Bud Grant statue unveiling in October

Jpan85

To be honest, I don't hope it's the first of many. Less is better, it is more of an honor that way.

That's my opinion anyway.

I could be wrong but I thought he meant the first of many statues honouring Bomber players, not just Bud Grant. Of course, I could be misunderstanding your comment. 

To be honest, I don't hope it's the first of many. Less is better, it is more of an honor that way.

I could be wrong but I thought he meant the first of many statues honouring Bomber players, not just Bud Grant. Of course, I could be misunderstanding your comment.

Yeah I meant I don't want a whole whack of statues honouring a bunch of players. Keeping the elite group small is the way to go in my opinion. It prevents the watering down of a great honour.

I doubt there will be many since it isn't exactly cheap to cast a bronze statue from what I understand.

I think the thing that has surprised me most is Gordon Sinclair hasn't tried to take credit for this yet but then he hasn't had a new column published since the announcement.

We should make a list!! Who we think deserves a statue. Be interesting to see the names we come up with. Ken Ploen should have a statue but he has an entrance named after him as does Stegal & Poplawski.

I think we have to honour some of the guys who came before Grant & Ploen that are forgotten but played a huge part in the history of the Blue Bombers. The first player that deserves a statue is Fritz Hansen. He played a huge part in the Bombers winning the 1935 Grey Cup & I believe was the first American the Bombers ever signed. Another is quarterback Jack Jacobs. He never won a Grey Cup although he played in 2. But he was such a prolific passer & exciting player in an era where 2,000 yards passing was considered an amazing season. Canad Inns Stadium was nicknamed "The House That Jack Built" because he used to pack them in at Osborne Stadium so much so that it became apparent that a new facility was needed back in 1951-2. So, I'd start with those 2. 

I think Cal Murphy deserves a statue for his work as Blue Bomber Head Coach & later General Manager. And for his heroic fight back from his death bed when he suffered a heart attack & then had a heart transplant. All the while doing all he could directing things as best he could from his hospital bed in London, Ontario during the 1993 Grey Cup. The Bombers won 3 Grey Cups in his time with the Bombers. 

Yeah I meant I don't want a whole whack of statues honouring a bunch of players. Keeping the elite group small is the way to go in my opinion. It prevents the watering down of a great honour.

I didn't mean "many" as they should make a hundred of them. I think realistically 4-6 is probably the number. Who else can you think of Ploen, Lewis, Battle, Brock, Stegall??

Not too sure about Battle. I'd lean towards a no for him.

Statues are expensive, and I'm not sure how many more these private sponsors would be willing to pay for. I suggested a ring of honour inside the stadium on another thread. Won't cost much for that.

Bomber_fanaddict, that is why it is great to have a conversation about the team & who  should be honoured. The team goes back 79 years. There were some great players who have been absolutely forgotten which is sad. That is the fault of both the Blue Bombers & the CFL for not doing enough to honour the legacy  of player who came before. For years, the Bombers didn't want to do any  kind of remembrance for anyone because either they didn't care, were ashamed of the present or it was a link to a better time when they actually won something. 

Not too sure about Battle. I'd lean towards a no for him.

Statues are expensive, and I'm not sure how many more these private sponsors would be willing to pay for. I suggested a ring of honour inside the stadium on another thread. Won't cost much for that.

Stamps have done a ring of honour now for 20 years & it is a great idea. I'd be all for that!