Jets Radio PBP switch-up on 1290

TBieber

Edmonds is way better on the Big Show than Richardson was but I didnt mind him as much as some people.  Edmonds come across as a legit broadcast guy, very mature & professional and keep the show on point.  When it was Jay, Matt and Troy, it was more akin to listening in a bunch of guys talking sports in their basement over a few beers.

One thing I really like is that 1290 is developing people.  Edmonds goes from Goldeyes announcer to regular Big Show host to Jets PBP guy in the span of, what 8 months?  Good for him.  Too bad for Munz but at least he has a regular gig still and it could be a good one.  Could be worse for him.  Whatshisname over on CJOB got hired to be the voice of the Jets and then they Jets went with 1290.  Doh!

• 2 weeks later...

I think the natural hire for 1290 is Kelly Moore from CJOB. Moore is basically lingering in a hockey netherworld at CJOB, participating in their usual pre-game shows and working the limited sports minute OB does in the mornings and at noon. He's also the backup for Jim Toth for their evening sports show.

He was supposed to be the Jets radio broadcaster until CJOB had the rug pulled out from under them (he came back from part-ownership of a radio station in BC) and then Munz slid over to 1290.

My own feeling is that Moore is kinda being wasted at CJOB. Yeah, he could wait 5 or 6 years til Old Irving gives out as lead bomber guy but that gig is only 18 games, NHL is 82 plus exhibitions and playoffs.

That's the natural evolution. Moore goes to TSN to replace Paul E. on the morning Big Show and serves as Edmonds' backup on the radio (they're clearly not happy with Munz)

ck

Exactly what I said above Nate.  I agree.  But I would assume Moore has a contract.  Though if that was contract was based on being the Jets PBP until True North went with TSN, then CJOB might be happy to rid themselves of the contract.  Wouldnt it make sense for Munz to slide into the Big Show role?

It would except Munz is actually worse as a sports talk show host than he is a play by play man. Always seems rather disconnected from the audience and somewhat disconnected from his color man. Not Rod Black bad but pretty darn close.

Munz took his demotion at TSN well cuz the alternative was being unemployed and possibly going back to junior hockey pbp.

It was announced Friday that Matt Leibl moves into Edmonds chair for the foreseeable future, Westwood remains as the primary go-to guy and 21 yr old Brandon Rewicki gets his big break as the 3rd man in. Don't like this as Leibl tends to hate on other people's opinions way too much and is loathe to put over other 1290 personalities. He's smart and pretty glib but never likes to put himself in a bad spot or take good-hearted humiliation.

I suspect 1290 may have considered Kelly Moore (he would also be a great back up for Edmonds on radio and Beyak on TV) but Rewuki prolly comes substantially cheaper! Don't think TSN cares all that much about their morning show as its in tough with CBC's morning news, CJOB's Cloutier/Kennedy combo and one of the rock stations (for those who don't wanna hear bad news every morning) ....1290's real broadcast day begins at 11am with Ricky Ralph and their feature show is Hussler/Lawless from 4 to 6. Of course, during the hockey season most radios will be tuned to the hockey games after 6 pm. They also did well this year replacing Goldeye radio with Bluejays despite the Jays going into the tank~

I wouldn't say unlistenable. I still listen. But if matt doesn't study tapes of himself he should. He cuts off others too much and tries to control the discussion. I also thought it was irresponsible how much he kept pushing the idea of a Crosby cover up while continually stating he went to journalism school.

I like him but in small doses.

I think TSN will hold the fort with Leibl, Westy and Rewucki cuz two of them are cheap and Troy is one of their so-called big-time hires (others being Shane Hnidy and Walby). They also got good mileage out of the TSN guys across the country who are able to kick into their shows with short notice. Now, I don't think Elliotte Friedman will be appearing much (if any) on 1290 due to his contract with Sportsnet/HNIC

They might be in trouble this year with Sportsnet getting the bulk of NHL hockey and hiring a few go-to guys that TSN liked to control while CJOB had to go to Sportsnet mopes. Not anymore. The situation is reversed. Rick Ralph will still go to some of his connections in print media plus his old swimming buddy Bill Watters.

TSN had a nice coup this a.m. as they got Joe Montana on the Big Show. Not that good a segment cuz the guys were mostly in awe about having Joe on the air. But it worked out OK.

Liebl works best as the third wheel who occasionally pipes in on the show.  He plays the "young gun" role quite well.  Not a fan of him as the show's main host.

Also not a fan of Rewucki.  He doesn't have a great radio voice.  Just doesn't come across as polished.  

only thing worse than Leibl is Leibl subbing for Hussler when Huss is under the weather. Or anytime they have to sub Remis in for anyone. Remis is awful - knowledgeable sports fan but awful as an on-air personality....

Leibl, Westwood, Rewucki are the 3 weakest voices at 1290. I give Troy passing grades cuz his content is solid and you can never question his heart. He's actually improved his presentation since first signing on - about the only other ex-graduate of the Vienna Boys Choir, other than Chris Cuthbert....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...