Should a player be obligated to play for the team that drafts them, or should they have a choice on who they play for?

HardCoreBlue

I lifted this this question from the Green Zone (I know, gross). I thought it would be interesting to read what people think here i.e., the rationalization behind one's answer.

Personally I say yes, because if not, it would obviously (at least to me) widen the gap between the 'have's' and the 'have nots'.

Unless of course you're drafted by the Riders or the Maple Leafs, then my answer changes. 

If a player were to have the choice for what team he should play, it essentially eliminates the purpose of a draft, IMO.

And as mentioned above, it's a privilege to play in the top sports leagues in the world. As such, there are rules to follow and rules related to the draft are there for a reason.

I think players should play for the teams that draft them. How long though? 

MLB - 6 years of full playing before someone becomes eligible for free agency. First three years, players are not eligible for arbitration, so get league minimum.

NHL - 7 years of service or aged 27. 

NBA - It's complicated.

NFL - Four years before becoming an FA.

I thin think MLB and NHL have it too long. NFL seems about right at 4 years, IMO. 

1 minute ago, JCon said:

I thin think MLB and NHL have it too long. NFL seems about right at 4 years, IMO. 

Agreed. 

We aren't talking about entire careers being spent with one team.  Go in, make your money, do your time and then choose where you want to go... or not.  Players might find after a few years that they actually like where they are and are content to stay. 

If you are really that unhappy prior to becoming a UFA, have your agent try to work out a trade that works for you and the your team.  Barring that, suck it up & you can use all that cash you are raking in to wipe away your tears! 😂

52 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

If a player were to have the choice for what team he should play, it essentially eliminates the purpose of a draft, IMO.

And as mentioned above, it's a privilege to play in the top sports leagues in the world. As such, there are rules to follow and rules related to the draft are there for a reason.

Agree 100%, but what's in place to ensure a draftee can't do this other than the team holding his rights? Just to talk this thru, for example, if the player is a first round draft pick that garners attention from other teams where he'd rather play, the team that originally drafted him will be eventually pressured to get something out of this  the longer he sits on the sidelines refusing to report/sign. I guess it's who blinks first unless there are more specific things in place to deter a draftee from doing this other than not playing, not collecting a paycheque and maybe receiving bad press. Eventually you would think the player, especially the higher draft picks, would win out but I could be missing something. Missing something like the league has stipulated that no other team can inquire about his services until said player reports and signs to that team?  

Edited by HardCoreBlue
Additional question at end.

15 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

It would be like MLB now without a draft.

Same teams are winning every year because they spend 200m/yr. So the #1 pick every year would probably sign with those teams.

Can you tell i hate MLB? Players totally own that league.

Players don't own the league. All owners make heaps of money but only some choose to reinvest back into it.