Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Morning Big Blue

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The Winnipeg Thread

All things newsworthy about the 'peg. The good and the bad. Okay mostly bad.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

  • Replies 1.2k
  • Views 149.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • I am mildly surprised to discover that a not-inconsiderable amount of Christmas gifts I ordered (ok... a few of them are for me), have been stranded in Winnipeg. i) I had no idea that this compan

  • So simplistic.  You're ignoring the fact (as always) that it was part of Winnipeg's commitment to implement the 94 recommendations of the Truth & Reconciliation Commission.   You may have hea

  • Our police salaries are ridiculous and the fleecing they do with "overtime" is insane.  It's arbitration. They take every single request and bump up their salaries.  We need fewer police and

Featured Replies

Is his family the Wyatt of "Wyatt Dowling Insurance"? I'm certain that's where my folks have insurance through (they live in good ol' T-Cones...) and I never connected the dots til today...

14 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Is his family the Wyatt of "Wyatt Dowling Insurance"? I'm certain that's where my folks have insurance through (they live in good ol' T-Cones...) and I never connected the dots til today...

Yes, that's his family's business. He worked there before getting into politics.

yeah I checked the Transcona page on facebook, alot of people are disgusted by this, and he wanted to run for Mayor on the platform of getting rid of the Primary Transit Network....yeah you ain't getting that job now

seriously though they need to find a solution for those that are struggling with it, me on the other hand am still having no issues with it at all, the buses are usually on time and the trips are rather quick

Edited by iHeart

not sure if it was ever posted on this page but while Polo is adding an A&F St.Vital is going to have Winnipeg's second Hot Topic location

Is it any wonder why alot of people don't trust politicians.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/2026/03/27/former-cabinet-minister-charged-with-sexual-assault

  • 1 month later...

so, Crock a Doodle has moved into Marble Slab's space at Kildonan Crossing, Sunrise Records is leaving Kildonan Place, and Hot Topic has opened at St V

  • Author
CBC
No image preview

Winnipeg's Fort Garry Hotel up for sale once more | CBC News

Downtown Winnipeg's historic Fort Garry Hotel is up for sale for the second time in seven years.
On 2026-03-26 at 6:31 PM, iHeart said:

not sure if it was ever posted on this page but while Polo is adding an A&F St.Vital is going to have Winnipeg's second Hot Topic location

I just went to the St Vital Hot Topic, I don't know if New Store Smell is a thing but it should be because it smelled like a dream night club (I can't say it smells like the 90's because to me the 90s would smell like a slurpee spilled on the floor of a 7-11 or any concession stand)

2 hours ago, iHeart said:

(I can't say it smells like the 90's because to me the 90s would smell like a slurpee spilled on the floor of a 7-11 or any concession stand)

I associate the 90's smell of going to the bar and smelling cigarettes and the smell of the guys loaded up with Axe body spray.

41 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I associate the 90's smell of going to the bar and smelling cigarettes and the smell of the guys loaded up with Axe body spray.

Drakkar Noir is more 90's. Axe didn't come out (in North America at least) until the early 2000's.

17 hours ago, Brandon said:

I associate the 90's smell of going to the bar and smelling cigarettes and the smell of the guys loaded up with Axe body spray.

Another one to me would be cigars and Chlorine or as I call it "memories of the old Holiday Inn in Grand Forks"

  • Author
Winnipeg Free Press
No image preview

Retail crime claims another 7-Eleven in Winnipeg; shoplif...

It may be a different location, but it’s a similar story playing out at a St. Vital 7-Eleven store that’s closing its doors at the end of the month.
8 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:
Winnipeg Free Press
No image preview

Retail crime claims another 7-Eleven in Winnipeg; shoplif...

It may be a different location, but it’s a similar story playing out at a St. Vital 7-Eleven store that’s closing its doors at the end of the month.

I've gone to the Dollarama next to Toys R Us on Regent 4 times in the last year. 3 of those times I've seen people walk out with bags of merchandise. The last time I went (last week), after a skeezy guy walked out of the store with two bags I saw the clerk right down on a piece of paper his details. I asked her if it happens a lot and she said that the full piece of paper for what she wrote down his details was the shoplifters she had marked down on her shift for that day. The paper was completely full.

Absolutely crazy amounts of theft happening these days.

  • 3 weeks later...

I like the Loon. But I can't vote.

  • 2 weeks later...

I checked out the new Princess Auto today. I can't really call it "We Have Cabela's at Home" because they have stuff that Cabela's doesn't have....I question why they have a Candy Cabin with Ice Cream (Complete with mini Arcade for some reason!)

38 minutes ago, iHeart said:

I checked out the new Princess Auto today. I can't really call it "We Have Cabela's at Home" because they have stuff that Cabela's doesn't have....I question why they have a Candy Cabin with Ice Cream (Complete with mini Arcade for some reason!)

Did you at least try out the beer and burgers? I cant wait to try it out.

21 minutes ago, Piggy 1 said:

Did you at least try out the beer and burgers? I cant wait to try it out.

I tried a hot dog, with their seasoned fries

  • 2 weeks later...

So they're replacing Blue Notes with a brand store of the parent company that owns Blue Notes also Forever 21 is done

Also RIP the last remaining Toys R Us store in Winnipeg the Play lab didn't do anything to save it (I don't know if there's one left but they should treat that like the last remaining Blockbuster in the US) Toy Story 5 warned us about all this. I don't have a link someone had posted on the Transcona page that it was closing and there were store closing signs everywhere....I'm kind of sad now, I'll have to make one final trip

Edited by iHeart

20 minutes ago, iHeart said:

Also RIP the last remaining Toys R Us store in Winnipeg the Play lab didn't do anything to save it (I don't know if there's one left but they should treat that like the last remaining Blockbuster in the US) Toy Story 5 warned us about all this. I don't have a link someone had posted on the Transcona page that it was closing and there were store closing signs everywhere....I'm kind of sad now, I'll have to make one final trip

It is unfortunate, toy prices have just gone insane post COVID. $50 for an extremely cheap plastic toy that is barely better then dollarma quality. They rarely had any good deals and we ended up buying from Amazon / Wal Mart since they had deals and toys for half the price.

That location tried throwing poop on the wall with so many random half baked ideas.

A few years back, I remember for like 2 weeks they tried to become bed, bath, and beyond and had half the store with linens, humidifiers, fruit mixers etc....

They tried to insert a mini HMV with a large amount of over priced vinyls.

They massively expanded the book selection while removing the affordable science gifts that were perfect for b-day parties.

Made a play land.... 10 years too late as the city already has a tonne of play lands.

the ironic thing is suddenly Dollorama is selling more commercial toys rather than cheap knock offs they used to sell

well at least if it closes in time, we'll have a nice big spot for Spirit Halloween this year (I don't know how they pick their spots during the year or how many months in advance but still...)

Edited by iHeart

I must have missed the news where we were finally getting a physical ENDY location....if we're going to get that then I want a physical Shein and Wayfair (yes I am aware they are problematic, but what company isn't these days?)

Edited by iHeart

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.