Golden Knights? Not so fast

Goalie

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

that is not the RCAF logo....

They did explicitly ask permission and signed an extensive contract on how the logo can and can't be used.  It isn't the exact logo but it is certainly inspired from and had they not signed the contract could have had legal issues.

None of this logo / name stuff makes much sense to me...

Why was "Knights" an issue in the first place?  Is London, ON in some way threatened by a Vegas team with the same name?  Maybe they should call themselves Londoncanada, ON so as not to benefit from any mistaken London, UK references.

Why is "Golden Knights" an issue?  It's not as if there aren't many Tigers, Eagles, Giants, Cardinals etc etc etc

18 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

None of this logo / name stuff makes much sense to me...

Why was "Knights" an issue in the first place?  Is London, ON in some way threatened by a Vegas team with the same name?  Maybe they should call themselves Londoncanada, ON so as not to benefit from any mistaken London, UK references.

Why is "Golden Knights" an issue?  It's not as if there aren't many Tigers, Eagles, Giants, Cardinals etc etc etc

I agree.  Im not sure why "Knights" was an issue.  Its one thing for London to get pissy but something entirely else to actually have a case.  And its not like the NHL couldnt appease London in some way.

Golden Knights is even more specific though and uses a similar logo and colour scheme as the other Golden Knights.  Given the fact they had an issue with London over "Knights", how could they not have googled "Golden Knights" and nipped it in the bud beforehand? 

If anything, they should make a deal with London and drop the Golden and tell the other team to go **** themselves.  Vegas Knights is infinitely better than Golden Knights.

Okay guys, lets not split hairs.  The Jets logo is a lot closer to the RCAF than the Vegas logo is to the other Golden Knights.  If the RCAF said no, Jets would have a completely different logo even if they wanted to use the same one.  Its just too close.  Then again, Im no trademark lawyer.

I do know that the original logo of my wrestling company was based on the corporate logo of our investor.  It contained a blue swish and he had sued another company for using a the same swish.  And he won a settlement. 

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Nevada Knights would be my choice.  

Difference between the Jets and the RCAF and this one? Jets got permission. Also got permission from the leafs also to use the well maple leaf. Vegas didn't get permission 

I prefer Vegas Knights if it was just Knights.  In fact as silly as dropping the "Las" is, it makes sense in that context in double meaning.  Vegas Knights = Vegas Nights.  No one says "I cant wait to experience those wild Nevada Nights" lol

Can't compare Vegas next year to Jets in 2011.

We're all talking in the other thread how bad the Thrashers were - but they were still an NHL team prior to Wpg!  Wheeler, Little, Ladd, Byfuglien, Enstrom - at least we had some skilled guys who'd played together before Wpg. 

No way Vegas gets more than a couple guys of that caliber - and if they do, it'll take time to build chemistry. 

Then again, with the 3 point games, Vegas will probably be within 10-15 pts of the last playoff spot next year.