boxing day home theatre

Fraser

Nowadays. you really can't go wrong with home theatre systems.

I've had both Pioneer and Sony and am very satisfied with each one.

I would just stick to name brands if I were you.

Or you could check sites like CNet or Consumer Reports etc. for guidance.

Enjoy.

Depends what you're looking for. You want led, plasma or LCD? I prefer led myself. And do you want a smart TV or does that matter to you. I personally think smart tv's are pointless. I'd much rather get a basic led tv with something like a western digital TV live media player and then hook up a nice sony or pioneer surround sound to it.

I just bought a 58" toshiba led tv from Costco for just under 800 on Black Friday. Was for the family room so I wasn't looking for anything high end. But it's surprisingly a really nice tv. I had a 46" Sony before it which had a really nice picture but that room we sit so far away so we needed something bigger.

Digital Home is a fantastic (and Canadian) forum for everything electronic.  They have a forum about Home Theatre and the people there are incredible knowledgable.  They will tell you if you want the best system to build one (ie. not by a Home Theatre in a box, which means the receiver, speakers etc all come together).  However, I bought a 7.1 Surround Sound system in a box from Visions a few years ago. Onkyo Brand.  Very good in my opinion.  Those rare times that I turn on the TV sound instead of surround sound makes me really appreciate having it.  If you spend money on a good TV but dont have a sound system, it's just not doing justice.

What did you end up getting?

I bought this http://www.visions.ca/Catalogue/Category/Details.aspx?categoryId=368&productId=22170&sku=YHT3654

I'm pretty happy with it. Not sure if my neighbors are though. I was looking for something without tower speakers cause I don't want my place to look too much like a man cave. The fact that it's an actual receiver and not a blueray player pretenting to be one is nice. I Just wish it had Bluetooth.

CNN (I think) had a recent article about technologies that would soon disappear and Blu Ray was one of them.  Im not sure I buy that.  The reasoning was, movies will all be streamed.  Personally, I like owning movies and all the extras that come with them.  If you're into movies, there is a certain pride that comes with the collection.

On another note, Best Buy had a 4k display going and it was amazing.  I would have bought one on the spot but I want size, price and available content to all come together before I do.  But what a fabulous image.

CNN (I think) had a recent article about technologies that would soon disappear and Blu Ray was one of them.  Im not sure I buy that.  The reasoning was, movies will all be streamed.  Personally, I like owning movies and all the extras that come with them.  If you're into movies, there is a certain pride that comes with the collection.

On another note, Best Buy had a 4k display going and it was amazing.  I would have bought one on the spot but I want size, price and available content to all come together before I do.  But what a fabulous image.

I'll admit it is getting easier and easier to watch streaming or downloaded content on your televisions, but can't see Blu-rays disappearing anytime soon. They were probably saying the same thing about CDs 5 years ago.  

I actually just bought a 50 inch samsung. had to get a Samsung so it'd hook up with my phone. what I really just need is the surround sound

That's too bad. If you would have waited a couple of weeks you could have gotten one of Samsung's new 110" TVs. I bet you're sorry now.  ;)