Hello from a Buffalo Fan turning into a Winnipeg Fan...

http://www.ubbullrun.com/2014/6/15/5811462/cfl-preseason-winnipeg-loses-to-calgary

I was happy to see some of the other threads here pointing out that despite the 0-2 record there is hope this season. I really enjoyed watching the CFL games, first ones I have watched beginning to end... I have seen a lot of drew willy football over the years and while his arm strength has improved a bit he is still the same QB who threw for UB.

What I loved about him at UB was how fast he got through his reads, his solid decision making, and the touch he could put on a pass. It's why he was a first year starter at UB and the only Buffalo QB to win his division (twice) and the conference (once).

In the first game his touch was there but he was not getting through the reads too quickly. In the second his reads of coverage were far better but he still seemed to struggle picking up some of the pass rush packages that were thrown at him. At least twice he should have went right to a check down receiver when the pressure came.

The drops also hurt the numbers but you guys have a pretty intelligent fan base so I have seen that commented on. It's not going to kill the perception of Willy but anything that makes the offense look less effective ends up in the Quarterbacks lap.

My question is your o-line.

Glad you signed up here.

Our OL is a big question mark. There is promise with it in that we have a highly touted prospect (Goossen) being groomed and the acquisition of Patrick Neufeld seems to be the solution for now at RT but our interior has struggled.

It'll be up and down to start the year, but Bob Wylie will definitely lead them to a marked improvement as the year goes on.

Glad you signed up here.

Our OL is a big question mark. There is promise with it in that we have a highly touted prospect (Goossen) being groomed and the acquisition of Patrick Neufeld seems to be the solution for now at RT but our interior has struggled.

It'll be up and down to start the year, but Bob Wylie will definitely lead them to a marked improvement as the year goes on.

I noticed that SSK lost Durant and Willy... Is that normal for so much turnover on a Grey Cup team?

Glad you signed up here.

I noticed that SSK lost Durant and Willy... Is that normal for so much turnover on a Grey Cup team?

Durant is still on the team. They lost Kory Sheets and Weston Dressler.

Glad you signed up here.

Durant is still on the team. They lost Kory Sheets and Weston Dressler.

Ohh I mesread another teams roster...

Glad you signed up here.

It was an unusual offseason for all teams - there was an expansion draft for Ottawa, so teams managed their rosters quite differently this year.  Some traded away players they thought Ottawa might take, others held off on re-signing potential free agents in the hopes that Ottawa would not touch guys who they couldn't guarantee showing up for camp.  Also, Collaros becoming a free agent in the same offseason as a team was added had a domino effect at that position, with eventually a total of 4 QBs starting this year on teams they were not on last year (if you count Glenn), almost half the league.  Some of that would have happened anyway, but there was definitely more activity this year because of Ottawa, and not just the 24 players they took from other rosters.

Willy had the good fortune to be backup to a very good quarterback in Sask with lots of opportunity to learn from a quarterback who an both pass and scramble. Being part of a championship team doesn't hurt, either. He seems to have a high ceiling plus smarts.

Welcome!   The oline concerns us all but we're making small strides  in that direction.   As I'm sure you're aware that we must start at least two - three Cdn's on the line and that's been our weakness over the years.  But it's improving and while we wont have a great oline this year.  It will get better under coach Wylie and I just hope we can create offensive game plans to assist with the extra pressure.   

Welcome UB! Are you in Buffalo or are you in Winnipeg?  

Minnesota... The American Version of Manitoba ;)

I might try to sneak up for a game this year if I can get the wife to give me a weekend to make the drive up and back..

Quite familiar with Minnesota  I have a lot of friends in Hibbing, Duluth, Twin Harbours, Chisholm etc. etc.  All the curling towns :)  Hope you can make it up here!

Willy had the good fortune to be backup to a very good quarterback in Sask with lots of opportunity to learn from a quarterback who an both pass and scramble. Being part of a championship team doesn't hurt, either. He seems to have a high ceiling plus smarts.

Keep in mind he was also Payton Mannings backup at one time ;)