Argos sign WR LaVon Brazill

gbill2004

I thought the CFL was honoring NFL suspensions?

Suspended free agent WR LaVon Brazill has signed with the CFL's Toronto Argonauts.

After repeated violations of the league's substance abuse policy, Brazill was suspended for at least all of the 2014 season. The former Colt will stay involved with football and probably hope to catch on with an NFL team in 2015.

Suspended free agent WR LaVon Brazill has signed with the CFL's Toronto Argonauts.

After repeated violations of the league's substance abuse policy, Brazill was suspended for at least all of the 2014 season. The former Colt will stay involved with football and probably hope to catch on with an NFL team in 2015.

They were. That rule was implemented after Ricky Williams signed with the Argos. Didn't hear of any changes to it.

They were. That rule was implemented after Ricky Williams signed with the Argos. Didn't hear of any changes to it.

@caplannfl: Former #Colts WR Lavon Brazill signed with the Toronto Argonauts of the CFL.

@caplannfl: Former #Colts WR Lavon Brazill signed with the Toronto Argonauts of the CFL.

I edited my original post after seeing the Argos had tweeted the signing. Maybe they are able to sign him because he was waived through the NFL?

I edited my original post after seeing the Argos had tweeted the signing. Maybe they are able to sign him because he was waived through the NFL?

This seems to be the most likely explanation.

But he is still suspended. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Because he isn't under contract the whole "suspension" agreement likely doesn't apply.  We don't know the letter of the law so this must be the case.

Or is it because the rules don't apply to teams owned by David Braley?

But he is still suspended. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Because he isn't under contract the whole "suspension" agreement likely doesn't apply.  We don't know the letter of the law so this must be the case.

Or is it because the rules don't apply to teams owned by David Braley?

Doubt it.  People can't make it up as they go along so it must be only players currently under contract.

So the rule on suspended NFL players is pretty useless as it only applies to guys like Ricky Williams, maybe Josh Gordon this year, who are suspended and not released by their teams....interesting.

How can you really apply it to a guy without a contract though?

Player X has no contract, therefore is unable to serve suspension. If he is unable to serve his suspension, why should the CFL be expected to honor it?

It's a catch 22 until the NFL says that the suspension clock is still ticking if you're not under contract, which it totally should.

So the rule on suspended NFL players is pretty useless as it only applies to guys like Ricky Williams, maybe Josh Gordon this year, who are suspended and not released by their teams....interesting.

Player X has no contract, therefore is unable to serve suspension. If he is unable to serve his suspension, why should the CFL be expected to honor it?

It's a catch 22 until the NFL says that the suspension clock is still ticking if you're not under contract, which it totally should.

So if Brazill ever wants to play in the NFL again a team would have to sign him for year in which he couldn't play first?  That is ridiculous.

Both leagues need me to rewrite their suspension rules.

So if Brazill ever wants to play in the NFL again a team would have to sign him for year in which he couldn't play first?  That is ridiculous.

Both leagues need me to rewrite their suspension rules.

The caveat is that all these suspensions are subject to review, so technically the NFL could lift the ban after a year even if he wasn't under contract, but I don't believe they're legally obligated to.

Of course the argoblows do, fits nicely with their MO. Looks good on them. 

Simply honour the suspension. If you are suspended a full season by the NFL, when you sign with the CFL you have to sit out the same amount of time or number of games. Most likely the suspended players wouldn't even sign in the CFL in that case unless they actually wish to play in the CFL and aren't just looking to run down the clock on their NFL suspension.

What makes the CFL a 'joke'  from that aspect for me is when a guy like Inman, Armstead, Ball, (insert Argos player here) gets cut with a valid contract to go to the NFL.

I don't have any issues with a guy not under contract going to the CFL, suspension or not.

Any if those players that were under contract in the CFL had to clear waivers prior to being released to go to the NFL. CFL teams could have claimed them prior to clearing waivers and therefore prohibit their going immediately to the NFL. If a player is suspended and a team subsequently releases him he is a free agent and not under contract. It is at the team's discretion if they choose to retain a suspended player or release him. A player on a CFL suspended player remains suspended until Feb 15th when the is removed from the suspended list and becomes a free agent.