They don't pay them more than room & board, so I don't feel sorry for the CHL if they don't have the chance the make money off them for two extra years.

At minimum, I'd like to see the 2nd year after they're drafted removed from the CHL's control.

Most jr. teams operate on shoestring budgets so having those star players to market around certainly is something worthwhile. To be perfectly honest I think the biggest change isn't with kids being more ready for the NHL at younger ages than they used to be so much as young players are cheaper options in a cap world than a veteran. Used to be that you never even thought of bringing young players up unless they were truly exceptional talents but now with veterans being more expensive younger players are an option to save cap space. 

They don't pay them more than room & board, so I don't feel sorry for the CHL if they don't have the chance the make money off them for two extra years.

At minimum, I'd like to see the 2nd year after they're drafted removed from the CHL's control.

Most jr. teams operate on shoestring budgets so having those star players to market around certainly is something worthwhile. To be perfectly honest I think the biggest change isn't with kids being more ready for the NHL at younger ages than they used to be so much as young players are cheaper options in a cap world than a veteran. Used to be that you never even thought of bringing young players up unless they were truly exceptional talents but now with veterans being more expensive younger players are an option to save cap space. 

It is also a balancing act for those younger players.  you don't want to bring them up too early.  If you are paying for their development in the NHL, and they aren't getting regular minutes or are not regularly in your lineup then you are waisting those  cheap years.   It really depends on where a team is in their development cycle.

The argument is for the time, scouting, and development that the junior teams invest into these players.

Not saying its right.  It should really be what is best for the players.  But I can understand why the junior teams, after investing in them, want the payoff of what they bring to their teams in terms of success, marketing, attendance, ticket sales etc.

Something something something...bite the hand that feeds you...

Big picture it's not worth it to undermine the NHL's best development program just to get a few guys into the AHL a year or two sooner.

Some sort of exceptional player exception would be nice.

For example, if the Jets were considering Petan, Morrissey and Ehlers for "pro" this year, perhaps allowing them to declare ONE player an "exception" and keeping him pro in the NHL or AHL and having to send the other two back. In addition, make the NHL team pay a reasonable sum to the CHL team. Make all exceptions pending league approval.

Really liked what Lowry brought last night, Think he's a good bet to make the team this after one pre-season game lol. Pav and Hutch both looked very good, Pav looked slimmer, less rebounds, not much star power on that Wild team though last night. Missing all the big guys really.. We were missing a few of ours too tho. Overall good game, Think Ehlers goes back to Junior, no doubt about it, however when he has the puck on his stick and has space, it's a thing of beauty to watch that guy skate like that. Petan? Man, love that guy for some reason, it's not the height thing, I'm 6'4 lol... but something about his game I like, big shoes yes but he could be our Marty St Louis

Honestly... 

Ladd,Little,Buff

Kane,Scheif,Wheeler

Petan,Perreault, Frolik

Lowry, Slater, Galliardi? Thorbs can stick around as the 13th forward  for qualities he brings that got him paid that much this off-season.

Not sure about the D, Morrissey looks ready out there, makes nice passes, smart player, good vision, can't get much better in the WHL really, is well above that level right now.. but is he everyday d man? Is clitsome legit healthy and how many games will he give you until probably gets hurt again. Morrissey has a very high ceiling, a ceiling i don't think can be reached playing junior, just like with Petan, He is too skillfull to play in the WHL.. is he ready for the NHL? Morrissey and Petan are both very talented players that IMO should be on the team, Only because i don't see what sending them back down to Junior really accomplishes. It is too bad about that dumb rule for sure, Cuz those are 2 guys that would benefit greatly from it. Too good for the WHL, maybe not quite but almost ready for the Bigs. Belong in the AHL for a few games/a season first probably though. 

We have a glut of bottom six guys and a few extra D as well.  Personally, I'd rather see us keep Lowry and Petan then go with "veterans" that arent going to rise above low 3rd line.  They might look at Petan as a money issue though.  If he cant play a regular shift all season, why trigger his pro contract.  But even if he cycles in and out of the line up, he probably benefits more than dominating another junior season.  I can see the argument the other way though.  Lowry seems to be a no brainer at this point.

Same can be said of Morrissey.  Even if he stumbles during the season and needs to sit in the presser for a few games, isnt that better than going back to junior?  He probably stand to learn more with the Jets and so far looks the part. 

We have a glut of bottom six guys and a few extra D as well.  Personally, I'd rather see us keep Lowry and Petan then go with "veterans" that arent going to rise above low 3rd line.  They might look at Petan as a money issue though.  If he cant play a regular shift all season, why trigger his pro contract.  But even if he cycles in and out of the line up, he probably benefits more than dominating another junior season.  I can see the argument the other way though.  Lowry seems to be a no brainer at this point.

Same can be said of Morrissey.  Even if he stumbles during the season and needs to sit in the presser for a few games, isnt that better than going back to junior?  He probably stand to learn more with the Jets and so far looks the part. 

They could give these guys their 9 games thing or whatever it is and if they look like they belong, keep him. If not, send him back. I'd rather guy with guys like Lowry and Petan who could rise above the third line, even contribute on the power play in Petans case over career bottom 6 players for sure.